www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 17-01-20, 10:36   #71
Mac Daddy
Student

What could be a cheaper and easy thing to do (especially for the 25th anniversary) is a "remastering" of the first 5 games with widescreen support, modern game controller support, add an option for HD and classic graphics mode and a option for the classic tank movement or movement more like Legend but keeping the move set of the first 5 games.

It probably wouldn't make everyone happy but it would make a lot of people happier than if they didn't do anything for the 25th anniversary.

I personally think that they are dreading that they have to do something that celebrates the classic Tomb Raider games from the 90s as that is a side of the franchise that they would like to be forgotten. They could end up being lazy and just re-release Anniversary from 2007 and do some social media posts with videos and images from themselves and fans, and call it a day for the 25th anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error96 View Post
They also said 'we haven't got the tech' as a reason for no duals but with Avengers they suddenly do.
Wait, how can a game from 1996 have the tech for dual guns and a game from 2018 not?

P.S: What is this thing about/drama Daniel Bisson? I've not been keeping up with Tomb Raider news since Anniversary in 2007.

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 17-01-20 at 10:59.
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 10:52   #72
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
P.S: What is this thing about/drama Daniel Bisson? I've not been keeping up with Tomb Raider news since Anniversary in 2007.
AFAIK, Daniel Bisson is the studio head of Eidos Montreal, Shadow’s developers. This is what he said that angered Classic fans
Quote:
"No. I don't want that. For us this is her defining moment," he told the magazine. "We're not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that's not what this is." Bisson went further, adding: "For this trilogy - not saying anything about later on, I don't know about the future titles - but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon."
Design choice I guess?
Old 17-01-20, 11:10   #73
Mac Daddy
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
AFAIK, Daniel Bisson is the studio head of Eidos Montreal, Shadow’s developers. This is what he said that angered Classic fans

Quote:
"No. I don't want that. For us this is her defining moment," he told the magazine. "We're not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini; that's not what this is." Bisson went further, adding: "For this trilogy - not saying anything about later on, I don't know about the future titles - but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon."
Design choice I guess?
That sounds reasonable for the Survivor trilogy as it's not ruling some of the more iconic features of the classic TR. It's also throwing a little shade at Crystal as they were that let you play as Lara in a bikini. I would be guessing that some people thought he was referring to advertising and renders done under Core when it came to the bikini comment.

I could only see being angry about the double-pistol comment being justifiable if in the next game she doesn't have them at all or if she loses them shortly after the game starts and she as to use her "iconic" bow.

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 17-01-20 at 11:15.
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:26   #74
Calvolt
Hobbyist

As I said somewhere else in the forums, she can easily have both. Bow is more like a bolt action sniper rifle with high power, duals would be an smg-like. The pistol in the latest series is anything but underwhelming nonetheless. Give us the option to upgrade it to duals and problem solved.
Calvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:39   #75
Mac Daddy
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvolt View Post
As I said somewhere else in the forums, she can easily have both. Bow is more like a bolt action sniper rifle with high power, duals would be an smg-like. The pistol in the latest series is anything but underwhelming nonetheless. Give us the option to upgrade it to duals and problem solved.
That would be a great idea. Upgrade to the dual pistols but as a trade-off the accuracy is halved as she isn't used to using two pistols at once.

They could have add a shooting range to the manor, which they could keep locked until the game has been finished with a cutscene of the butler bringing her the key in a post credit scene, which could unlock shooting challenges that could help increase accuracy for weapons on New Game+ mode.
Old 17-01-20, 13:33   #76
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I'm not sure we will see anything game related but atleast they'll have some film related goodness to keep the franchise alive, if they stick to the March 2021 release then we should atleast have a trailer by the end of the year.
Old 17-01-20, 14:39   #77
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
That would be a great idea. Upgrade to the dual pistols but as a trade-off the accuracy is halved as she isn't used to using two pistols at once.

They could have add a shooting range to the manor, which they could keep locked until the game has been finished with a cutscene of the butler bringing her the key in a post credit scene, which could unlock shooting challenges that could help increase accuracy for weapons on New Game+ mode.
I like this idea but it doesn't seem right to unlock the shooting range until after story completion. Instead it should unlock pretty early on so that player are given the chance to hone their skills before tackling the harder missions.
Old 17-01-20, 14:55   #78
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
All here, he also said "Forget Shorts, twin guns, and Dinosaurs". He explained how the future was all about the survival lens and that under his direction classic wouldn't ever make a comeback. This promoted massive backlash and he came back and changed his opinion to, "I don't know about the future" trying to qwell backlash.

It was the dual pistols and claiming that Lara wore bikinis and just taking a jab at classic Lara in general that set this chain of events off. Here is the mega 500+ page thread with all the juciy drama.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=219964
Old 17-01-20, 15:23   #79
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
All here, he also said "Forget Shorts, twin guns, and Dinosaurs". He explained how the future was all about the survival lens and that under his direction classic wouldn't ever make a comeback. This promoted massive backlash and he came back and changed his opinion to, "I don't know about the future" trying to qwell backlash.

It was the dual pistols and claiming that Lara wore bikinis and just taking a jab at classic Lara in general that set this chain of events off. Here is the mega 500+ page thread with all the juciy drama.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=219964
I always thought that he was referring to themselves with that part of the statement because they put Lara in bikinis during the LAU era. Lara was never in a bikini in the classic games if I remember correctly. To be fair though, I‘ve never really read any of those interviews since I never took it as an insult, so I‘m not sure about the context in which he said that.
MissJodieG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 15:31   #80
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
I always thought that he was referring to themselves with that part of the statement because they put Lara in bikinis during the LAU era. Lara was never in a bikini in the classic games if I remember correctly. To be fair though, I‘ve never really read any of those interviews since I never took it as an insult, so I‘m not sure about the context in which he said that.
Either way, taking jabs at any version of the classic character was gonna be met with some forum of push back given how hard CD has pushed the reboot. Regardless of whether or not he liked the classic character or had issues with LAU, the fact that the classic character has been missing in action for so long was just not a good nor a sensitive time to say something like that. It was just bizarre to be honest, especially after doing the exact opposite. Maybe Lara wouldn't wear a bikini to adventures, but neither classic nor reboot would wear tribal outfits either.

But anyway, that was my take on it. I just hope they have someone else directing and working on TR from within. Duals never really hurt anyone and it would be a good way to keep the fanbase calm.