Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 11-07-12, 04:18   #1
sephiroth99

Default translatr (Tomb Raider translation tool)

translatr is used to extract subtitles and localisation data from the Tomb Raider games made by Crystal Dynamics (TRL, TRA, TRU, LCGoL). The translatable text is saved to a file named "translations.xml", which can then be edited.

translatr is also used to patch back a modified "translations.xml". It will create all the necessary patched files, which can then be used into the game.

You can find the program here: Version 0.2.1

This program is open source. Get the code here: https://github.com/sephiroth99/translatr

How to use
The program is a console application, so extract the exe to a known folder, open cmd.exe and browse where you extracted the exe.

This guide assumes you already have unpacked the main bigfile.000 and the patch.000 if available. See here on how to do this.

extract mode
Code:
translatr extract lang bigfile_path [be] [patch_path]
Arguments:
Code:
 lang        : language in-game language to extract
 bigfile_path: path to folder where bigfile.000 was extracted
 be          : (optional) write "be" to enable big endian extraction
 patch_path  : (optional) path to folder where patch.000 was extracted
The known supported languages by Tomb Raider are:
English (en), French (fr), German (de), Italian (it), Spanish (es), Japanese (ja), Portugese (pt), Polish (pl), EnglishUK (uk), Russian (ru), Czech (cs), Dutch (nl), Hungarian (hu)

Example:

You can now edit the translations.xml file. I suggest using Notepad++, as it will highlight the xml sections for you.

Note: make sure to save the xml file in UTF-8 format! (notepad++ will do it by itself)

apply mode
Code:
translatr apply translations_path [override_base_path [override_patch_path]]
Arguments:
Code:
 translations_path  : path to modified translations.xml file
 override_base_path : (optional) path to extracted bigfile. Overrides path from xml.
 override_patch_path: (optional) path to extracted patch. Overrides path from xml.
Example:

You now have a folder besides the executable named "newpatch". This folder contains all the modified files, plus the original files from the patch if it was specified. See here for a quick guide on how to repack the bigfile/patch.

Last edited by sephiroth99; 22-02-13 at 05:39.
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 04:33   #2
VictorXD

This is pretty sure I saw this before, I'd use it but all 3 TRs are already translated in my language
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-12, 14:38   #3
zagraz

I've been looking for this for so long! Thanks you so much! I'll try this!
zagraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-12, 14:17   #4
zagraz

When I do this:

It gives error. What can I do?
Old 18-07-12, 15:00   #5
Reginaldo_Proc

I have a problem to!
I extract Underworld And LCGOL, Underworld the chages that I do don't work in LCGOL work and I don't know why but I can't unpack Legend , when the process start it's kay but when he strt to unpack the 54th file a error apears and I go on! And why we can't translate LCGOL's DLC?
HELP PLEASE!

Last edited by Reginaldo_Proc; 18-07-12 at 18:35.
Reginaldo_Proc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-12, 12:05   #6
sephiroth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagraz View Post
When I do this:
http://i.imgur.com/Cd0wo.png

It gives error. What can I do?
Did you change the path to where you have your translations.xml file? Also, make sure to not delete the unpacked files before doing the "apply" command.

If you can copy the error message it would help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginaldo_Proc View Post
I have a problem to!
I extract Underworld And LCGOL, Underworld the chages that I do don't work in LCGOL work and I don't know why but I can't unpack Legend , when the process start it's kay but when he strt to unpack the 54th file a error apears and I go on! And why we can't translate LCGOL's DLC?
HELP PLEASE!
For the error unpacking Legend, make sure you use "Tomb Raider 7" as the project name, like so:
Code:
unpack -p="Tomb Raider 7" bigfile.000 C:\output
For lcgol dlc, I didn't try it so maybe it doesn't work. I'll do some tests to verify.

For Underworld, do you have the patch installed? If you do, do you have any error creating the new patch.000 file?
Old 19-07-12, 13:38   #7
zagraz

I've finally solved my problem. It doesn't give error anymore but I have two more questions. How can I change MENU files of the game? And Can't I pack translations.xml files to bigfile.000 directly? The game I mean is TR 8(Underworld- PC)

EDIT: Oh and it doesn't support Turkish Fonts (Except for ÇçÖöÜü). How can I fix it?

Last edited by zagraz; 19-07-12 at 13:44.
Old 19-07-12, 23:38   #8
sephiroth99

Quote:
How can I change MENU files of the game?
If you mean the text in the menus, it's all in the file named "locals.bin". Check for it in the translations.xml file, you'll see it has lots of entries

Quote:
And Can't I pack translations.xml files to bigfile.000 directly? The game I mean is TR 8(Underworld- PC)
You could. You'd have to follow the procedure for TRL/TRA. But if your game is patched, and you modify a file that is in the patch.000 archive, you won't see your changes, because the patch archive has priority over the bigfile archive.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh and it doesn't support Turkish Fonts (Except for ÇçÖöÜü). How can I fix it?
I think it's because I forgot to include a file to translate. It the fonts file. So the game knows to print the character, but doesn't know how. I'm looking into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginaldo_Proc View Post
And why we can't translate LCGOL's DLC?
I had a quick look into one of the DLC, and it seems there is only the locals.bin file. Because there's a patch, the one to modify is the one in the patch.000 file, not pack#.000 file. But I may be wrong on that.

edit:
OK so I checked for the fonts. It seems Dusan had the same problem more than 3 years ago! here

In short, TRL and TRA has a .raw file for the fonts, so it's easy to change. But in TRU (and LCGoL I suppose), this file is embedded in a .drm file... So we don't have a way to change it unfortunately... quite unpleasant!

Last edited by sephiroth99; 20-07-12 at 02:21.
Old 20-07-12, 06:19   #9
zagraz

I sometimes can not understand you, sorry but I've got to keep asking questions if you don't mind because I'm gonna make a Turkish language patch for TRU. I'm so willing to make it.

1- My game is patched and I tried to make changes in subtitles. I translated a line of the translate xml and apply it. Then I packed newpatch file to 000 format. it's about 300mb and the original patch of the game is about 20mb. I replaced the 20mb file with 300mb but subtitles haven't changed. What can I do?
(If you already told about this, I'm sory but as I said: My english is not so good. Can you tell me more clearly)

EDIT: I couldn't find locals.bin or menu text in translations.xml

Last edited by zagraz; 20-07-12 at 08:28.
Old 21-07-12, 13:35   #10
sephiroth99

Quote:
I sometimes can not understand you, sorry but I've got to keep asking questions if you don't mind because I'm gonna make a Turkish language patch for TRU. I'm so willing to make it.

1- My game is patched and I tried to make changes in subtitles. I translated a line of the translate xml and apply it. Then I packed newpatch file to 000 format. it's about 300mb and the original patch of the game is about 20mb. I replaced the 20mb file with 300mb but subtitles haven't changed. What can I do?
(If you already told about this, I'm sory but as I said: My english is not so good. Can you tell me more clearly)

EDIT: I couldn't find locals.bin or menu text in translations.xml
You are playing the game in what language? The game must be in English to be able to see the changes. So you will have English audio and your changed text.

Another question, what are the available languages in your version of the game? If you don't have the multi5 version (en/fr/it/ge/es) that would explain why you don't have the locals.bin, as the program extracts only the english version of the file.