www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 06-07-18, 20:08   #101
DragonSlayer
Professor

@rewak
Those skals are indeed quite irritating but once you learn their movement pattern they are easy enough to handle, it's the enemies that appear later with the swords (not the priwen) that are more irritating than the skals.

My go to weapon is the common barbed cudgel it's great for reducing enemy stamina if you haven't got it already it can be found at the start of the sewer section where you go during the story, I've tried using the guns but I found them to be useless and inaccurate with enemies jumping about and teleporting skals shooting one is more miss than hit.

The combat could have benefited from a lot more work before the game was released.

A Vampyr review I read in Official PlayStation Magazine briefly mentioned Life is Strange in a mini section titled is it better than? They said Vampyr was not better than Life is Strange, with a brief line underneath saying completely unconcerned with combat mechanics this title is stronger for it.

I think Dontnod should avoid doing combat heavy games like Vampyr in future if the combat is going to be this bad, it's not bad but it's not great either, Dontnod should stick to developing games that aren't combat heavy unless they can get whoever created the combat system for Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Knight those 3 games had highly polished combat systems.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 20:40   #102
rewak
Professor

The ekons with swords? I found them alright actually, usually because they're fighting Priwen when I find them and I just watch from a distance until there's only one left standing then deal with them. I found the guns super helpful fighting Fergal, they just blew him away, but outside of that one fight they haven't been great and I honestly don't know why. It just all feels so unpolished and untested, not in the "this is innovative" way, in the "we rushed this" way. It's easily one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, because I can easily see what a great game it could have been with a more competent team and some more time in development. If I have a hankering to play a vampire story set in this era of London I'll get The Order 1886 back out.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 21:15   #103
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
The ekons with swords? I found them alright actually, usually because they're fighting Priwen when I find them and I just watch from a distance until there's only one left standing then deal with them. I found the guns super helpful fighting Fergal, they just blew him away, but outside of that one fight they haven't been great and I honestly don't know why. It just all feels so unpolished and untested, not in the "this is innovative" way, in the "we rushed this" way. It's easily one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, because I can easily see what a great game it could have been with a more competent team and some more time in development. If I have a hankering to play a vampire story set in this era of London I'll get The Order 1886 back out.
The ekons are annoying whenever I find them, they are almost always on their own sometimes I see them fighting skals, I have yet to see them fighting priwen.

Whenever I come across them I'm almost always dead within a few minutes those swords drain a lot of health, hopefully I'll never have to fight 2 ekons at the same time.

I didn't bother using guns on Fergal, I just spammed him with the common barbed cudgel I mentioned earlier and I used an ability on him I forget which one, I eventually defeated him, one thing I would change about the abilities is I would reduce the time before they can be used again from 90 seconds to maybe 40 seconds, 90 seconds is a long time during any fight to wait for an ability to become available for use again.
Old 11-07-18, 10:05   #104
DragonSlayer
Professor

I've nearly finished the game, the final boss was too easy just dodge and use melee attacks and ultimate ability, all her attacks can be easily avoided.

I solved what I thought was a bug but wasn't, I thought a bug had caused me to not be able to level up, it turns out that the game doesn't let you level up if your exp is in minus figures for example -500 I didn't know this at all AFAIK the game doesn't tell you that this can happen and my exp rarely went into minus figures which is why I thought it was a bug.
Old 11-07-18, 12:06   #105
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
I've nearly finished the game, the final boss was too easy just dodge and use melee attacks and ultimate ability, all her attacks can be easily avoided.

I solved what I thought was a bug but wasn't, I thought a bug had caused me to not be able to level up, it turns out that the game doesn't let you level up if your exp is in minus figures for example -500 I didn't know this at all AFAIK the game doesn't tell you that this can happen and my exp rarely went into minus figures which is why I thought it was a bug.
Yeah, the final two bosses were surprisingly easy I thought, especially compared to the boss at the basement of the hospital. Super annoying that one was.
Old 11-07-18, 14:34   #106
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Yeah, the final two bosses were surprisingly easy I thought, especially compared to the boss at the basement of the hospital. Super annoying that one was.
I didn't like the morgue fight either, IMO he was too overpowered an enemy to fight so early in the game I had to go away level up and come back for another go.

I was more than annoyed when I had to go back later in the game to get the insulin or whatever it was I had to get, I went straight to the morgue had I known the insulin was upstairs I could have avoided fighting all those annoying priwen in the basement.

Mccullum or whatever his name was, was annoying to fight at first, once I started using the abyss ability he didn't stand a chance, dodging the lights became the main challenge after I started using that ability on Mccullum.
Old 30-07-18, 21:59   #107
rewak
Professor

Announced today, a patch is coming soon that rebalances the gameplay, introduces an easy "Story Mode" that tones down the combat so you can focus on experiencing the story, and if you're a masochist a hard mode as well. Playing on Story Mode might actually get me back into this.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 15:32   #108
DragonSlayer
Professor

For anyone that is still playing Vampyr, the game was patched today an easier story mode and a hardcore mode for the truly insane who want to make a combat wise difficult game even more difficult than it needs to be.

I've been looking forward to playing on story mode as I find the combat to be clunky for lack of a better description, at times it was a bit unbalanced for example making a level one player fight a level thirty boss in the hospital basement.

Hand to hand and melee combat is ok using guns isn't as on the few occasions I used guns i found them to be very innacurate both upclose and at a distance.

Hopefully playing on story mode won't disable trophies it would be annoying if that happened.
Old 26-10-18, 22:38   #109
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Iíve been waiting for this game to drop in price and Iíve just saw it on Amazon for £20 so Iíve snapped it up, itíll be here tomorrow! Excited to play
Old 27-10-18, 02:07   #110
domino92
Tomb Raider

I've been meaning to replay this for some time, but I keep getting distracted with other games.

I started a no-kill run but didn't get past the intro. It should have been a great Halloween game, now there's not enough time.