www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 01-12-21, 01:56   #4461
Danath
Archaeologist

Question More than 1 grid line on pillars?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I tried using the search thread option but couldn't find it, so...

My question is: can we make more than 1 grid line division on non-wall sectors? Like these ones marked in red:

If not, that is very unfortunate and i would like to suggest adding hotkeys for this.
Dxtre3D was able to do that by chosing a "number of blocks" for floor or ceiling and it applied grid lines to the blocks. But you couldn't alter the lines afaik.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 03:03   #4462
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I tried using the search thread option but couldn't find it, so...

My question is: can we make more than 1 grid line division on non-wall sectors? Like these ones marked in red:

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/hGK1QFsF/Sin-t-tulo.png[IMG]

If not, that is very unfortunate and i would like to suggest adding hotkeys for this.
Dxtre3D was able to do that by chosing a "number of blocks" for floor or ceiling and it applied grid lines to the blocks. But you couldn't alter the lines afaik.
This is how the level editor has always been unfortunately. I’ve wondered myself if it’s an engine limitation or an editor one.

Last edited by AkyV; 01-12-21 at 16:19.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 05:10   #4463
adngel
Historian

Outside of the editor, you can export the room and modify a bit its geometry.

Another alternative "In Editor" is make the room with multiple vertical rooms (instead of a room of 20 clicks, 2 rooms of 12 - 8 clicks on over the other, in such case you can put edges divisions to the lower blocks.
Old 01-12-21, 11:19   #4464
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
This is not just a matter of "adding hotkeys" or simply one more button in the interface. It's a matter of architecture. TE is based on winroomedit, which allows only one vertical split for both floor and ceiling. I remember dxtre3d allowed more, but also I remember that it only allowed full 1024 split sections, so that feature was extremely limiting.

As suggested, either export and reimort room geometry or just get used to classic TRLE workflow and use extra top/bottom rooms for more splits. Alternatively, you can jump back to dxtre3d camp.

Last edited by Lwmte; 01-12-21 at 11:23.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 16:43   #4465
Danath
Archaeologist

Wink

I wasn't trying to imply TE is worse or anything like that. In fact, it's infinitely better in so many ways.
Also, i don't have internal TR knowledge, that's why i'm asking if it's possible to do.

So i will have to live with dividing rooms then, it's a small price to pay for other many advancements.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 19:55   #4466
NicNamSam
Hobbyist

In the past, I've made extra texture sheet files for putting tall stacks of texture squares vertically above each other, so when I drag a long rectangle selection of that texture stack and apply it to a long, stretched grid rectangle, it looks similar to if the grid had more divisions and the textures aren't stretched.
NicNamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 22:40   #4467
justin
Professor

Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply TE is worse or anything like that. In fact, it's infinitely better in so many ways.
Also, i don't have internal TR knowledge, that's why i'm asking if it's possible to do.

So i will have to live with dividing rooms then, it's a small price to pay for other many advancements.
Don't worry,i don't think anyone thought you implied this

NicNamSam's suggestion is what i use (keeping in mind it doesn't hide cracks in lighting). I stack textures in my tga specifically for when i need to texture a 1x2 block (128x256) where the tile can't be split.
Old 01-12-21, 23:40   #4468
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Yeah, I was just talking that dxtre3d and winroomedit used completely different concepts, and in some parts one or other is not suitable at all. Sadly you have to adapt if you have jumped from one camp to another. Dxtre3d is still unbeatable in some parts, first of all, trigger management which is ways more organized than winroomedit/TE.

TE dev team tried their best to merge both camps into one, preserving best features of two. But some features simply can't be added because of major architectural differences.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 15:47   #4469
Masked Goon
Student

Default Trying to get the elevator to work in TR2

Hello there, I've got a question regarding the proper use of the elevator entity in TR2 engine levels. The one from the Opera House.

At first I figured it would simply be a case of plopping it in a level with some dummy triggers beneath and it would just work. I was wrong. Whenever I use it, only the part where the axis of the entity is located in the editor has any sort of collision.

The place where the arrows meet. The rest of the elevator has no collision and Lara just falls through it. How do I get it to work?

I hope this is the right place to ask.
Masked Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 16:42   #4470
adngel
Historian

/------------/Edit

I got it wrong, all what I said here is for TRNG engine, I have not tried the TR2 engine version.

/-----------/Original post
I have set that elevator recently.

The elevator object from Opera House, is an animating, its only collision is intended for the door (when is close, the collision should stop Lara from enter or exit), but the floor, ceiling and other walls collisions are handle by other objects that need to be placed.

Then with scripting, you set the functions to move up and down the elevator (the animating and all its collision objects).

So the actual "lift" are the platform_flat with their dummy triggers (they may even be invisible). But the elevator with its 4 animations, can help to control the system. (For example, the switches only works if the doors are open, otherwise, the lift is moving, so no more switches orders till it finishes).

For the walls, well.

In my case, I made a 4x4 room surounded to have solid walls, I still need to find a texture, but my idea is put a kind of net or iron scafolding.

Also, its possible to use a object collision (like the object PANEL_BORDER ) and to surround the elevator, and move them up and down with the floor and ceiling platforms.

If you want to check an example, I followed the NateH96's example project

Tomb Raider 2 TRLE Conversion Project: https://www.trsearch.org/item/4908

There you can see the .prj and scripts.

Last edited by adngel; 02-12-21 at 18:12.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote