Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 25-10-20, 08:19   #191
Shirley_Manson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
Shadow selling less than Rise and Tomb Raider doesn't mean it flopped. By that definition did Tomb Raider III flop?

People wanna oush this narrative that "Oh my god Tomb Raider flopped what are we gonna do now" when, across the board, Shadow's reviews were within the "good" spectrum and still sold four millions. Yes the series needs to evolve beyond the 2013 formula becuase people are kinda bored of it and Shadow was definitely not as polished as Rise or Tomb Raider but less good =/= flop.
I meant "flopped" in a way that you described it, it sold less, didn't inovate and reviews weren't as stellar as they were for the other games. Maybe my language was too strong... It didn't flop Fallout 76 style, but it was still underwelming in comparisoun to the previous two games. Thats what I meant.
Also, TR3 didn't flop but it was a good indicator that it was time for a serious change... that's also needed now.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 09:00   #192
Calvolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley_Manson View Post
I meant "flopped" in a way that you described it, it sold less, didn't inovate and reviews weren't as stellar as they were for the other games. Maybe my language was too strong... It didn't flop Fallout 76 style, but it was still underwelming in comparisoun to the previous two games. Thats what I meant.
Also, TR3 didn't flop but it was a good indicator that it was time for a serious change... that's also needed now.
Shadow's fewer sales compared to Rise was primarily due to lack / failure of marketing if anything, game reviews still give it somewhat similar points to Rise.
Shadow basically lowered combat, thus pleasing the core fan base of TR, yet pushing some of the people that tr13 brought away, so the overall reviews did not change much.

But I do agree Rise was a better game, regardless of all the hate TR13 may receive in these forums, it was the best successful TR game by far and I can only hope any new game on the horizon can beat that.
Calvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 09:07   #193
Chamayoo

Uuuh Shadow is very probably closed to Rise in term of sales, today. I think now it's more about Rise/Shadow against TR2013.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 09:08   #194
Shirley_Manson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvolt View Post
Shadow basically lowered combat, thus pleasing the core fan base of TR, yet pushing some of the people that tr13 brought away, so the overall reviews did not change much.
Thats why I'm saying Crystal needs to let go of TR. They will never please (the majority of) classic fans, and they can't do what they really want either, which is make another over the top shooter, imo.
The studio and the franchise are horribly mismatched.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 09:33   #195
Calvolt

Quote:
Thats why I'm saying Crystal needs to let go of TR. They will never please (the majority of) classic fans, and they can't do what they really want either, which is make another over the top shooter, imo.
The studio and the franchise are horribly mismatched.
I get what you are coming from, and to that extend I feel you.

However these are corporate times, TR is just another franchise and they need to widen their player-base and thus sales to succeed, i.e. TR13 was a move towards that direction and it was a success. Anywhere else on the internet where you can contact your typical gamer communities you can see people bashing Shadow because of combat, and SE / CD needs to adapt to the general gaming META to succeed, that is capitalism in the end of the day. This said, I hope they keep what they started with Shadow and keep integrating the core parts of Tomb Raider to the RB. If not profitable, give us remasters at least, those shouldn't take too much resources.
Calvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 10:10   #196
LNSNHGTDS

Quote:
This statement I can agree with more.

It's just that a lot of people on these forums seem to be under the impression that because Shadow didn't do as well as Rise or Tomb Raider the series has now flopped / died / been cancelled / over / destroyed and Crystal (which had very little to do with Shadow anyway) should leave / stop existing / die.

In any case I do agree that change will be quite refreshing and interesting to see at this point in time. It's a little annoying that only Tomb Raider seems to be expected to always keep on reinveting itself to stay relevant while other big franchies can get away with releasing the same stuff over and over again but at least it means us fans can have a relatively new experience every few years.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-20, 11:10   #197
jajay119

I think it's a bit baseless to say Shadow didnt do as well as 2013 or Rise as we have no sales number to support that. The reviews were slightly below the others I will give that but then there were issues such as lack of innovation, lack of polish etc and needless changes that affected the game. Essentially once again the series is in a rut by the third installment because it doesnt know where it wants to go which shouldn't be a thing by that point. I think the sales are the biggest showing and I wpuldnt vibe surprised if Shadow has shifted 7 million units which is similar to that of Rise after two years and the reboot before the DE came out. I think people are unfair to Shadow.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 05:28   #198
Nerdy

With all due respect. Aren’t we asking this for like 13 years or something?

I gave up.

And this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
This. I think there are just people who don't like TR and want TR to transform into something else. Let them create a new IP for that.

Last edited by Nerdy; 02-11-20 at 05:31.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 23:32   #199
NYCL@R@

Why not a remake from Bluepoint? Just look at Shadow of The Colossus and Demon Souls.
NYCL@R@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 01:37   #200
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ View Post
Why not a remake from Bluepoint? Just look at Shadow of The Colossus and Demon Souls.
No.

Some people on this forum would have you think otherwise, to be sure - but 1:1 remakes of the classics (even with a little spit-polishing) wouldn't go over well with anybody but established fans of the franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I would ****ing love 1:1 remakes (remasters, more likely) of TR1-3 or whatever. I just wouldn't expect them to be very successful, which is what I think a lot of people on here are assuming they would be.

It would be sweet of SE to flush that money down the toilet, essentially, in a show of goodwill to us longtime fans, but especially given the state they're in now that Avengers has tanked...

It's just not going to happen, and I think that's just as well, because large parts of the fanbase would, I think, lose direction once they find out that a 1996 game doesn't "work" for everyone in 2020, the way it still works for them.

In a way, it would just cause another rift in the fandom. We're already shattered apart as it is, so I don't see any need for that.

Last edited by tomblover; 12-11-20 at 01:38.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote