Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 17-06-15, 13:51   #601
Peixoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
well you see I quoted here that pcsx-reloaded stuff, because I guessed gte_accuracy.c contents namely that handful of functions could be helpful in a general way, not to mention that all the ps1 emulator things ought to be ported to glide wrapper usage

I also took due notice of Peixoto's subsequent somehow dismissive remark when he wrote: PC Tomb Raider only passes transform and lit polygons to the API. As the widescreen fix on PSXR works for every game, i suppose these games use a PSX API to transform polygons, unless it is a fix that reduces the vertical FOV instead of increasing the horizontal FOV. In any case, apply this fix to the PC version is useless, either it wont work or it will only reduce the vertical FOV
alrighty
all of that mostly in order to spare you pointless time expenditure if the horizontal fov isn't handled right anyway, though I'd gladly welcome some more words from Peixoto on this

let me add that addressing direct hex editing of an exe this way looks terribly hard, have you considered debugging dosbox ie using a dosbox.exe debug-enabled version to approach all the doggone stuff?
dosbox code is open, so is the glide patch (of course that'll be after you got a glimpse of where to start at)
in the past I've been using such a strategy myself, eg about the "missing shadow" issue, and I found it easier to (try to) come to grips with stuff.
Let me clarify my dismissive remarks

1st: gte_accuracy.c is a fix that improves the precision of vertexes coordinates, fixing those "dancing polygons" in the PS1 games

The widescreen fix is at this file:
https://pcsxr.codeplex.com/SourceCon...pcsxcore/gte.c
search for Config.Widescreen

Now, gte stands for "Geometry Transformation Engine", so it's natural to assume that the fix modifies the way the gte performs the projection transform (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx) to increase the horizontal fov.

The glide API doesn't provide a transformation API (look around, there is documentation available). Glide only accepts transform and lit vertexes, so there is no way that this fix can be ported to the glide wrapper.

It's possible to modify the code that does the transforms in tomb.exe itself, that is how i did widescreen patches form tomb raider 2,3 (not released), 4 and 5, but that will be no straight port of the gte fix and will require disassembling the exe with a debugger.

Last edited by Peixoto; 17-06-15 at 13:52.
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 15:43   #602
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peixoto View Post
It's possible to modify the code that does the transforms in tomb.exe itself, that is how i did widescreen patches form tomb raider 2,3 (not released), 4 and 5, but that will be no straight port of the gte fix and will require disassembling the exe with a debugger.
thx for sharing all the info.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 19:02   #603
tsivour

Default Tomb Raider 1996 (original) 16:9 patching

Peixoto:
Have you tried to find where you can change fov hex-ing tomb.exe?
I have found where I can zoom her in or out hex-ing tomb.exe.
I can share it with you so if we merge them together
we can nicely make a tr1 patch as well.
In the meanwhile I am still searching for the fov sectors by myself
without any success...

Nick

Quote:
Let me clarify my dismissive remarks

1st: gte_accuracy.c is a fix that improves the precision of vertexes coordinates, fixing those "dancing polygons" in the PS1 games

The widescreen fix is at this file:
https://pcsxr.codeplex.com/SourceCon...pcsxcore/gte.c
search for Config.Widescreen

Now, gte stands for "Geometry Transformation Engine", so it's natural to assume that the fix modifies the way the gte performs the projection transform (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx) to increase the horizontal fov.

The glide API doesn't provide a transformation API (look around, there is documentation available). Glide only accepts transform and lit vertexes, so there is no way that this fix can be ported to the glide wrapper.

tsivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 19:34   #604
Peixoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsivour View Post
Peixoto:
Have you tried to find where you can change fov hex-ing tomb.exe?
I have found where I can zoom her in or out hex-ing tomb.exe.
I can share it with you so if we merge them together
we can nicely make a tr1 patch as well.
In the meanwhile I am still searching for the fov sectors by myself
without any success...

Nick
I never hex-modded anything, i did my hacks modifying the games at runtime. The approach i used in the other games doesn't work in Tomb Raider 1. Either that part of the engine is very is different or the fact that it is emulated complicates things.

Last edited by Peixoto; 17-06-15 at 20:46.
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15, 19:43   #605
tsivour

Fair enough...
I will try dosbox debugger late this night in case I am lucky to find a close long constant to zooming that might declare fov.
Usually, 16 bit dos files especially written in C have graphic constants close
within the binary executable....
Lets see.....

Nick

Quote:
I never hex-modded anything, i did my hacks modifying the games at runtime. The approach i used in the other games, doesn't work in Tomb Raider 1. Either that part of the engine is very is different or the fact that it is emulated complicates things.
tsivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 03:16   #606
Craig Michaels

Just downloaded this, installed easily and had no trouble getting the game to start.

A few issues arose: strange wire frames and lagging.

- The wire-frames appeared around Lara's gunshots, and her body also appeared to have light gray wire showing through it.

- Lagging occurred with music (great to hear the music again, but it cut in and out every second), and in large rooms. Playing through Caves, it was worst in the wolf attack room, after the jump over the bear pit.

I have the GOG version of Tomb Raider, and running it on Windows 8.1. NVidia GeForce 840M.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 04:33   #607
Craig Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
Just downloaded this, installed easily and had no trouble getting the game to start.

A few issues arose: strange wire frames and lagging.
Solved my problem! I just pressed "F3" and both the lag and the wire frames resolved themselves simultaneously! Don't know exactly how that worked.

However, I noticed another problem: a number of Lara's lines are missing or wrong from the Home level.

- when Lara enters the music room, she says "D Pad" (audio = PS version).
- the line "Ah the Main Hall. Sorry about the crates..." is missing.
- the lines for several of the jumps are missing.
- the line "Ah Air!" and the explanation of water surface navigation are missing.

Am I the only one that has experienced this?
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 10:03   #608
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Solved my problem! I just pressed F3
that's just all there was to it as you already found out
Quote:
another problem: a number of Lara's lines are missing or wrong from the Home level
this is strange
have you tried using the installer on its own, I mean erasing \tombraider\*.* first (that or using the start menu uninstall feature) then reinstalling from scratch that is regardless of any gog thing, in case applying the no-cd patch too to see if issues are still there?

Last edited by gidierre; 03-07-15 at 10:11.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 12:10   #609
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
that's just all there was to it as you already found out
this is strange
have you tried using the installer on its own, I mean erasing \tombraider\*.* first (that or using the start menu uninstall feature) then reinstalling from scratch that is regardless of any gog thing, in case applying the no-cd patch too to see if issues are still there?
In my case she says "use the d-pad" too. I like it that way, though

The "Ah, air" line is not always missing in my experience. The one about the crates is always present. All of them but "Ah air" always work for me.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-15, 17:54   #610
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
I noticed another problem: a number of Lara's lines are missing or wrong from the Home level.
I'm using the GOG version too and I'm experiencing similar problems.

- I'm kind-of-missing the initial music room dialogue: "OK! Let's do some tumbling." It appears if you press the jump key at some point before entering the music room, though.

- Similar to the above, "Use the D-pad to enter the music room" doesn't appear if you press the jump key before activating that voice clip trigger.

- I'm also kind-of-missing the intro to the walk button in the gym, which I solved by not stopping Lara's run before getting on platform #1.

- And I'm entirely missing the intro to vaulting onto platform #5. No idea how to activate it.

Has anybody else noticed missing lines elsewhere in the game, like say fighting Larson and Pierre, or lines from Natla's goons in Natla's Mines?

Last edited by LateRaider; 21-07-15 at 18:10.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote