Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-12-20, 21:57   #11
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
I also love the fact that the Yaaxil are all women lol.
Me too! And we also never had female enemies before so finally we had them! And they were stronger than any man in the game hidden behind a gun!

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 08-12-20 at 21:59.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 13:27   #12
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Me too! And we also never had female enemies before so finally we had them! And they were stronger than any man in the game hidden behind a gun!
Truly beautiful! They gave us what we asked for lol but put a twist on it! I still wish there were women mercenaries as well though.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-20, 06:45   #13
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Well, there were Jacqueline Natla, Sophia Leigh, Boaz and Amanda, but I assume you're referring to the reboots only? Or did you mean non-boss enemies, because those, sadly, have always been male up to Shadow.
To be honest I didn't even realize that all the Yaaxil were female. I was too scared of them too look that closely ��
But I'm happy they chose to include a broader variety of enemies. Shooting the same type of gunmen can get tiring quickly.

Last edited by ANoDE; 13-12-20 at 06:46.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-20, 16:24   #14
RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
From what I remember all the Yaaxil were females.
I think that they also had their breasts removed.
How do they reproduce I wonder...
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-20, 11:53   #15
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I just always assumed they were immortal and when Lara “kills” them they just temporary get stunned. Like those films where they shoot a ghost/demon they vanish in a puff of smoke only to return? Sort of like that.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-20, 12:23   #16
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
I don't know if that's how it works. I think that they might be outcasts or something, or maybe they are supernatural, so there is no explanation of how they came to be. Like the other Maya gods and goddesses.
They only had a purpose, they were made for the purpose of guarding Paititi and the box of Ix Chel.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 25-12-20 at 12:27.
AimlessThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 21:14   #17
GnautKrax

There's no hint in the official artbook that the Yaaxil are ALL women ... it's only in Lara's translation in that cutscene, and budding Tomb Raiders might make mistakes, y'know!

Though the figures on the left look somewhat suggestive, like men with more 'female' body shapes.

But the final, half-starved look makes them much creepier. Btw, cutting off the breasts wouldn't alter sex hormones, you'd have to mess with the base machinery. Also, the faces look mostly male, or they could be 70+ years old 'warrior' ladies..

Meaning, I see the guy-who-tried-to-prove-them-male's point. Personally, a supernatural origin story scares me less than what they appear to be.

According to the Wikipedia article, Chak Chel/Ixchel are names for the same Mayan goddess, an old woman; "in the past", she's also been associated with the classical moon goddess, depicted as a young woman. The snake and moon iconography in Lara's headdress is a mishmash of the two. Also,

Quote:
Ixchel as an earth and a war goddess

... crossed bones may adorn her skirt, and instead of human hands and feet, she sometimes has claws... More in particular, the jaguar goddess Ixchel could be conceived as a female warrior, with a gaping mouth suggestive of cannibalism...

Last edited by GnautKrax; 01-02-21 at 21:26.
GnautKrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 18:43   #18
Retrowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
To be fair, I can't remember now if the cutscene I'm thinking of is part of the main game or DLC. I'll have to check.

Edit: it's in the main game, from 33 mins in.

Everything about her face looks incredibly painful. Huge glasgow scarring on cheeks, missing lip, obtrusive nose piercings, protruding/embedded bone or ornament on chin, dishes for earrings.

There was an IGN speedrun video where the narrative director (or something) wondered if anyone had cosplayed this character. I don't think many are trying to go for the ornately busted face look.
Retrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-21, 20:06   #19
JuditePrince12

I hate how they were supposed to be women but you couldn't even tell. They should make female enemies clearer to recognize next time.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote