Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 17-01-19, 09:03   #10161
ggctuk

Just out of curiosity, how far along was the project to bring TR2 and TR3 enemies into TRNG? I remember they got melee enemies working correctly but had issues with armed enemies.

I only ask because I recently thought about doing a TR1 remake myself, and it would be much better if we had certain enemies behaving like they did in TR1 (like the T-Rex, Raptor and single-pistol enemies)
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 09:06   #10162
Dustie

I know of at least one TR1 remake project, but it doesn't seem to be utilizing TRNG plugins, which is probably what you have in mind. Attempts to use the plugin system to port enemies were halted, I believe.

At this point it's probably better to wait for TR5Main from MontyTRC, which is already at a very advanced stage of porting a lot of the enemies and objects from across the whole classic series and will have a new scripting system to provide modding functionality akin to that of TRNG. TombEditor will be used to make levels for TR5Main.

On a side note, I feel like doing 1:1 or nearly identical remakes at this point is very redundant. There are so few custom levels being released these days that spending your time and resources on something people have already seen one way or another is a bit of a waste. If you want to go for a "remake" really badly, I would go with something closer to the anniversary/reimagined/retold projects, where you have room for improvements and new things to surprise players.

Last edited by Dustie; 17-01-19 at 09:11.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 09:39   #10163
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I know of at least one TR1 remake project, but it doesn't seem to be utilizing TRNG plugins, which is probably what you have in mind. Attempts to use the plugin system to port enemies were halted, I believe.

At this point it's probably better to wait for TR5Main from MontyTRC, which is already at a very advanced stage of porting a lot of the enemies and objects from across the whole classic series and will have a new scripting system to provide modding functionality akin to that of TRNG. TombEditor will be used to make levels for TR5Main.

On a side note, I feel like doing 1:1 or nearly identical remakes at this point is very redundant. There are so few custom levels being released these days that spending your time and resources on something people have already seen one way or another is a bit of a waste. If you want to go for a "remake" really badly, I would go with something closer to the anniversary/reimagined/retold projects, where you have room for improvements and new things to surprise players.
Yeah, I would utilise TRNG plugins. I didn't know somebody else was doing a TR1 remake, though. Shows how long I've been out of the loop

Shame about the halting, but if TR5Main is going to have features from all of the games, it makes sense to wait for that to come out first. Especially since it already has a few features and enemy types from TR1 anyway.

I wouldn't do 1:1. It would be what I always thought a 'reimagining' should be. Familiar areas and puzzles but with a new twist to them.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 11:12   #10164
Dustie

I'd wait for TR5Main which might get a first release this spring and then you'd be able to start working on your project and testing TR5Main that way. Until then you can do planning and preparing with ideas, level layouts, textures and objects.
Old 17-02-19, 22:40   #10165
AkyV

Hello everyone!
Soon I'll want to work on a plugin feature, to reload ammo into weapons, stuffing the complex feature you can see here, only to one simple trigger.

I'd like to expand the feature as well, so I ask, is there anybody, who can send me one or more animation(s), even if they are not perfect yet, because I want to use them only to test the feature, where Lara reloads ammo into a weapon?
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 21:43   #10166
SrDanielPonces

Hey guys, I've made a timelapse of me doing a key in metasequoia
Hope you like it!!!

SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 23:38   #10167
Dustie

Nice video and I like how those keys turned out. Also cool to see what other people's techniques are for making objects and sourcing textures
Old 07-03-19, 00:04   #10168
klona
Golden

Oh wow. That's a pretty key!
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 00:11   #10169
Woops

Nice work
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 04:47   #10170
A_De

Interesting video. However creating every side face is such a time consuming thing... I'm too lazy for that. I would just create a planar shape for key's handle and then extruded it. After that it is easy to remove all unnecessary vertices/faces. And I never use painting pixel by pixel in PS, just switching off the anti-alias in lasso tool. Well, that is my preferences

Last edited by A_De; 07-03-19 at 04:52.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote