www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-12-19, 05:11   #141
tombraiderxii
Professor
 
tombraiderxii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calfornia, USA Gender: Male
Posts: 3,667
Default

I thought voting was going to be sooo easy, especially my top 3 and more importantly top 2, but the more I thought about it, I ended up switching them around completely lol

5 points - Vacation of the Tomb Raider, AgentXP

4 points - Puna's Revenge, LoreRaider

3 points - Lost in the Amazon, Reggie


2 points - Legacy of the Scion, Baslakor

1 point - Hostile Waters, SrDanielPonces

Well done everyone.
__________________
I'm just going to the store, to the store. I'm just going to the store.
tombraiderxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 08:52   #142
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist
 
Craig Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Berkeley, California
Posts: 1,101
Default Top 5

1st Place – Hostile Waters by SrDanielPonces
2nd Place – Puna’s Revenge by LoreRaider
3rd Place – Legacy of the Scion by Baslakor
4th Place – Sleeping with the Fishes by tombraiderxii
5th Place – The Russian Base by dinne




Top 5 Comments:
Best Overall: Hostile Waters by SrDanielPonces
Perfect custom animations, a beautiful sense of isolation of the vibrantly blue undersea caverns dripping with moss, the smart original puzzles, and the great sense of opening-up and discovery that accompanied the back and forth exploration of these two levels made this game top of my list.
Best Nostalgia: Puna’s Revenge by LoreRaider
In addition to fluid gameplay and clever puzzles, the atmospheric details of undulating moonlight and Lara’s echoing footsteps make these levels shine. Seeing some of TR3’s beta locations brought back to life was breathtaking. I especially enjoyed the cliffside and tree traversal above the mud river, and found the spider’s hole in Puna’s Lair one of the creepiest locations I have ever seen in a custom level.
Best Classic Gameplay: Legacy of the Scion by Baslakor
Perfectly evocative of TR1 in terms of lighting and architecture, this level’s challenges are on par with those in Shadow of the Cat, and then some. I loved the hieroglyphs puzzle, the non-linear challenges out of the central temple hub, and the vertical cavern climb around the gigantic cat statue.
Best Reimagining: Sleeping with the Fishes by tombraiderxii
Many levels in this competition recreated classic locations, and in this case, I enjoyed the reimagining more than the original. The challenges here were trickier, but the architecture and layout were also far more sophisticated, especially the huge underwater cavern.
Most Challenging: The Russian Base by dinne
This level took me longer than any other. Navigating the gargantuan storage spaces and narrow corridors was made trickier by the fearsome enemies. However, dinne’s skills as a designer shone through: there were always just enough medipacks and ammo, and always a little hint about where to go next. With a blazing explosion of a finish, this has got to be one of the best debut levels ever.

Some additional shout-outs I’d like to make:
Best Original Settings: Vacation of the Tomb Raider by AgentXP / Lost in the Amazon by Reggie
While this competition was all about recreating classics, both AgentXP’s and Reggie’s levels stood out by using old assets to create something entirely new. Combining textures from so many different levels, “Vacation of the Tomb Raider” had smooth gameplay and an original story that was fresh and engaging. “Lost in the Amazon” was a great retro raid with elements from the X-Files and Lost, and again used a unique combination of textures to send Lara where she has never gone before.
Best Redux Setting: All Roads lead to Rome by LOTRKingluis
I love Chronicles Rome, and this level improved on the original’s gameplay and story while maintaining the atmosphere and urban traversal that made it great. I especially liked running around rooftops, and discovering blue rose secret made me laugh out loud.
Best Secrets: In the Highlands by grinder1
Along with fantastic use of Tomb Editor’s diagonal walls to create original castle architecture, this level borrows from Lost Artifact not only in its Scottish setting but also in its extensive secret areas. One of these, involving a complete leap of faith, was particularly satisfying to discover.
Promising Directions: Green Adventure by Croftyboy
It’s awesome to see new creators just starting in 2019! While I thought Croftyboy’s level would be better with some additional attention to texturing and switch placement, I really enjoyed the airy jungle atmosphere and hope to see more new authors (like Reggie, grinder1, and Scourge05 too) attempt such elaborate and ambitious building projects.

If anyone's curious, my reviews are all on trle.net (I'm Cbl on there)
__________________
Archaeology lecturer at San Francisco State. “Cbl” on trle.net.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 11:06   #143
dcw123
Relic Hunter
 
dcw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England, UK Gender:Male
Posts: 6,967
Default

2 more levels to play and I've played them all!

In terms of voting - I was gonna vote for the most nostalgic levels - ones which really captured the classic feel (rather than voting for the prettiest or more technical levels)
Would that be wrong of me?

Last edited by dcw123; 13-12-19 at 11:56.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 18:48   #144
Baslakor
Explorer
 
Baslakor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere, somehow
Posts: 942
Default

Love the additional information and feedback there Craig!

Damn, this is hard...

5 points - Puna's Revenge, LoreRaider
4 points - Hostile Waters, SrDanielPonces
3 points - Monastery of the Tailon, PhryneCroft
2 points - The Pyramid of Horus, Sabatu
1 points - Lost Library of Demetrius - DCW123

I want to give some special shout-outs as well!

Most Creative Artist:

Vacation of the Tomb Raider - AgentXP
AgentXP, you are by far the most creative builder this competition when it comes to mixing textures and objects from all previous game and create something smooth and fresh in the progress! Didn't get the same nostalgic feeling as with some of the other levels, however when it comes to the trle.net rating, your level really deserves to be there at the top! That coastal area was just stunning!!

Best Nostalgia:

Lost Library of Demetrius - DCW123
This level really made me feel 20'ish years younger. Really brought me back to playing the TR4 demo while waiting for the official release. Thanks for that! In the future I REALLY hope you will continue this level!

Best Underdog Level:

Green Adventure - Croftboy
Man, you were SOO close to getting some points here, but I fear the competition really is killing. I must admit from all the levels I played this competition, this is by far one of the more enjoyable ones! Keep building and learning, because there is a lot of potential here!

@dcw123 Use whatever rating system works for you. I know my top5 are not the best 5 levels (well, maybe the first two are), but I gave a lot of bonus points for nostalgia. Looking at other people's rating I believe they did something similar.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-19, 19:44   #145
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist
 
CheshireBitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,413
Default

TR3 lost in the amazon - 5 points
Pyramide of Horus - 4 points
Lost library of demetrius - 3 points
Hostile waters - 2 points
The russian base - 1 points


Hard to choose...
"lost in the amazon" really had me with the originality of the theme !
Pyramide of Horus and Lost Library were so close to the TR4 feeling it was insane.
Hostile waters was just incredible. Can't wait to play more from this author !
And the russian base used a very rare theme in the TRLE levels and nailed it. I loved it.
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 15:03   #146
Reggie
Tomb Raider
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Visa Versace
Posts: 22,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
TR3 lost in the amazon - 5 points
Pyramide of Horus - 4 points
Lost library of demetrius - 3 points
Hostile waters - 2 points
The russian base - 1 points


Hard to choose...
"lost in the amazon" really had me with the originality of the theme !
Pyramide of Horus and Lost Library were so close to the TR4 feeling it was insane.
Hostile waters was just incredible. Can't wait to play more from this author !
And the russian base used a very rare theme in the TRLE levels and nailed it. I loved it.
Thank you. <3
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 20:55   #147
croftyboy
Historian
 
croftyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Gallifrey
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
Promising Directions: Green Adventure by Croftyboy
It’s awesome to see new creators just starting in 2019! While I thought Croftyboy’s level would be better with some additional attention to texturing and switch placement, I really enjoyed the airy jungle atmosphere and hope to see more new authors (like Reggie, grinder1, and Scourge05 too) attempt such elaborate and ambitious building projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Best Underdog Level:
Green Adventure - Croftboy
Man, you were SOO close to getting some points here, but I fear the competition really is killing. I must admit from all the levels I played this competition, this is by far one of the more enjoyable ones! Keep building and learning, because there is a lot of potential here!
Thank you for your nice and constructive comments. The comments and reviews really matter for me because this was my first released level and I was really looking forward for feedbacks. Even the bad and unfair reviews are helpful to improve myself. Almost everyone talked about the potential they see in me and I cannot describe how good that feels. I'm hoping to bring new projects to the trle community soon.


I have three CaC levels left to finish, then I'll share my votes.
croftyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-19, 21:34   #148
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter
 
SrDanielPonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 8,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by croftyboy View Post
Thank you for your nice and constructive comments. The comments and reviews really matter for me because this was my first released level and I was really looking forward for feedbacks. Even the bad and unfair reviews are helpful to improve myself. Almost everyone talked about the potential they see in me and I cannot describe how good that feels. I'm hoping to bring new projects to the trle community soon.


I have three CaC levels left to finish, then I'll share my votes.
everyone went through this phase and look how we ended up. I did worse back in 2012. It's stupid not to believe someone will be able to do amazing levels in the future. I hope with this you learn the concept of good design and I am really looking forward to see your next level! Good luck !
SrDanielPonces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 11:27   #149
dcw123
Relic Hunter
 
dcw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England, UK Gender:Male
Posts: 6,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
everyone went through this phase and look how we ended up. I did worse back in 2012. It's stupid not to believe someone will be able to do amazing levels in the future. I hope with this you learn the concept of good design and I am really looking forward to see your next level! Good luck !
I actually stumbled across one of your 2012 levels on Youtube.
You've definitely improved soooo much since then.. its truly amazing
All it takes is practice.. and you'll improve.

Even myself - I've started learning new things again (though TBH TombEditor and all its user friendly tools have helped a lot)
I've now got a fully working TR2 Lara and movement setup using TRNG.
I just wish I'd had the setup at the start or this competition but oh well LOL
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-19, 15:03   #150
Woops
Explorer
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 938
Default

5 points - Hostile Waters, SrDanielPonces
4 points - Puna’s Revenge, LoreRaider
3 points - Vacation of the Tomb Raider, AgentXP
2 points - Sleeping with the Fishes, Tombraiderxii
1 point - TR3 Lost in the Amazon, Reggie


I would just like to thank everyone who participated for all the great fun. Every level was truly special in its own way, but these are my favorites. and a huge thank you to AgentXP for hosting the competition. Hopefully we see more CaC competitions happen in the future
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 18:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.