www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 29-10-19, 19:10   #801
TR-Freak
Professor

i think they should have scrapped the upgrade system. I found Lara's Level1 Jumpheight perfectly reasonable. The sprint-jump could have been a bit farther than that and the game would be more fun in platforming
Old 30-10-19, 02:17   #802
Boobandie
Professor

Problem is the later levels are built with the longer jumps in mind. Scrapping the upgrade system would mean editing every platforming section. Not enough time to fix it, and it was too late to remove it.

Though I do agree the level 1 jumps were fine. Some of the later levels like the biodome seem to be massive just to cope with how far she can leap.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 03:10   #803
KIKO
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Problem is the later levels are built with the longer jumps in mind. Scrapping the upgrade system would mean editing every platforming section. Not enough time to fix it, and it was too late to remove it.
Yeah this is true. Removing it would've probably come at the cost of more deleted areas. The way it was designed, it was very risky. Obviously it didn't translate well but I think changing Lara's jump ability every so often is pretty unique. I've never seen any other game do that. In fact most games I know with upgrade systems and RPG elements don't even require them in order to finish the game. That said, the jumping does cause trouble sometimes, you can easily overshoot a jump because it takes time to adapt to its distance.

I wish we had some documents on this whole upgrade system so we could understand and see the bigger picture or if this is all it ever was. I don't think I've seen one yet. I could be wrong though
KIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 08:33   #804
red_lion
Historian

I was inspecting my old CD's from AOD (I have two versions for the pc). I noticed the commons.cab and the release.cab had some strange names for the files like Core.mpg3 or TRAOD.exe1. In the release.cab I found a levelscreen image paris2b.jpg, paris2b.png and a paris2b.tga!

I found also an old manual (manual_uk.pdf) from 18-07-2003 in it I found strange information

Quote:
The bar flashes when the character is poisoned.
I don't remember when Lara or Kurtis gets poisoned or when the bar flashes..

Quote:
If Lara or Kurtis are poisoned or breathe in poisonous gases then their Health Meter will flash green and begin to reduce
This is not true in the pc retail version.

Quote:
Poisons can be treated by selecting a health item from the inventory
This is not true. It is in TRIV.

Quote:
Certain weapons can be loaded with different types of ammunition. When these types of weapon are highlighted a sub-option will appear to allow you to combine the alternative ammunitions.
This is new to me.

Quote:
Many items that Lara and Kurtis will collection will be health reltaed, whether they are antidotes bandages or standard Medi-packs.
Antidotes can only be found on the INVENT.GMX file, not in the game. So this must be in an earlier version.

Saves
In the game you can create 14 save games. It is not possible to make more.

If you go to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos Interactive\TRAOD\SaveGame. You'll see here it goes from 1.TRAODSG till E.TRAODSG. If you want more savegames you can copy and paste in it till J.TRAODSG. IF you have too much the game crashes, if you go to the load level section in the game.

Last edited by red_lion; 30-10-19 at 08:35.
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-19, 10:23   #805
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
https://i.imgur.com/Ez0rrkp.png

I don't remember when Lara or Kurtis gets poisoned or when the bar flashes..
I don't know about Kurtis, but Lara surely could get poisoned in the Biodome... There is a plant, that pukes yellow gas cloud, but does nothing to Lara. Maybe it was poisonous originally.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/7l5MZ8S.png

This is not true in the pc retail version.
It is true... Both in Delerict Apartments and Galleries under siege, her health bar decreases (also at the end of Biodome too); when it happens a small green bar appears and disappears.

Quote:
This is not true. It is in TRIV.

https://i.imgur.com/sn9gsR8.png

This is new to me.
So not only some classic animations were/are present, but game mechanics too. Interesting!

Quote:
Antidotes can only be found on the INVENT.GMX file, not in the game. So this must be in an earlier version.
This lines up with the unused dialogues of the Herbal shop.

Last edited by Zsott; 30-10-19 at 10:26.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-19, 00:28   #806
Girafarig32
Professor

I believe there was an unused item that treated for poison, but I can't remember if it was the antidote or another item. And yeah like Zsott said regarding the green poison bar.