Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-05-21, 04:47   #3691
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
This review is depressingly fanboyish. I'd say reddit material.

"It's pretty, has cutscenes and it's brave cause doesn't let you can't change the story" like... uhhhh... 99% of the games on the market?

MS, just... just make a good Halo seriously, stop reviewing videogames.

As much as I don't like the The Last of Us part 2, they went with a story and stuck with it till the end. Most games that let you choose your path, end up feeling empty in the long run because most of the "choices" aren't really meaningful to the overall plot in the end IMO.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 05:45   #3692
ANoDE
Golden

Agreed, not every game needs to be designed around player choice, not even for replayability. In classic TR, you don't have any choices at all that affect how the story pans out, and they're still replay-worthy.
Personally I think the lack of choice is neither noteworthy nor something bad - as long as the general experience of the game goes well with this design.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-21, 18:25   #3693
Blackmoor

One of the things I liked about TLOU2 was that they didn't make the mistake that sometimes happen of merely repeating the same story but in a different guise. I like that they unabashedly just did the story they wanted to do.

I think a lot of games would have been tempted to rechurn out the same kind of format. A lot of sequels to films do this too.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 03:35   #3694
lance6439

one of my fave youtubers went back through a conserative whining about TLOU2 and WOW I forgot how butt hurt and pathetic these people were last year loved the part when the loco conserative was like "go woke go broke" and TLOU2 ended up being the most critically acclaimed game ever + pulled through with amazing sales

lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 20:09   #3695
ANoDE
Golden

This game is infuriating, depressing and wonderfully sweet all in one.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/album.php?albumid=549&pictureid=14742

This is such a perfect scene. Heartbreaking.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 20:36   #3696
Blackmoor

^It is but in terms of story format, I think it should have been the introduction scene to the game rather than the lovely though it was visually, "previously on TLOU" scene between Joel and Tommy that did open the game.

Personally, I think the museum scene - especially the bit where it ends with Ellie and Joel looking at the writing of dead Firefly on the wall where he writes "Liars" - achieves what the Tommy / Joel scene is trying to in a different but better way - ie, the reintroduction of the ending of the story of TLOU (the relationship between Ellie and Joel, her not believing Joel about what happened with the Fireflies, and the idea of the shadow of the Fireflies hanging over Joel).

It's the better scene and conveys more information than the Tommy + Joel previously on TLOU scene.

That museum should have been the prologue, then Tommy and Joel out on their patrol should have started the game.

On a different issue, I think that the first Abby scene (her and Owen out in the snow) should have been scrapped and instead of playing as Abby we should have played as Joel and experienced the betrayal as him rather than Abby.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 08-05-21 at 20:37.
Old 08-05-21, 22:44   #3697
Tombcool

Are there any games like TLOU and TLOU2?
Tombcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 23:50   #3698
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombcool View Post
Are there any games like TLOU and TLOU2?
Days Gone
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 00:16   #3699
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
On a different issue, I think that the first Abby scene (her and Owen out in the snow) should have been scrapped and instead of playing as Abby we should have played as Joel and experienced the betrayal as him rather than Abby.
I agree.

The fact that when we are introduced to Abby, Owen and the gang we're hinted at the fact she's looking for someone in Jackson and it's not hard to guess that she's after Joel. So I think if we played as Joel and Tommy out in the snow, bumping in to this random girl who then turns around and kills him... The shock factor would have been through the roof. It would have also helped with the immersion of us being in their world, one minute everything is fine and dandy for it all to go pear shaped in the blink of an eye.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 01:14   #3700
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
I agree.

The fact that when we are introduced to Abby, Owen and the gang we're hinted at the fact she's looking for someone in Jackson and it's not hard to guess that she's after Joel. So I think if we played as Joel and Tommy out in the snow, bumping in to this random girl who then turns around and kills him... The shock factor would have been through the roof. It would have also helped with the immersion of us being in their world, one minute everything is fine and dandy for it all to go pear shaped in the blink of an eye.
Agree.

The fact that Abby & Co. were there looking for "a man", plus knowing there'd been this huge hoo har regarding leaks (even though I didn't know what they were).... kind of gave it away to me. Even though I didn't want to know, a little bit of me knew this was about Joel's death the second we switched and played as Abby.

It was a mistake imo. It would have been way more satisfying to play out as Joel and Tommy on patrol and then being blindsighted by this person they rescued.

Plus it would then have been more interesting to work out who these people were. I mean, the fact that Joel told Tommy the story of the end of TLOU1 in the opening to TLOU2 meant that I knew they were Fireflies even though it wasn't said directly. That's just how storytelling works.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 09-05-21 at 01:18.