Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-05-21, 06:59   #11
ace_85

I am aware of one piece of TR3 trivia that has gone almost unremarked upon for the entirety of the game's history. Years back, on this forum, someone posted a scan of a magazine article where the Core developers were talking about TR3's improved enemy AI routines, and how they had programmed the T. rex in Crash Site to follow a flare like in the famous Jurassic Park scene with Jeff Goldblum's character. I distinctly remember testing this theory out in the game, and it actually seemed to work to distract Rexy. I don't currently have TR3 installed to test again, but I'd love somebody else to independently corroborate my findings/memory of this little Easter egg.
ace_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-21, 08:11   #12
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_85 View Post
I am aware of one piece of TR3 trivia that has gone almost unremarked upon for the entirety of the game's history. Years back, on this forum, someone posted a scan of a magazine article where the Core developers were talking about TR3's improved enemy AI routines, and how they had programmed the T. rex in Crash Site to follow a flare like in the famous Jurassic Park scene with Jeff Goldblum's character. I distinctly remember testing this theory out in the game, and it actually seemed to work to distract Rexy. I don't currently have TR3 installed to test again, but I'd love somebody else to independently corroborate my findings/memory of this little Easter egg.
How interesting. This is definitely something worth trying out.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-21, 19:09   #13
red_lion

In the intro FMV from TRIII dr. Willard leaves the site with a snowmobile.
This snowmobile has a the branch: "Polar Trail"

I found out there is a branch name: "Polaris WideTrak LX" that looks similar to the one used in TRIII. Image came from wikimedia commons.

red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 02:53   #14
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
In the intro FMV from TRIII dr. Willard leaves the site with a snowmobile.
This snowmobile has a the branch: "Polar Trail"

https://i.imgur.com/YRg4pv5m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/epCUhGum.jpg

I found out there is a branch name: "Polaris WideTrak LX" that looks similar to the one used in TRIII. Image came from wikimedia commons.

https://i.imgur.com/PtfoF2Nm.jpg
Snowmobiles make me immediately think of Tibetan Foothills from TR2 and not TR3 or Willard.
Old 22-06-21, 09:44   #15
red_lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Snowmobiles make me immediately think of Tibetan Foothills from TR2 and not TR3 or Willard.
Or the baddies of TR2 gold edition.

But its impressive, right?
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 03:59   #16
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
Or the baddies of TR2 gold edition.

But its impressive, right?
I've not played the golds, and so I wouldn't know anything about the golds.
Old 23-06-21, 12:29   #17
fallenangle

There are a number of bad guys on snow mobiles used in the first level of TR2 The Golden Mask: The Cold War and more in the next level: Fools Gold, too.

They're entertaining to deal with but like the main game they are difficult kill with without taking any hits. It makes a minimal damage run very tricky and frustrating at times because they can get you with their guns from almost any angle or position.

Last edited by fallenangle; 23-06-21 at 12:30.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 20:51   #18
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_85 View Post
This felt, so familiar to read and not from a magazine memory. Jumped onto Google and it turned out it has been tested and it is, somewhat functional. Stella's has a guide to try the technique even! I now vaguely remember it was a discussion in the trle subforum some time back as a desired function, or if its code still stuck around into the TR4 trle engine and could be expanded on.

https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks...h-site-13.html

The little things! ♡

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 24-06-21 at 20:54.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 23:32   #19
Ringtir

Yes it works! I use that technique on my playthroughs (at least once a year a play TR3)

Also, if you don't kill the raptors that you encounter on the floor above, they will fight the TRex once you open the doors. Who will win depends on luck, but most times the T will be the winner.
Ringtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-21, 01:12   #20
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
There are a number of bad guys on snow mobiles used in the first level of TR2 The Golden Mask: The Cold War and more in the next level: Fools Gold, too.

They're entertaining to deal with but like the main game they are difficult kill with without taking any hits. It makes a minimal damage run very tricky and frustrating at times because they can get you with their guns from almost any angle or position.
The reason for me not playing the golds is because they were only available on the PC. I've never played a PC game before and probably never will, but I can still watch LPs for the golds should I want to.