www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-06-21, 22:07   #8111
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Nevermind, don't feel like arguing

Last edited by charmedangelin; 19-06-21 at 22:22.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-21, 22:57   #8112
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Auto aim is outdated and boring. There's nothing challenging about the LAU combat system. Also, there's more options then just have lock-on or slow motion (or "shooting galleries") when it comes to manual aiming on consoles.

Yesterday I played Returnal on a friend's PS5. I'm trash with stick aim because whenever I play a game with a controller, I use gyro aiming. But Returnal has an option for the amount of aim assist and it let me perform pretty well. And that game has very fast paced combat for a 3rd person console game.
Because it's fun? Not to mention difficulty comes from alot more than just manual/auto-aim.

From the Returnal Gameplay, it seems they had to make every enemy massive in order for this to work. (Way bigger than say, a Lion or rats and bats.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
That's not what I said. What I said is that as soon as a game has a fairly large focus on ranged combat, aiming should be manual. If combat in a game is 70-80% melee based and 20-30% ranged, then auto aim is okay, because the focus clearly lies on melee combat, not ranged.

LMAO what? Is it possible that you think that manual aiming always equals "Gears of War/Uncharted"-style combat gameplay? Because there's much more to it than just cover based shooting and moving really slowly while aiming.

GTA even always had manual aim on PC.
The entire modern gaming industry with how almost every shooter is a cover-shooter nowadays. (even ones that previously encouraged run 'n gun, like TR, GTA or Sniper Elite.)

Old GTA manual aiming was broken because the game wasn't designed around it, not to mention being very awkward due to the way Rockstar poorly altered game mechanics. (You can shoot over walls for instance and trying to shoot someone point blank is a nightmare.)

Even modern GTA makes heavy use of a full-on lock-on system, just with the option for manual aim as well. (Like snapping to a target with auto-aim, going to manual then hitting a headshot.), GTA 4 actually lets you be surprisingly mobile during gunfights which is why I still enjoy it, you can roll around like a mad man snapping to targets left and right, so it's can actually be played like an auto-aim game with a focus on movement.

Last edited by Samz; 19-06-21 at 23:25.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 00:48   #8113
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Just bcuz we have manual aiming doesn't mean TR has to be cover based. Black Widow has shown this in the Avengers game. Lara can stay out of cover during fire fights but add in manual aiming for difficulty, making targets harder to hit. Then give us the acrobatic dodges and flips to avoid incoming fire. Maybe the enemies Lara fights can be just as skilled at dodging like her so its less of a bullet sponge situation
Old 20-06-21, 09:25   #8114
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
Just bcuz we have manual aiming doesn't mean TR has to be cover based. Black Widow has shown this in the Avengers game. Lara can stay out of cover during fire fights but add in manual aiming for difficulty, making targets harder to hit. Then give us the acrobatic dodges and flips to avoid incoming fire. Maybe the enemies Lara fights can be just as skilled at dodging like her so its less of a bullet sponge situation
This is what I said about 10 pages back before we got into the auto Vs manual discussion. I never minded the change in principle but the realisation could be so much more interesting. Hopefully they use mechanics from Avengers and Guardians.
Old 20-06-21, 10:25   #8115
DOPE
Relic Hunter

manual aim can still be stylish
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-21, 10:48   #8116
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Auto is easier, especially for lazy individuals such as myself. I haven't played any of the reboot games, but there was one game that I did play (possibly Anniversary) which had an auto grab vs a manual grab, and the auto grab was a lot easier.
Old 20-06-21, 11:20   #8117
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Because it's fun? Not to mention difficulty comes from alot more than just manual/auto-aim.
When it comes to shooting games than a lot of difficulty is removed when you can just lock-on with auto aim. Lock-on mechanics work in games like soulslikes because of their generally hard nature. But I heavily doubt that TR fans would be okay with Lara dying very easily if they don't dodge at the exact right moment.

Quote:
From the Returnal Gameplay, it seems they had to make every enemy massive in order for this to work. (Way bigger than say, a Lion or rats and bats.)
There's also smaller enemies in Returnal. And aside from that Fortnite has wolves and boars that attack you and that game has much less aim assist when being played with a controller and it still works.

Quote:
The entire modern gaming industry with how almost every shooter is a cover-shooter nowadays. (even ones that previously encouraged run 'n gun, like TR, GTA or Sniper Elite.)
What you call "nowadays" was maybe 5 years ago. Because in the real nowadays developers are returning to run and gun gameplay. Just look at Doom Eternal, Fortnite, Splatoon, Quake Champions, Overwatch etc.

Quote:
Old GTA manual aiming was broken because the game wasn't designed around it, not to mention being very awkward due to the way Rockstar poorly altered game mechanics. (You can shoot over walls for instance and trying to shoot someone point blank is a nightmare.)

Even modern GTA makes heavy use of a full-on lock-on system, just with the option for manual aim as well. (Like snapping to a target with auto-aim, going to manual then hitting a headshot.), GTA 4 actually lets you be surprisingly mobile during gunfights which is why I still enjoy it, you can roll around like a mad man snapping to targets left and right, so it's can actually be played like an auto-aim game with a focus on movement.
On PC with mouse and keyboard (which I was mentioning) every GTA game has proper mouse aim without any lock-on mechanisms and it works really well. Hell, GTA III and Vice City on PC control like Max Payne 1 and 2.

And nowadays at least the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation consoles can have aiming almost as precise as with a mouse thanks to the gyro sensor in the controllers. Considering that apparently the biggest part of the TR community plays on PlayStation, Crystal could easily integrate gyro aiming and make combat faster paced and more challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
All of this.
Old 20-06-21, 11:30   #8118
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I'm quite neutral between auto or manual aim, I like both. What I dislike is cover-based and always fighting mercenaries. Also I would like the acrobatics to return. They are my priorities.

BTW, what if the remake from Bluepoint Games and Square Enix was Nomad Soul ? That would be cool and unexpected. As long as it's not Final Fantasy again !
Old 20-06-21, 14:56   #8119
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:

Exactly, TR was difficult for it's platforming, environmental puzzle solving, and trap maneuvering. The auto aim was fun, the way you can flip and roll around, the way you could manipulate her dual pistols, it was fun.

Yet people have completely forgotten the concept that games are meant to be fun. Classics had plenty of challenge on their own. Manual aiming for the sake of challenge is just artificial difficulty to me.

True difficulty comes in level design and how you keep the player on their toes. It's so dumb that people think games are only ever challenging if they have combat. They focus so much on the action aspect that they completely ignore that TR is also............and adventure game. The adventure especially being the main reason Lara explorers any of those places at all.

But don't say or mention this to anyone, TR games are only meant to put a bullet in the skull of her enemies, who needs platforming, puzzles, traps ect. No TR has to be just another bland shooter.
Old 20-06-21, 18:43   #8120
Vaskito
Tomb Raider

Manual aim is not about difficultty to me. It's about engagement. I feel much more engaged with manual aim than I ever will with auto aim, press one button and take a nap