www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 26-05-21, 19:16   #1
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

Default "Crap Puzzle"

I don't know if this forum is aware (I haven't searched), but a prototype version of the PSX version of TR4 is available. _Seth and I were playing it yesterday and noticed a funny label for the piece of paper you pick up from the skeleton in Underneath the Sphynx: http://imgur.com/a/YjNrHC0

One wonders if this is what whoever originally named this object thought about the puzzle in fairness, they aren't wrong. I've always assumed the piece of paper was to indicate you had to push the buttons in alphabetical order, but of course there's no way the Egyptians could have known the order of equivalent letters in some future alphabet...

Anyway, the whole game is pretty cool. Some places are just totally different (Chambers of Tulun sticks out there) and it was kind of fascinating going through it. Although unfortunately pretty much every level has something that doesn't work so most levels can't be finished completely. Still fun none the less.

https://hiddenpalace.org/Tomb_Raider...1999_prototype)

There is a Nov version too, but I haven't looked at that.

Edit: just realised this is the first thread I've opened in a decade lmao.

Last edited by xcrushterx; 26-05-21 at 19:43.
xcrushterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 05:22   #2
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

You can't spell "scrap" (SCRAP OF PAPER) without "crap." TBF they got the name right the first time.

Nice find btw.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 06:01   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Cool find
I wonder if it was a typo or if they intended it to be that way during development. Wouldn't be the only swear word hidden in the games.
Old 27-05-21, 09:22   #4
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a typo haha
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 13:21   #5
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushterx View Post
One wonders if this is what whoever originally named this object thought about the puzzle in fairness, they aren't wrong. I've always assumed the piece of paper was to indicate you had to push the buttons in alphabetical order, but of course there's no way the Egyptians could have known the order of equivalent letters in some future alphabet...
Which makes it a 'crap' puzzle. Sure it works to open the door, but there's no reason for the player to think 'I should push the buttons in modern alphabetical order'. So it doesn't really work as a puzzle.

For example they could have used the buttons to spell S - E - T to get the puzzle going, along with some clue about forming the name of the god you wish to banish.

Translating hieroglyphs is a great puzzle idea, this was just half baked.

Last edited by Boobandie; 27-05-21 at 13:23.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 15:26   #6
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Always agreed about that, not a well thought out puzzle.

There's another 'puzzle' in TR4 earlier too which was fudged, Citadel Gate 1, where you have sarcophagi to move and levers to pull. There are codes on a wall you can use but the fact is you don't really need them because of the way the three main levers are set up to work there are only four combinations and you have to use all of them anyway.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 17:46   #7
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

TR4 is my fave, but there are definitely some badly thought out puzzles. Although that's not surprising given the game's size. Not a puzzle as such, but the underwater maze in this same level doesn't seem to have any logic to it (please enlighten me if I have missed the solution - I have always just swam about aimlessly until I pulled all the switches). There is also a godawful maze in The Great Pyramid with the collapsing blocks. I know each block is one way but I'm not sure if there is a logic to which blocks are which direction.
Old 27-05-21, 19:42   #8
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Cool find
I wonder if it was a typo or if they intended it to be that way during development. Wouldn't be the only swear word hidden in the games.
Placeholder names like that and even offensive animations are used during game development all the time. Crash Bandicoot was called "Sonic's Ass Game" during development, Halo 1 was called "Monkey Nuts" during development, Halo 2 had a sprint function during development and the player character would hold up both middle fingers when you try to sprint while dual wielding weapons etc.
Old 31-05-21, 19:26   #9
Sarah7777
Inactive

Sarah7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-21, 00:28   #10
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Deleted comment

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 15-06-21 at 20:51. Reason: Banned website removed
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote