Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 28-12-20, 01:22   #11
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyma View Post
But this is just a great Tomb Raider/tomb raiding experience. Now, I know the story is trash, but I really don't care about the story. The tombs are great, the environments are lush, the atmosphere and lighting is just beautiful. I even enjoy the combat since it's so scarce.
All of this Except for enjoying the combat because of its lack of. The base game could have used more combat situations. Luckily, the DLC balanced it perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Yes Shadow is a great entry in the series and it is why I want Crystal out and EidosM in.
Absolutely agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartache View Post
all it needed was a lot more polishing and bug fixing
Unfortunately, yes. And it kind of sucks that the now called "Definitive Edition" is so plagued with these annoyances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remyma View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, I looooooove that you can disable the white ledges, hints and all that crap!
Hell, yes. The possibility to disable tutorial hints came at a much later date, some time after we had a poll asking about them. We felt so heard back then.
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-20, 12:57   #12
AshesBorn

Glad you enjoyed it! It's my favourite Reboot game, hands down.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-20, 01:15   #13
Shirley_Manson

I'm kinda 50-50 on this game, because Paititi is a slog and I hate that the game tries to force stealth on the player at every turn. And the awful story really sours it, because I care about it. A lot. And for a good story you don't even have to craft a narrative heavy game. But to make so many cutscenes and to have such poor, generic, nonsencical character like Amaru be the main antagonist is such a waste of talent.

But I do agree that the environmets are gorgeous, and the tombs have some proper puzzles and atmosphere in them. Esp. the DLC tombs. I was in particularly impressed by the one with loads of fast spinning traps and sinking platforms (forgot it's name), but it really reminded me of the classic games.
Shirley_Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 16:57   #14
Miharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley_Manson View Post
I'm kinda 50-50 on this game, because Paititi is a slog and I hate that the game tries to force stealth on the player at every turn. And the awful story really sours it, because I care about it. A lot. And for a good story you don't even have to craft a narrative heavy game. But to make so many cutscenes and to have such poor, generic, nonsencical character like Amaru be the main antagonist is such a waste of talent.

But I do agree that the environmets are gorgeous, and the tombs have some proper puzzles and atmosphere in them. Esp. the DLC tombs. I was in particularly impressed by the one with loads of fast spinning traps and sinking platforms (forgot it's name), but it really reminded me of the classic games.
Agree with all of this ! Just got the game and finished if off the PSN store, was on sale for really cheap so snagged it. Honestly, while I have the same critiques that everybody else does, I admit I was afraid of picking it up, I think the bashing for Shadow is a little OTT.

Regarding Amaru, I might get shot for this but out of the Reboot games, I honestly think Rise had the best villain development, compared to Shadow: Konstantin and Anna got plenty of screen time and their motivations despite being cliched were totally unrelenting. Amaru was just like, yeah... ok. You wouldn’t think he was the leader of Trinity especially compared to how relentless Konstantin was and as much as I was bored of the Trinity storyline anyway, that’s still very disappointing.

Last edited by Miharu; 07-01-21 at 17:02.
Miharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 19:10   #15
Rai

So good to see some positivity. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I loved it too, it's definitely my favourite from the trilogy.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 08:41   #16
RAID

I switched my PS2 last night, played all of Peru of TR1 then I tried Anniversary but couldn't bare past the second level Having played som Shadow minutes before TR1, it was confirmation for me how much closer to the classics TR Shadow is compared to LAU - Huge spaces to explore, dead ends, hidden alcoves, etc. LAU was all linear and all rooms had to have purpose.

I definitely want more along the lines of the Shadow formula but with more creative puzzles that don't involve ropes and better story telling And key fetching

Last edited by RAID; 08-01-21 at 08:54.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:55   #17
Lara_Fan1

^

I’d also like them to stop with the whole “Lara saving everyone” trope that’s been in the reboot series. I can understand it in Tomb Raider, to a degree but helping out in an all out war in Rise and then helping save Paititi. It’s something that really draws me out of the story that we’re going on and it feels like they’re put in there to prolong the game itself.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 14:01   #18
Heartache

i love love love this game. if the outfit mess wouldnt leave such a sour taste and more bug fixing would have been done it would be a glorious game for me
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 17:56   #19
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
All of this Except for enjoying the combat because of its lack of. The base game could have used more combat situations. Luckily, the DLC balanced it perfectly.
Yea, out of the three games it seems that Shadow would’ve been the one with the most combat since it was “supposed” to be the final showdown with Trinity. Then they introduced the new one with the jungle stuff for combat and we barely had enough combat to use it properly lol. Shadow really didn’t have enough combat imo until the DLC.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 19:44   #20
Blackmoor

I think it's the best out of the 3 reboots.

I think there are some genuinely poignant moments in the story and I think some of the environments are lovely, plus I felt there was an upgrade in some of the traversal (climbing and swimming) and I was very creeped out by those moments underground with the strange creature people.

I saw definite improvements.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote