Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 19-12-15, 21:55   #14471
Krystian

Unfortunately the "interaction zone" is always defined from the origin point of the object and it's hardcoded for each slot. Regardless of where the object's mesh is, it's always in relation to the origin point and preset. So it seems to me that in TRLE alone there's no way to bypass this limitation.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-15, 22:35   #14472
DJ Full

The origin of mesh is indeed origin of interaction, but it isn't the only determinator. For instance Lara will usually (possibly not always) ignore height on green axis Y - you can have the hole at usual 2 clicks above the ground but you can also place it on the very ground and she will still activate it. (It might be the reason why the wall trick works: because an item placed on the wall is "raised" not moved sideways, it might be the engine thinks about another axis even if the item didn't rotate). Also the hole can be placed at any point of the blue axis (Z) - you can have it on the wall, in the middle or inbetween. Following the red axis (X) seems to be the only blocker. In fact more is allowed than isn't.

EDIT: In fact the height seems to be completely ignored. I placed a flat (spreading 0 units vertically) puzzle collision 3072 units BELOW the floor and Lara still reacts to it. She's got outstanding skills to reach for hidden mechanisms... at least in one direction.

Last edited by DJ Full; 20-12-15 at 00:05.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-15, 00:12   #14473
Alessio

Default Where to start?

Hello!

I have learnt about the level editor enough to start building a level and i have a particular theme in mind. The problem is that i need environmental static objects and movable ones that fit with it.
So, for example for Back to Basic contests you have people building and modeling objects that fit with the actual theme. They're a giantload of objects in a single wad.
In theory i could get an existing wad, replace their models and done. But how do i do it without screwing with textures? How did these people behind BtB wads build their custom object?
I mean, how do i change everything with Strpix? I couldn't even find a tutorial step-by-step about how to use these tools (aside from "create your outfit", which is not my interest for now).
Also, i'm also confident with 3D graphics and texturing (i use Maya, it's less confusing for me, Metasequoia just looks irritating).

Last edited by Alessio; 26-12-15 at 00:13. Reason: Additional info
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-15, 10:15   #14474
Titak

Welcome to this forum, Alessio!

You can only retexture with STRPix, you can not change meshes with it.
If you have the latest STRPix version (can be found in our Software Development section) you can also use it to import new textures into your wad and even cut it into rectangles within STRPix.

STRPix also allows you to move a mesh and rotate it if needed.
And it allows you to adjust collisionboxes of statics.

Can't really change objects witout messing with the textures, unless you want to make just minor changes to the shape of an existing object.
Adn to do that you need to export the mesh as an MQO file with STRPix (open your wad in STRPix, find the object in the statis objects list or the moveable objects list and use File>Export MQO).
This will leave the texturing intact for Meta. You won't be able to see the textures in Meta, but they are still there.
Yes, Meta. Not even sure if you can use Maya for this.
When you open the object/mesh in Meta, you can make changes to the shape and keep the texturing as long as you don't add new faces to the object.
You can ofcourse copy and paste faces to make the object bigger, a usefull thing to do when making plants and trees. (texture one double-sided face with leaves, export the object again, open it in Meta again and copy and paste it many times to form the plant or tree. Saves a whole lot of time on texturing in STRPix!)

One word of advise:
It is best to make a seperate wad with the objects you want to change and work with that in STRPix, instead of working with your levelwad.
Things can go wrong and your levelwad might end up getting corrupted somehow. Not that STRPix messes up wads at a regular basis, but it is simply best to work in seperate wads for your objects.
Workign with a seperate smaller wad also makes it easier to locate textures.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-15, 18:52   #14475
Xopax

I'm trying to make a animation in 3DS Max but when i try to import the .3ds file it says that it's a invalid format.
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-15, 20:19   #14476
Joey79100

When importing your Lara object into 3DS Max, make sure you uncheck "Convert units".
Then, when you export Lara, make sure you don't have any other object than Lara in the scene (lights don't matter, but objects you may have created have to be removed). Animation keys need to be set on every frame: position and rotation on the hips, and rotation only on all the other meshes.
If you respect this, it should be compatible.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-15, 21:38   #14477
Xopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
When importing your Lara object into 3DS Max, make sure you uncheck "Convert units".
Then, when you export Lara, make sure you don't have any other object than Lara in the scene (lights don't matter, but objects you may have created have to be removed). Animation keys need to be set on every frame: position and rotation on the hips, and rotation only on all the other meshes.
If you respect this, it should be compatible.
Nope, it's not working.
I export the Lara object from TRViewer with no animation, then when i import it in 3DS Max it says:

"No object found"
dummy000

and then

"Improper file format"
Old 27-12-15, 23:03   #14478
Joey79100

Oh, I thought you were re-importing your anim into the TR4.

You NEED to export an animation when exporting the 3DS file. It needs a base to work with.

Also, remember to replace Lara's meshes before exporting if you haven't done it. Lara is made of dummy meshes, which are replaced in game by the ones in Lara_Skin. To use real meshes in 3DS Max, in TRViewer you need to:
- export Lara_Skin meshes (right-click > Export as .TRMVB)
- then import it over Lara (right-click > Import from .TRMVB, uncheck "Animations", don't check "Don't overwrite dummy meshes")
Then you can export your animation.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-15, 23:13   #14479
Xopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Oh, I thought you were re-importing your anim into the TR4.

You NEED to export an animation when exporting the 3DS file. It needs a base to work with.

Also, remember to replace Lara's meshes before exporting if you haven't done it. Lara is made of dummy meshes, which are replaced in game by the ones in Lara_Skin. To use real meshes in 3DS Max, in TRViewer you need to:
- export Lara_Skin meshes (right-click > Export as .TRMVB)
- then import it over Lara (right-click > Import from .TRMVB, uncheck "Animations", don't check "Don't overwrite dummy meshes")
Then you can export your animation.
Thank you, it worked.
Old 28-12-15, 20:20   #14480
Axell

I'm trying to flip a normal room into a water room with the help of a switch. Now, I've managed to flip the map into the look I want it to be but using a flipeffect to flip it into a waterroom isn't working at all. I've tried to trigger both rooms, the new 'flipped' version and the old one. Yet, none will work.

I'm using flipeffects because I dislike the white light/water reflections given by normal water rooms.

Can anyone help?
Axell is offline   Reply With Quote