Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 02-10-22, 15:28   #1
charmedangelin

Default Does PlayStation version have higher quality textures compared to PC?

I've been playing TR1 on my phone emulating the PlayStation version and I notice the textures seem to be more higher quality compared to the PC version. Idk if it's just the emulator doing it or if TR1 PSX had better graphics than PC.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 18:08   #2
HarleyCroft

Maybe it's the emulator making it look good? I can confirm that a TR1 disk played on a PS2 on a modern TV does not look great.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 00:36   #3
Xenomrph

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Maybe it's the emulator making it look good? I can confirm that a TR1 disk played on a PS2 on a modern TV does not look great.
A fair amount of that is that the old school PS2 output in Composite video, which modern TVs don't like (if they can accept it at all).

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards...ion-2/72599346

You can do better lol

Last edited by Xenomrph; 03-10-22 at 00:39.
Xenomrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 11:24   #4
TombHackR
Golden

Tomb Raider has the same textures on both platforms. Maybe it’s because you’re used to the washed out bilinear filter look and low saturation of the 3DFX version which everyone used for years… compared to the colourful saturated textures of the PS1. Alternatively it’s your emulator making them look good .
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 16:38   #5
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Well, obviously it's not going to look great on modern TV, no 90s gaming console will ever look great on modern tv without some kind of professional upscaler. Looks good if you still got a 90's CRT TV or PVM.

I have Sony PVM, with the original Japanese 1994 SCPH-1000 PlayStation attached with RBG SCART and connected to the component adapter for input back of PVM, it looks and sounds great. a 90's vibes era.

Sega Saturn wasn't too bad either

==========================

Come on charm, it's obvious that the phone emulator looks better especially phone screen is smaller. Even PSP playing ps1 games looks better due to the small screen aswell.

I think you set up this thread on purpose.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 03-10-22 at 17:34.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 01:40   #6
Xenomrph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Well, obviously it's not going to look great on modern TV, no 90s gaming console will ever look great on modern tv without some kind of professional upscaler. Looks good if you still got a 90's CRT TV or PVM.

I have Sony PVM, with the original Japanese 1994 SCPH-1000 PlayStation attached with RBG SCART and connected to the component adapter for input back of PVM, it looks and sounds great. a 90's vibes era.

Sega Saturn wasn't too bad either

==========================

Come on charm, it's obvious that the phone emulator looks better especially phone screen is smaller. Even PSP playing ps1 games looks better due to the small screen aswell.

I think you set up this thread on purpose.
Sounds like my setup, I have a dozen retro consoles connected to my 4K TV and most of them are running via SCART through an upscaler, they look amazing.
Old 04-10-22, 19:51   #7
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomrph View Post
Sounds like my setup, I have a dozen retro consoles connected to my 4K TV and most of them are running via SCART through an upscaler, they look amazing.
sweet, do you mean upscaler in the 4K TV or separate box? I plan to get a professional upscaler at some point, I never own one yet, I'm looking at OSSC 2, but I don't think they are out yet.

I do like the scanline video.
Old 04-10-22, 20:04   #8
Xenomrph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
sweet, do you mean upscaler in the 4K TV or separate box? I plan to get a professional upscaler at some point, I never own one yet, I'm looking at OSSC 2, but I don't think they are out yet.

I do like the scanline video.
It’s a professional upscaler, separate from the TV.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html
Old 05-10-22, 00:46   #9
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomrph View Post
It’s a professional upscaler, separate from the TV.

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html
Oh yeah I remember that website, framemeister was the first and legend back in mid-2010, The Japanese started it all. They were great and used to follow their forums back in the day and also on ASSEMblergames.com too. OSSC 2 looking promising at the moment, Poblay cost £400 which is fine by me. I know the very early (2005/06) HD ready or Full HD Toshiba TV has one of the best upscaler built in. The PS1 games look fantastic with RGB SCART, especially PS2 with a component cable that is capable of output 1080i for Gran Turismo 4 and Trophy Tourist NTSC version. Looks gorgeous for the early days, feels like you are in a VIP room exclusively,

However, nothing beats good old CRT TV just like the mother****ing 90s era Heck, When I play the TR1 PS version, It has to be original grey PlayStation with the analog controller without a dual thumbstick,, that's how I remember back in the day. I know it's strange but there you go.

I utterly hate HD classic Tomb Raider, yuk.
Old 05-10-22, 04:46   #10
Xenomrph

I recently played through TR1 with some kind of HD fan-made patch or mod or something and I liked it quite a bit.