www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 04-02-21, 10:35   #51
WhoIAm
Hobbyist

I believe the biggest roadblock that prevented the Dreamcast TR games from being emulated was their dependence on the Windows CE subsystem designed for the console. Few games used it and emulators explicitly didn't support those games IIRC.

Nevertheless, I own TR4 on Dreamcast (I wrote the platform differences section of the game's TCRF page) and while it's a decent port, the controls really bring it down for me. The lack of a Select button gets annoying really fast because for whatever reason, they chose to make the inventory a sub-menu of the Pause screen, meaning you have to press multiple buttons to equip anything instead of just the one. Also, due to the way sprinting and crawling are mapped, you can't do the cool "sprint into a roll" move like in other versions.

The dynamic shadows are really nice though. Wonder if there's a good way to bring those to the other TR games.
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 10:43   #52
UroshUchiha
Explorer

Last time I checked TR4 and TR5 on Retroarch using Flycast core it worked rather well. But I only tested the first levels to see if it works. Will have to reinstall it again to check, maybe there was a regression in the core updates.

I also remember redream emulator announcing that they'll do WinCE support at some time but I haven't been following that one for a while so not sure if they added it.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 13:39   #53
Yuki Senoue
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Last time I checked TR4 and TR5 on Retroarch using Flycast core it worked rather well. But I only tested the first levels to see if it works. Will have to reinstall it again to check, maybe there was a regression in the core updates.

I also remember redream emulator announcing that they'll do WinCE support at some time but I haven't been following that one for a while so not sure if they added it.
Redream didn't got WinCE yet. Tested it this week. Flycast and Demul run DC TR pretty well.
Old 12-02-21, 19:55   #54
Dan-d
Student

I just played like an hour of TRC using Retroarch and Flycast. It works perfectly fine, except the sound sometimes gets glitchy for a second. Also, it looks extra crisp with AA shader and anisotropic filtering set to 16.
I'd also like to add that on top of dynamic shadow (point lights are shadow casters too by the way) and better bump mapping, the whole level is rendered. Meaning there's no black fog and 25 squares rendering limit.
Dan-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-21, 01:11   #55
Delroj
Hobbyist

Hi i've been using the emulator, everything works fine except the menu, to enter inventory i have to wait because emulator freezes a little bit, the rest works perfectly fine. Anybody had the same issue?
Delroj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-21, 16:19   #56
PedroTheGamer
Explorer

^ dreamcast games are difficult to emulate , few emulators can do that. I suggest you use the retroarch (and an excellent emulator) it is a bit heavy but it can emulate some dreamcast games. you can experiment with TR4.
Old 16-03-21, 11:22   #57
UroshUchiha
Explorer

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/c...wince_support/
Just tested TRIV for a bit and it works fine (didn't play a lot).
TRV hangs the emulator after the intro cinematic after you start the new game.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-21, 18:07   #58
Delroj
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroTheGamer View Post
^ dreamcast games are difficult to emulate , few emulators can do that. I suggest you use the retroarch (and an excellent emulator) it is a bit heavy but it can emulate some dreamcast games. you can experiment with TR4.
That's the one i'm using, but wait 30 seconds to open or close inventory is really anoying
Delroj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 01:53   #59
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Just tested on a DC emulator, and yes the TRC FMV quality is the best I've seen, but the image is rather soft. Regardless, if these FMVs could be ripped from the disc, perhaps a talented fan could work some magic to improve the image a bit.
Sorry if I've missed a subsequent mention but has anyone looked into this? I'm not familiar with DC at all but this intriguing based on the fact that the PC fmvs were such a low res.

Edit : nvm saw kirishinas comment. Mobile screen foruming sorry D;

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 09-07-21 at 02:45.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-21, 00:39   #60
Kirishima
Explorer

It's not that the pc version was lower res (they're actually higher), it's just the quality of the compression is worse. Also, the fmv after the Russia/Submarine section is just a lower res re-encode of the PC version's fmv rather than a complete re-encode (with all the same artifacts), the ps1 version of that fmv might be a better choice for a remaster.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote