Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D

Old 08-04-20, 08:45   #1
DaroRaider

Thumbs up TR1 Sound Tool

Hello there once again fellow raiders!
As we are all inside at home and in confinaments, I decide to upload a new tool, a tool that let you to manage the Tomb Raider 1 sounds from a level.

I tried to help Feder with his project, from what was within my reach as much as possible and finally ended up making a fully functional tool, I hope it will be useful for other designers in the future.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Mediafire:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/z5qcx..._Tool.rar/file

Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d_...Zp2zc_1gGH4zvc

Open a .phd level

After you run the program, you have two buttons: Load and Save.
When you load a *.phd level, you see an interface like the one below:

The listbox show the Sound Map. You have a map for up to 256 sound ID in use. Each sound ID has a volume and one WAV or more to play.

-Sound can't be removed, is a complex type of ID sound, which is composed by more than one WAV.

"-1" is a free slot to add a new sound ID ( don't supported by this version )

-Sound ID #xx is a valid id.

Play sound

Choose a valid id Sound from the map, and click on "Play Sound". You will listen its WAV.

Extract WAV

You can extract the WAV from a sound ID to the disk.

Replace WAV

You can replace a WAV from a Sound ID chosing one from the disk.
Remember that you must respect the quality of the WAV according to the engine compatibility:

Channel: Mono
SampleRate: 22050 Khz
BitsPerSample: 8 bits
Format: PCM.

Note: Some modern codecs doesn't make an accurate conversion. Not all conversions are supported for the format stored in the classic PHD file.

Delete Sound

You can only delete the last sound ID in use. Deleting the last sound ID saves you from moving byte structures in between, so only the last defined ID is allowed to delete. By deleting the ID from the map, the WAV is completely removed.

Empty WAV

Emptying WAV is an alternative to "Delete Sound", byte structures are not removed and wav is also not removed, only a 1KB non-audible WAV is generated. Very useful to free memory of the PHD making WAVS short.

------------------
Volume:

Each sound ID is defined by a volume factor defined in the PHD. A sound ID with 0 is non-audible, a sound id with 32767 factor is the higher volume.
Click on "Set" to make changes.

Well, I think that's all for now, I did this version to improve a quick help to what was doing Feder with his project. I don't discard new improvements in this tool later.

good luck!
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 07:51   #2
mizuno_suisei

Hey! Can this be used for say - adding a missing sound effect? (such as, adding the explosion SFX to level1.phd, much like it is in 10c.phd. This sound doesnt copy during enemy transfers
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 07:55   #3
mizuno_suisei

Have you ever heard of a cool little tool named Tomb Raider Flares? It actually increases the brightness in every room in a PHD level file predefined by a percentage you choose.

Would be cool if we could do the opposite.. (Make rooms darker)
Old 16-04-20, 08:24   #4
ReH_

^ You can do this by using Rview
The lights in Rview goes from 0-31
0 = Brightest
31 = Darkest

It works for all classics i believe.

Last edited by ReH_; 16-04-20 at 08:26.
ReH_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 10:57   #5
mizuno_suisei

Unfortunately no matter what version of Rview I try, i always get access violation or floating point errors - requiring a task manager close of Rview any level, any type.

Trviewer is fine. Same with fexmerger.

Pixstr22 when I click on the object hierarchy tree I get errors just like Rview.

Ahh. Windows 10.
Old 17-04-20, 18:14   #6
Joey79100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Ahh. Windows 10.
You know, it's probably just that the tools either use outdated and fragile technologies, or they're just not tested correctly and easily break when a system is not exactly the same as the one they've been built on. Some programs (WADMerger for instance) have issues with floating points because the decimal symbol is different on the system. That's an example, but there may be plenty of reasons that you just can't blame on the system at all but the tool itself.
Mind that I'm not trying to trash the tools, some are just really not tested widely enough and consequently have buggy things that work on some configurations and not others. And it happens with many of them.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-22, 19:17   #7
nickp364

Very cool tool thank you!
nickp364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 01:02   #8
perryloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Unfortunately no matter what version of Rview I try, i always get access violation or floating point errors - requiring a task manager close of Rview any level, any type.

Trviewer is fine. Same with fexmerger.

Pixstr22 when I click on the object hierarchy tree I get errors just like Rview.

Ahh. Windows 10.
You can get them to work on old windows like win 7 and winXp, thats why I hold on to my old machines.

Another headache with old TR tools is Scripter4 to get DOZY, it works fine on old machines but not newer ones.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-22, 01:53   #9
mizuno_suisei

I fixed the scripter4 issue by disabling high DPI in properties so the entire window is rendered correctly

Also recall that I got Rview working eventually, I hadnt found the more (quiet) trf based singular update, possibly by sapper.