www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 30-11-21, 19:24   #81
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
who cares about all those details and nuances when the story is so boring and uninteresting. When the script and characters interaction are flat af.

It's a puddle trying to convince us it is very deep. Maybe for a roach.
The lack of caring on your behalf is not the same as a lack of interest. Some threads are devoted to communicating ideas about story progression, the character evolution, and the details, and nuances the tombraiderforums.com users would see fit to communicate their opinion about. Roaches are survivors. Just like some of these threads. They want to be heard. It isn't convincing that is being communicated. But love.

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 30-11-21 at 19:26.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 19:26   #82
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
That reminds me, actually- how does OG Lara wind up nabbing the family estate if she's been disowned by her parents? Do they die and she winds up swiping it at an auction, or something?
Classic Lara inherits the mansion from a great-aunt. Her parents are still alive and can be seen in her memorial in TRC.

According to Vicky Arnold, her idea was that after Lara was disowned by her parents, she still had a couple of aunties who kept a look out for her. And it's one of these aunties who leaves Lara the mansion (the other is the owner of the infamous Corgi!)
Old 30-11-21, 19:46   #83
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
who cares about all those details and nuances when the story is so boring and uninteresting. When the script and characters interaction are flat af.

It's a puddle trying to convince us it is very deep. Maybe for a roach.
What, you mean having "A SURVIVOR IS BORN" splattered over the ending of 2013 isn't peak story telling? How will our braindead audience be trusted to think she's became a Survivor*?

*Even though Lara never at all feels like she changes at all beside having a functional melee attack barely an hour in.

Or Konstatine's Stigmata honestly being one of the dumbest plot threads I've ever seen.

Sure, Lara technically was first going after the Divine Sauce just because of Richard and maybe her love for adventure, but the game sure as Sam doesn't actually care about Lara's love for adventure.

The story pretty much has it included as a throwaway thing.

Last edited by Samz; 30-11-21 at 19:48.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 19:53   #84
Pelagius
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Classic Lara inherits the mansion from a great-aunt. Her parents are still alive and can be seen in her memorial in TRC.

According to Vicky Arnold, her idea was that after Lara was disowned by her parents, she still had a couple of aunties who kept a look out for her. And it's one of these aunties who leaves Lara the mansion (the other is the owner of the infamous Corgi!)
Ah, cheers- thanks for the information. (What is this infamous Corgi, btw?)
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 20:02   #85
bublehed
Historian

"Woke"
I hate this cringy word, and I wish it would ****ing die already.

I do agree with a lot of what the OP and others have said though.
bublehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 20:19   #86
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
Ah, cheers- thanks for the information. (What is this infamous Corgi, btw?)
You welcome! As for the Corgi, it's Lara's one fear, her aunties little vicious dog.
Old 30-11-21, 20:46   #87
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
You welcome! As for the Corgi, it's Lara's one fear, her aunties little vicious dog.
Lara's Nightmare should have had her be chased by a monstrous Corgi.
Old 01-12-21, 01:40   #88
SnatchingEdges
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
What, you mean having "A SURVIVOR IS BORN" splattered over the ending of 2013 isn't peak story telling? How will our braindead audience be trusted to think she's became a Survivor*?

*Even though Lara never at all feels like she changes at all beside having a functional melee attack barely an hour in.

Or Konstatine's Stigmata honestly being one of the dumbest plot threads I've ever seen.

Sure, Lara technically was first going after the Divine Sauce just because of Richard and maybe her love for adventure, but the game sure as Sam doesn't actually care about Lara's love for adventure.

The story pretty much has it included as a throwaway thing.
well yes they tried to make a super complex and psychological plot where characters weren't allowed to have fun or personalities because 'ohhhhh the story's so gritty and serious'.

And no one moved. Reading all these 'details' it looks like the games are so though-out and when we play them it's the most medicore, tryhard and bland plot we've ever seen.

And I wouldn't care if they hadn't stripped Tomb Raider of fun for a decade in favor of a realism and 'a psychological story' that went nowhere and satisfied the crazy amount of two fans and a half.
Old 01-12-21, 02:10   #89
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
well yes they tried to make a super complex and psychological plot where characters weren't allowed to have fun or personalities because 'ohhhhh the story's so gritty and serious'.

And no one moved. Reading all these 'details' it looks like the games are so though-out and when we play them it's the most medicore, tryhard and bland plot we've ever seen.

And I wouldn't care if they hadn't stripped Tomb Raider of fun for a decade in favor of a realism and 'a psychological story' that went nowhere and satisfied the crazy amount of two fans and a half.
CD has a knack for coming up with really interesting concepts and ideas and then not following through with them.
Remember when TReboot was gonna be all about surviving? Hunting for food to eat, healing from wounds, stranded on an island, some talk of a day and night cycle and weather patterns? Well we were stuck on an island. That much worked out.

Or how Rise had the tease of how Lara is in therapy for what happened and has to deal with the PTSD of the events on the island and what happened to her and her friends and then it just.. didnít happen.

Admittedly I keep falling for these ideas until I see how mediocre the gameplay is and then it puts me off of buying it, wait to watch some gameplay story footage, see itís not really what I was expecting from the talk before release, and Iím thankful I saved my money. I have little hope for this whole reunification timeline nonsense. Sounds like something CD likes to talk a big game about, but wonít actually fulfill themselves on.
Old 01-12-21, 05:04   #90
.snake.
Archaeologist

The problem with the Survivor trilogy's stories, is that everything is so on the nose and in your face that it they lose all form of "nuance" or "depth" in their story beats.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote