Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 22-07-19, 04:56   #11
Cochrane
Golden

I think for the “I'd die without you” statements it depends a lot on context. For a couple that has been together for fifty years, yes, that can be okay. Among high schoolers or similar, I'd go with creepy as well.

What I find kind of creepy: The super-elaborate, often public, surprise marriage proposal that comes without ever talking to the partner (usually woman) about it beforehand. It creates a situation where she can't say “actually I prefer us living together without being married” or “let me think about that for a bit” or similar without being the bad guy. Starting a life-long relationship by essentially guilting one partner into it has always seemed kind of weird to me (though obviously it depends a lot on context and the pre-existing relationship).
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 05:06   #12
thabani33

It's as creepy as Kurtis Trent groping Lara at gunpoint and AoD fans consider that very romantic
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 05:39   #13
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I think for the “I'd die without you” statements it depends a lot on context. For a couple that has been together for fifty years, yes, that can be okay. Among high schoolers or similar, I'd go with creepy as well.
Pretty much.

People need to realize that there is world of difference between LOVING someone and being DEPENDANT on someone. Being dependant on someone leads to situations like battered wife syndrome where the victim won't let go of a partner who is absolutely abusive (both physically and mentally) towards them (and this applies both of Male and Female individuals.) The reason why they can't leave them is because they are so emotionally dependant on the person that they wouldn't know what to do with themselves without them.

Its not a good state of mind.

As for my input; I really can't stand how some movies and shows pertain to stalking as something innocent and harmless. I have been on the receiving end of it and I have to say that its anything BUT harmless.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 07:25   #14
TR1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
It's as creepy as Kurtis Trent groping Lara at gunpoint and AoD fans consider that very romantic
That's because they're the dumbest breed out there
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 07:35   #15
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
lmao!!
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 08:53   #16
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
no lies detected
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 09:48   #17
Samz

Quote:
I love that scene because of how awful it is.

Then Lara gropes him back after he locks her in the airlock thing.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 10:37   #18
Hazelphoenix

Ah, the double standards amusing.

———

I take the Kurtis scene for what it is, just a nod to both of them having chemistry and being sexually attracted to each other. It’d be way creepier in real life no doubt about it. It’s fictional though, and it worked, so nothing wrong, imo.

I think movies/books/games and fictional works in general should be free to take creative liberties even when it comes to more controversial stuff. They just want to tell a story, it doesn’t really matter if it’s positive or negative as long as it fiction.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 13:13   #19
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
Ah, the double standards amusing.

———

I take the Kurtis scene for what it is, just a nod to both of them having chemistry and being sexually attracted to each other. It’d be way creepier in real life no doubt about it. It’s fictional though, and it worked, so nothing wrong, imo.

I think movies/books/games and fictional works in general should be free to take creative liberties even when it comes to more controversial stuff. They just want to tell a story, it doesn’t really matter if it’s positive or negative as long as it fiction.
If I recall, didn't the beta documents NOT have this romance thing between Lara and Kurtis? I recall seeing somewhere that it was added later.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out it was mostly just the cutscene animators idea or something, I know Saints Row 1 had to have it's ending altered because Julius's animations were broken so they had to replace his walking animation with him looking at his watch.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 15:39   #20
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
lol I'm with you on that When I was younger I didn't realize how bad that scene really was, not I cringe. Wish Lara would have ripped him a new one for that.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote