www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 26-02-21, 00:38   #35341
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
If those locations were never meant to be used, why even put them in the game?
Because it's used in a cutscene?

The no barrier mod only gives you access to places you can't access during normal gameplay. One is the gas station and the other is the alley and street where you run away from rocket launcher Nemesis.
Quote:
They designed RC as it was in the original with the intention of remaking it 1:1, then someone decided to cut it short.
Of course no one is saying that this decision was made 2-3 weeks before the release, but it's clear the wanted to push this thing out asap.
I really don't see it. Especially when we even have higher difficulty levels with remixed weapons and items. That kind of thing takes testing and balancing, which can time a bit of time.

Besides, I don't see why it's so hard to believe this game is just unfaithfully designed and that's it. Unlike RE2 remake, it wasn't developed by Capcom's primary offices and it didn't have any of the original devs to pinch in. RE2 remake had people from the original staff calling shots, and obviously that is going to affect the end product.
Old 26-02-21, 01:12   #35342
KylieDog
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
^ That's the Stagla station in RE3, this video is just using mods. The Gas Station can be accessed using a mod that removes some barriers in the city.

Except it wasn't.

Its development lasted the same amount of time as RE2 (started one year later and finished one year later as well), the game is not buggy, the game has a consistent story, its looks and animations are not shoddy. It's not unfinished. It's exactly how devs wanted it to be, no matter how much you hate that vision. Everything that makes R3make unpleasant for fans has to do with conscious design decisions, not lack of development time. When are fans going to realize this? The devs messed up when reimagining things and cutting way too much, but they built the exact game they set out to do for better or worse.

MP side modes have been a part of RE for more than a decade now, Resistance is nothing new and it's existence did not affect RE3's development in anyway because it had it's own budget and was not even developed by the team that made RE3 in the first place.

Reused assets are something that has been in the industry since the dawn of time, and even so it really wouldn't make much sense to NOT reuse them in the first place. It's the same incident, the same city, the same time.

RE3 might be disappointing and lacklustre, but it's not in any way unfinished.
RE3R isn't a normal level of asset reuse. RE2R reuses some assets but most are new, most of RE3R is not. If they had the same dev time then Wtf were the RE3R devs doing all that time, because it sure as hell wasn't making anywhere near the new amount of stuff RE2R devs were, and they still ended with a much shorter game. And no bonus modes.

Game stinks like they behind expectations early on and decided to reuse RE2 sewer and Nest location assets to do quicker made levels based on them instead of making new ones for RE3s actual locations. Nevermind all the enemies and all else reused. Plus the game is linear and scripted to hell vs RE2s freedom of progression, takes less bug testing for that. Again, same dev time as RE2R, clearly less work and end product.

Like, there has to be a good reason some dev said "What if instead of using RE3 locations in this RE3 Remake, we use RE2 assets for sewers and Nest 2" and didn't get fired.

I wonder if this why they were taken off RE4, behind on that too, maybe that dev said "What if instead of RE4 locations like castle and island, we have RE2R sewers recycled again and Nest 3?" only this time Capcom bosses said "Dude you saw how RE3R went" and this time did get fired. I joke. Sort of.

Just because a game is rushed doesn't mean it was a late decision, or that it needs be buggy, though Resistance sure needed more time in the oven. Being developed seperately doesn't matter, clearly RE3R needed ship that fiscal year or else they would have delayed it and not have half the offering a mess. Resistance just proves RE3R had a strict deadline.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 01:52   #35343
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
RE3R isn't a normal level of asset reuse. RE2R reuses some assets but most are new, most of RE3R is not. If they had the same dev time then Wtf were the RE3R devs doing all that time, because it sure as hell wasn't making anywhere near the new amount of stuff RE2R devs were, and they still ended with a much shorter game. And no bonus modes.
Well a lot goes into a game than just making 3D models. For example, the only animations that are reused in RE3 from RE2 are zombies, zombie dogs and the pale heads. And I personally have a big suspicion that pale heads were created for RE3, and Capcom inserted them in Ghost Survivors just because they were ready and they though "why the heck not?" since they were already making an extra mode.
Everything else from Nemesis, to the hunters, to cutscenes, the parasite infected zombies is brand new. And this is just animations I'm talking about. There is still level geometry, environmental objects, collision, AI, etc.

A game being short does not equal less development time or being rushed? Re7 had as much development time as both RE2 and 3 and it's not the same length as either of them. And of course RE3 is short, the OG was short already, Capcom removed some things from the OG RE2 so the same was bound to happen again with R3make, except this time they over did it. They got way too scissor happy with development and cut away way more than they should have, of course it's gonna be a shorter game. And even if that wasn't the case, R3make still is the about a similar length as a lot of releases from the franchise like the PS1 trilogy or even RE7.

And the game DOES have bonus modes. First it has a whole ass multiplayer game with 5 different stages you can play and if that is not your cup of tea, the base game has higher difficulty levels that mix up enemies, items, weapons and even order of events sometimes. That can be considered an extra mode in and of itself.

Quote:
Game stinks like they behind expectations early on and decided to reuse RE2 sewer and Nest location assets to do quicker made levels based on them instead of making new ones for RE3s actual locations.
They might have reused assets to make those locations but it wasn't just copy paste them. And NEST2 acts as a replacement for the Dead Factory to keep the two games more thematically similar. And they probably thought gamers would be like "why the f are they using this old crumbling factory for research if they already have a high tech lab in the city?".

And should they have made an effort to include these sections without deleting OG RE3 locations in the first place? Of course, no one is disputing that. Still doesn't mean this game was quickly pushed out the window.
Quote:
Nevermind all the enemies and all else reused. Plus the game is linear and scripted to hell vs RE2s freedom of progression, takes less bug testing for that. Again, same dev time as RE2R, clearly less work and end product.
RE3 has always been more linear as RE2. And the huge discrepancy between exploration and puzzle solving between these two comes from the fact that it was made by a different studio and didn't include any of the OG RE3 developers, unlike RE2. It was made by outsiders and it shows.

And bug testing has absolutely nothing with consciously making a game more linear and action paced than its predecessor. Bug testing is for encountering bugs.
Quote:
Like, there has to be a good reason some dev said "What if instead of using RE3 locations in this RE3 Remake, we use RE2 assets for sewers and Nest 2" and didn't get fired.
Considering that didn't happen, I can see why they weren't fired. The locations might have been inspired by RE2 remake to make the games more thematically similar it's not like they just threw NEST1 in there and called it a day.
Quote:
I wonder if this why they were taken off RE4, behind on that too, maybe that dev said "What if instead of RE4 locations like castle and island, we have RE2R sewers recycled again and Nest 3?" only this time Capcom bosses said "Dude you saw how RE3R went" and this time did get fired. I joke. Sort of.
Well if the leaks can be believed, they got taken off RE4 precisely because they learned their lesson and were trying to make the game more faithful to the original lol And if truth be told, I can see that happening.

Quote:
Just because a game is rushed doesn't mean it was a late decision, or that it needs be buggy, though Resistance sure needed more time in the oven. Being developed seperately doesn't matter, clearly RE3R needed ship that fiscal year or else they would have delayed it and not have half the offering a mess. Resistance just proves RE3R had a strict deadline.
The release had been set for a while though, and even before it was announced there were leaks estimating that it would have come sometime around Q1 2020.

And the fiscal year thing doesn't even make sense. Capcom's fiscal year ends March 31st, R3make was released April 4th, when the new fiscal had begun.
Old 26-02-21, 02:55   #35344
KylieDog
Archaeologist

RE3 original is the least linear game in the series, you can play it a dozen times and do different paths events in each. After that is RE1 original, Survivor and REmake, most of the rest is completely linear.

Using Resistance as "Other game modes" when it's a different game does not count, c'mon with that. Nor is a difficulty a different mode. These are really thin stretches. A new mode is clearly something like 4th Survivor or Mercenaries. RE2 got its extra mode, RE3 did not. I'm not even going to count ghost survivors.

Those copies of games need be ordered, bought and shipped weeks ahead of release, you know that right?
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 06:32   #35345
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I just wish NEST2 was darker and creepier. By that point the game totally gave up any pretense of trying to be a horror and went full action with the brightly lit labs and fast-paced music playing. The NEST of RE2 remake was creepy as hell, in line with the rest of the game.

I can live without extra modes if the campaign was outstanding. Perhaps with again 2 separate campaigns for Jill and Carlos, that were a comparable length to RE2's Scenario A for Jill and perhaps a slightly shorter Scenario B for Carlos. That should have happened. They could probably have quite easily further expanded some areas from the original to make the game longer than the original was, if they wanted to, especially by adding more stuff in for Carlos. It could be as simple as making some areas of the game, such as the central Raccoon City area, the sewers and NEST2, a good 3-4 times the size they were and less linear. Carlos' hospital section was excellent.

I do think the game needed something more though, besides Resistance. Even if it was just an updated Mercenaries mode idk. I do like the touch of adding more and different enemy placement in the harder difficulties though.

I'm also bugged by small things, like Carlos not getting a full original RE3 outfit unlockable. Instead we just got a wig. RE2 remake even felt like it had more campaign content packed into it, more skins for Claire and Leon, overall more weapons in the game.

Not that it solves anything. We can discuss how the remake should have been executed better until we're blue in the face, it's done now and they're not going to re-remake it, or add any more DLC at this point.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-02-21 at 06:37.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 09:12   #35346
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I just wish NEST2 was darker and creepier. By that point the game totally gave up any pretense of trying to be a horror and went full action with the brightly lit labs and fast-paced music playing. The NEST of RE2 remake was creepy as hell, in line with the rest of the game.

I can live without extra modes if the campaign was outstanding. Perhaps with again 2 separate campaigns for Jill and Carlos, that were a comparable length to RE2's Scenario A for Jill and perhaps a slightly shorter Scenario B for Carlos. That should have happened. They could probably have quite easily further expanded some areas from the original to make the game longer than the original was, if they wanted to, especially by adding more stuff in for Carlos. It could be as simple as making some areas of the game, such as the central Raccoon City area, the sewers and NEST2, a good 3-4 times the size they were and less linear. Carlos' hospital section was excellent.

I do think the game needed something more though, besides Resistance. Even if it was just an updated Mercenaries mode idk. I do like the touch of adding more and different enemy placement in the harder difficulties though.

I'm also bugged by small things, like Carlos not getting a full original RE3 outfit unlockable. Instead we just got a wig. RE2 remake even felt like it had more campaign content packed into it, more skins for Claire and Leon, overall more weapons in the game.

Not that it solves anything. We can discuss how the remake should have been executed better until we're blue in the face, it's done now and they're not going to re-remake it, or add any more DLC at this point.
This. I feel like I've come to just accept the RE3 remake as it is seperate from the OG. It's a short but fun experience with great visuals, a great Jill and Carlos and some cool cutscenes.

I still see REmake - OG RE2 - OG RE3 as the official canon though.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 11:53   #35347
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

If you want to experience Resident Evil 2 but in the classic Tomb Raider engine you could play this demo by Zellphie, it's pretty promising with cool unique tweaks !

http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=3330
Old 26-02-21, 12:09   #35348
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I tried playing that demo and I just can't get past the car's exploding. No matter where I run, Claire always catches on fire.
Old 26-02-21, 15:29   #35349
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
If you want to experience Resident Evil 2 but in the classic Tomb Raider engine you could play this demo by Zellphie, it's pretty promising with cool unique tweaks !

http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=3330
I found a video of that on YouTube and it's a really cool level.

I think it needs limited ammo to make it more authentic, but still cool.

Also I got to the point where I started laughing whenever I heard "This must be...!", like is it necessary for her to say it every time she picks something up? Lol!
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-21, 16:02   #35350
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
I tried playing that demo and I just can't get past the car's exploding. No matter where I run, Claire always catches on fire.
Yeah it's confusing, I don't really know how to detect and avoid this exactly. I just know you have to get very close to the wall on the left and sprint into the street. Not very natural as method I know !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I found a video of that on YouTube and it's a really cool level.

I think it needs limited ammo to make it more authentic, but still cool.

Also I got to the point where I started laughing whenever I heard "This must be...!", like is it necessary for her to say it every time she picks something up? Lol!
Some sounds design are very funny choices ! Also when you hit the wall and Claire shouting "Nooooo !"
The fact he modified the engine to make the typewriter save is really cool ! Yeah limited ammos would add another good touch.