www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 01-12-19, 04:40   #1
trfan16
Archaeologist

Default Question about Antarctica ending cutscene

I was watching badassgamz's walkthrough for the Antarctica level, and something caught my attention outside Willard's cabin window when he's talking to Lara. During one shot, I noticed a gun clipping through the wall of the cabin near the back window. It also looks like there is a human figure standing outside the window. Does anyone know who/what is standing outside the window during this cutscene? I thought this might be a glitch exclusive to BAG's video, but I checked the other Antarctica videos on Youtube and they all show the human-like figure standing outside the window. I tried using the search feature to see if someone else noticed this, but I couldn't find any posts about it. Has anyone else noticed this figure before?

trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 09:00   #2
Boobandie
Professor

Looks like the Willard(Jacket) model waiting for his cue. As Willard changes costume during this cutscene, he simply exists as two models. The one you see at the start of the cutscene swaps out for this one when Willard is out of shot. Usually these models are hidden in the floor or walls, so this looks like an oversight on Core's part with the window.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 11:02   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Thats a very good theory, though the starting position of the second Willard model (with outside clothing) is located well away from the window before it starts animating, as picture below.

An alternative theory could be that the ice wall seen through the window is creating a shadow shape that looks like a human. See other picture.

So which theory is correct? we need some more detective work

Old 01-12-19, 17:53   #4
trfan16
Archaeologist

Thank you both! I never thought of this mysterious object being Willard's model for the chase scene. I was thinking that maybe it was one of Willard's henchmen that was accidentally left in the cutscene. And thank you for the breakdown, The Great Chi! The behind the scene details are very interesting. I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, so it's interesting to learn how these in-game cutscenes work.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 20:58   #5
Boobandie
Professor

You're looking at it with fexinspect right Chi? If I'm recognising the program correctly. It would only show where the model is when initially placed in the map, not where it is when it's triggered. Have you seen the new cutscene viewer in the Software Development?

The location you can see through the window is the first position of Jacket Willard hiding round the corner with a gun, and his gun clips through the wall so it's definitely his model. Perhaps he and everything else is triggered to first position when the cutscene starts (you can see the table and crockery aren't in their correct positions either).

EDIT: Powered up the PC to check. Use TRNostalgia to fly the camera outside during the cutscene and you can see him standing there, gun at the ready, while Lara is chatting to his T-Shirt model.

Last edited by Boobandie; 01-12-19 at 21:10.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 12:23   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Well that's good you have confirmed it is the Willard outside model, behind the window as the starting position. So that's the mystery solved

As said earlier in the thread, its was a big mistake by the designers, as he can be seen through the window.

Mind you it took all these years before someone actually spotted the error
Old 05-12-19, 23:15   #7
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

That meteorite sure has mysterious abilities

Imagine all that could be done with the miraculous power of cloning

Old 05-12-19, 23:47   #8
Nerdy
Historian

I enjoy TRforums
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 21:04   #9
Patrick Shannon
Explorer

Great discovery and research! After all these years, we're still exposing an occasional behind-the-curtains discovery with these classic games!