Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-02-21, 22:42   #211
Valentino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
I don't get how fans after Rise asked for more tombs and their response to the outcry was to put the same amount of optional side tombs then shove a hub full of useless npcs, side missions and relics together. I don't think anybody begged them for more of the Geothermal valley. If Paititi was more like what we saw in the announcement trailer (minus the people) then maybe the outcome would've been a lot different. I thought we'd get to explore the massive pyramids but that wasn't the case.
I think when Crystal went for a hub based approach it was well received in 2013. I remember the forums throwing hub worlds and open world ideas pre reboot reveal. So there was a call for it. And now, down the line, Crystal have obviously done the "in this game we've created the biggest hub space for you to explore" because that's how it goes. Developers have this boner and cynical view that players think the next game has to be bigger and bigger and biggerrrr and omg this is the most detailed hub space we've created it feels so alive the NPC's will go about their daily routine so so reallll"
And games like AssCreed and in TR's instance, Paititi, just aint it.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 03:11   #212
JuditePrince12

I'm waiting for developers to realize that bigger isn't better all the time. We have so many open world games pushing the limits of graphical fidelity and technology that they can't even make good games anymore. Tomb Raider shouldn't go down this whole social hub space thing agin in the future, but instead dense levels that are filled with an equal distribution of only puzzles, combat and traversal.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 04:20   #213
killchan

I wouldn't mind a giant openworld TR: at the end of the day, route , structure and moment to moment challenges are the things that establish the difference between a world full of adventure where size is justified (BoTW, and why not, The Evil Within 2) and a glorified menu (Cybepunk, many Ubisoft games). It all comes down to implementation.

Hubs in this game were made in a way that the most basic gameplay could only take place outside of them. Lame.
The residential area of Paititi didn't need to be any bigger than 2 Kuwaq Yaqus.

If EM kept the size but scaled the residential aread down by 95% and used that free space for actual content ...

Last edited by killchan; 21-02-21 at 14:30.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-21, 16:49   #214
Evan C.

I started to replay Shadow after it's launch (never touched it again since over a year) and OMG what a lovely game...until I reached Paitit. I tried my best but ended up uninstalling it again because it's awful. That's exactly the moment the game flopped. I hated every inch of it.
Evan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 01:21   #215
AntRaidsTombs

Paititi just slows down gameplay way too much. I wish I could find that video where they said certain tombs would cause certain things to happen to Paititi, I guess they didn't have time to finish that. I still wish they gave Shadow more time.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 05:21   #216
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Paititi just slows down gameplay way too much. I wish I could find that video where they said certain tombs would cause certain things to happen to Paititi, I guess they didn't have time to finish that. I still wish they gave Shadow more time.
I remember when they said that. It was in the video when they were introducing Paititi before the game launched. Just another unfulfilled promise like the whole becoming the Tomb Raider we know and love.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 09:04   #217
killchan

also this, 6:22
https://youtu.be/1To-HOwsVdc?t=383

"The Paititi hub includes a dense jungle that hides several Challenge tombs.
It also has crypts tucked away, though reaching them will require some advanced traversal skills. The reward is great, however, as crypts are now as large as tombs used to be, offering a trap-filled labyrinth to navigate, and rewards for those who can survive them."

This is Cyberpunk level of deception.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 14:50   #218
ThatSassyKid

The story dissolves once you reach Paititi and it picks back up where it left off after you leave Paititi. People cover it up by blaming it on the outfit restriction, but really, this is why. Also it was absurdly overhyped and just ended up being Geothermal Valley 2.0.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 11:46   #219
dg1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
also this, 6:22
https://youtu.be/1To-HOwsVdc?t=383

"The Paititi hub includes a dense jungle that hides several Challenge tombs.
It also has crypts tucked away, though reaching them will require some advanced traversal skills. The reward is great, however, as crypts are now as large as tombs used to be, offering a trap-filled labyrinth to navigate, and rewards for those who can survive them."

This is Cyberpunk level of deception.
That's nothing. Developers always lie in the interviews.

Capcom: "In DMC 4 Dante will have more weapons and swords than DMC 3."

Also Capcom: " In RE 5 weather affects Chris's abilities."

Core Design: "Kurtis is the coolest character ever."

Remedy: "Max Payne 1 will have a multiplayer mode."

etc.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-21, 23:15   #220
KylieDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
That's nothing. Developers always lie in the interviews.

Capcom: "In DMC 4 Dante will have more weapons and swords than DMC 3."

Also Capcom: " In RE 5 weather affects Chris's abilities."

Core Design: "Kurtis is the coolest character ever."

Remedy: "Max Payne 1 will have a multiplayer mode."

etc.
The RE5 thing was a mistranslation by fans.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote