Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 25-02-19, 23:28   #22671
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
This describes this community perfectly. Especially at the moment. What a weird place to be. If it wasn‘t for my interest in the franchise and the fact that I want to know every news firsthand, I‘d definitely be gone by now.
At least it's being noticed more and more. I felt like I was insane when I was the only person noticing how much this community flips and flops.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 23:36   #22672
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
At least it's being noticed more and more. I felt like I was insane when I was the only person noticing how much this community flips and flops.
Nah, people were talking just yesterday about how a certain member changed opinions drastically, to the point of coming off as insincere in her initial praising.

Either way, it has been very common since the LAU days and I’m also glad people are noticing it more and more.

I personally snapped a few weeks ago when people started praising Rise’s amazing color palette. I mean, are you ****ing kidding me with this? LOL
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 00:33   #22673
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
You all would have KICKED off he was the villain again. Guaranteed. I like him as a villain, I don’t mind villains passing over into the next game. But in another universe where Konstantin doesn’t die in RotTR and he’s in Shadow? “Omg Eidios are so uninspired give us something new, he wasn’t that good of a character, he was meh, Anna should have survived and been the villain”
Kind of like the hype with Natla returning when the TRU trailer dropped, and then after the game came out everyone was sick of her........
(I wasn’t sick of her, actually liked her presence in Underworld)
This is the tip of the iceberg. Literally try browsing posts from 10 years ago till now and you can put together an endless compilation of everyone on this forum flip flopping opinions (including myself probably ).

I guarantee you that if there was a time machine and a full play through of one of the reboot games was posted back then, or a synopsis of what the games are about, everyone would eat it up.

I swear I saw people posting about crafting systems or making your own recovery items as early as Legend, but now nobody wants it anymore.

Last edited by LaraCablara; 26-02-19 at 00:36.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 00:35   #22674
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
This is the tip of the iceberg. Literally try browsing posts from 10 years ago till now and you can put together an endless compilation of everyone on this forum flip flopping opinions (including myself probably ).

I guarantee you that if there was a time machine and a full play through of one of the reboot games was posted back then, or a synopsis of what the games are about, everyone would eat it up.
Maybe that would be true. But idk, I do like Konstantin (although Ana was better in some ways), so I guess I’m more or less just curious what it’d be like if things played out this way, partly due to my indifference to Dominguez.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 01:29   #22675
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post

I swear I saw people posting about crafting systems or making your own recovery items as early as Legend, but now nobody wants it anymore.
From what I've heard, back during the LAU days, users complained about the games being too campy. Not sure how true that is, but it's funny because people are begging for that tone nowadays.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 02:39   #22676
charmedangelin

Thing is Tomb Raider was never campy nor was it dead serious.

Classic Tomb Raider always meandered between the two. The idea that Tomb Raider is either campy or serious is ridiculous.

So is the idea that Tomb Raider cannot be serious.

Tomb Raiders tone and atmosphere, especially in classic was similar to that of dark souls in that the atmosphere always felt series when it needed to be and Lara was always sporty where it needed to be.

I don't want Tomb Raider to be campy and all jokes, laughs, lightheartedness. This was not Tomb Raider either.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 02:41   #22677
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

Classic Tomb Raider always meandered between the two. The idea that Tomb Raider is either campy or serious is ridiculous.

So is the idea that Tomb Raider cannot be serious.

Tomb Raiders tone and atmosphere, especially in classic was similar to that of dark souls in that the atmosphere always felt series when it needed to be and Lara was always sporty where it needed to be.

I don't want Tomb Raider to be campy and all jokes, laughs, lightheartedness. This was not Tomb Raider either.
I agree. It blended campy and serious nicely, just like how it sometimes blended realism and a cartoony art style. I always thought that worked really well.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 03:01   #22678
TrustyBow

Quote:

LAU was very campy. I would consider the classics to be campy too, but I realize thats a bit debatable.
Old 26-02-19, 03:11   #22679
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/sLFs8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medi um[IMG]

LAU was very campy. I would consider the classics to be campy too, but I realize thats a bit debatable.
LAU was campy I am not disagreeing, but classic really wasn't. Technical limitations prevented it from telling the story it it's own way.

I could say that the last bits of TR1 where she is captured in Egypt was a bit campy, but other then that nothing else from that era was ever really campy. Most of it was a mix between sport and seriousness.

It's why I agreed before that I find the notion that it is impossible for Tomb Raider to be a serious game ridiculous because Tomb Raider was always a mix of things.

At least in my opinion anyway.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-19, 03:24   #22680
TrustyBow

Quote:
LAU was campy I am not disagreeing, but classic really wasn't. Technical limitations prevented it from telling the story it it's own way.

I could say that the last bits of TR1 where she is captured in Egypt was a bit campy, but other then that nothing else from that era was ever really campy. Most of it was a mix between sport and seriousness.

It's why I agreed before that I find the notion that it is impossible for Tomb Raider to be a serious game ridiculous because Tomb Raider was always a mix of things.

At least in my opinion anyway.
Fair enough. A lot of the events, lore and characters of the classics make me put it in the camp department. Things like Lara fighting (And actually killing) T-rexes, Yetis, hammy villains like Pierre and Bartoli, etc. Though they always took the story fairly seriously. As you said, I think this was mostly for technical limitations though. I think if they had more cutscenes, the story's tone would be different.

I'd like to see a mix of the two a bit more. The Vikander movie nailed the mix of seriousness and light moments imo. Future games need to emulate that tone.