www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 15-02-19, 23:49   #1
the magi
Hobbyist

Default Steam version of TR2

EDIT :Sorry guys. I made a mistake. The version I got was frm GOG.com, not Steam

Hey guys, I bought TR1+2+3 years ago off of GOG, but the only version that DOESN'T work is TR3. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a fix? Thanks.

When I try and run the TR3 executable, it asks for a CD.

Last edited by the magi; 23-02-19 at 07:32.
the magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-19, 01:55   #2
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

What exactly does it do when you try to run TRs 1 or 2?
Old 16-02-19, 07:42   #3
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I'm not sure about TR2, but I know TR1 needs DOSbox to run. Is this the case with TR2?
Old 16-02-19, 07:51   #4
Scilli
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the magi View Post
Hey guys, I bought TR1+2+3 years ago off of Steam, but the only version that works is TR3. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a fix? Thanks.
Hi magi
This is the easiest fix for Tomb Raider 1 Steam/GoG Version:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=932208684

Its an automated fix. You dont need to do anything other than installing it. It doesent even require DosBox anymore and runs on native resolution.
Old 16-02-19, 10:43   #5
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I'm not sure about TR2, but I know TR1 needs DOSbox to run. Is this the case with TR2?
Nope. TR1 was DOS based while TR2 onwards ran on Windows.
Old 16-02-19, 13:41   #6
tomee
Tomb Raider

I used a couple tweaks to restore music and fix resolution, but otherwise they all work fine for me. On Windows 7.
Old 16-02-19, 15:05   #7
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

All run fine via Steam for me and I use Windows 10, the only one that may provide some trouble could be TR1 due to how old it is but everything should come with the install to make it work otherwise Steam would not go ahead with releasing a port of it but the steam version loading times compared to the physical copies are a lot faster.

The only game you are really missing out is The Lost Artifact as you can get Unfinished Business and The Golden Mask for free and working with the Steam versions of TR1 and TR2 as far as I know but I did purchase TRTLA in its originality and can install it and play with no issue in case you were ever wondering of trying it out sometime.

If you get audio issues with being underwater, then coming out to land to hear no background and ambient music on TR2, a really odd fix I discovered is to go into the sound settings at the title screen and changing the music volume to 8 which fixes this issue fully for some reason though I have no idea why to be honest.

When it comes to the resolution issues not fitting your own, that may be due to the fact the TR2.exe in its properties is set in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME which will limit the amount of resolutions available in the setup before you play but you can change this yourself for it not to be set that way.

If the resolution itself still looks a little squashed to you, then you can always check out the Widescreen Patch to see if it helps at all or the Tomb Raider Series Multi Patch if your resolution still does not appear in the list of ones available to choose from.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 16-02-19 at 15:12.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-19, 10:50   #8
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight in my PM's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I used a couple tweaks to restore music and fix resolution, but otherwise they all work fine for me. On Windows 7.
Virus Windows 7, I'm done can't even afford a Win10 build wtf thanks for the quicky laugh!
Know I need those every now and the hell then!
Now, Dwight what is this? Were you itching THIS much to say something to me? If you want to be my friend, you gotta do better than this sad attempt at trolling. You need to be nicer to me if you want my attention.
Old 17-02-19, 14:38   #9
Woops
Historian

^ on a lighter note I really like your avatar
Old 17-02-19, 17:53   #10
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Now, Dwight what is this? Were you itching THIS much to say something to me? If you want to be my friend, you gotta do better than this sad attempt at trolling. You need to be nicer to me if you want my attention.
Just ignore him. He is a trouble causer on the forums and always looking for pity. Also somehow manages to keep getting banned then un-banned for some reason.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 17-02-19 at 17:55.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote