www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 31-10-19, 19:56   #1
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Default The Outer Worlds

I did a search and to my surprise could not find a thread on this game. Being an old Fallout fan,I really want to play it. I am interested in other's impression. Rhus I thought I would start a thread.
Old 31-10-19, 19:58   #2
tlr online
Administrator

I've very early on and so far it seems pretty cool.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 08:55   #3
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

As I mentioned in the WGAYPRN thread, it's easily the best Fallout game since New Vegas, provided you like your Fallout focused on story, characters, and dialogues, rather than a massive open world to explore.

It's immensely old school and, with the exception of the second major planet, very dialogue heavy, with the dialogue-combat ratio being something like 70-30. It's one of those games where you can either chat everyone up and try and complete all quests and always find the least evil solution to every problem, thus easily racking your playtime to 50+ hours, OR you can just literally shoot everyone on sight and still casually beat the game in under 3 hours.

It doesn't bring anything new to the table, and compared to something like Disco Elysium it plays things very safe, but even as such it feels fresh and is a whole lot of addictive fun.
Old 04-11-19, 15:36   #4
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Thanks for your replies, Gentlemen. In many of the reviews I have seen, the biggest complaint is that It is too much like the Early Fallout games, but in my book that is not a bad thing, rather it is a definite asset. Now I am looking forward to playing it even more.
Old 04-11-19, 15:44   #5
jackali
Super Moderator

I played it on Game Pass, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to trying it again in the future and make some different decisions. It seems that there's very little about the game where any course of action is obviously the "right" choice. It certainly kept my interest in that regard.
Old 04-11-19, 16:26   #6
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackali View Post
I played it on Game Pass, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to trying it again in the future and make some different decisions. It seems that there's very little about the game where any course of action is obviously the "right" choice. It certainly kept my interest in that regard.
Good point. Decisions with consequences is a big plus in any game for me.
Old 18-12-19, 04:44   #7
Ashnod
Professor

Completed my first run a few weeks ago.

I enjoyed it, but I think it was overpraised.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-19, 12:15   #8
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I'm really enjoying it although I do think it suffers from a lot of the things that Fallout is criticized for - poor graphics and a few bugs. But overall I am really enjoying it. I kinda feels like you're following the people from the Fallout era of America who went to Space before the great war. It's so very close to fallout visually in so many ways but still different.

One thing I'm not happy with is there is some ambiguity surrounding the skills and their impact on the missions. I haven't played the game for a few weeks now so I can't really rememeber the specifics. But, and spoilers ahead for those of you who haven't completed it... but given the sparsity of activity in this thred I think we are all ok , you go to a really affluent planet, where The Board's Headquarters is and where Ellie grew up, to find a scientist in her basement lab. Once you find her you can convince her to join you and your scientist friend. You need to have a high enough charisma skill to do this. However, you need tpo have an evern higher one to convince the guard not to kill you when you leave. However there is no indication of what level that needs to be and then the whole city inexplicably turns on you if once you exit the lab. It just feels a bit unstructured considering New Vegas did this quite well. That's the point I'm up to and where I left it due to this as I need to reload an earlier save and leave that mission for later to do it in a more pacifist way.