www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-03-20, 17:48   #311
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
With Reboot Lara, I just always get this sense that I can see the writers' motivations and thought processes in her actions and words moreso than Lara's. Like, it feels like I can tell that the writers were more concerned with how something Lara did would be perceived by people than with whether it was in-character for Lara to do it.
Isn't that like pretty much every character in popular culture these days? I'm telling you: we're living in the dark ages of popular culture, and pandering to PC culture is one of the reasons for that.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 18:47   #312
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Isn't that like pretty much every character in popular culture these days? I'm telling you: we're living in the dark ages of popular culture, and pandering to PC culture is one of the reasons for that.
Some parts of pop culture for sure, though there are loads of exceptions. Most of those can probably be found in TV shows but some of them in games, too. I think it's just a matter of framing in Lara's case. Because, yeah, a lot of what she does is morally wrong but then who ever claimed that Lara's actions had to be framed as if they're virtuous? That's what annoys me so much about Crystal's approach to Lara. It's like they cannot conceive the notion that, maybe, Lara isn't a "good guy".
Old 28-03-20, 19:24   #313
pharaea
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I am not an archaeologist, but I wonder if that is even true. The devs of the classic games used textures from real-life sources and the youtube series History and Geography in Tomb Raider by CroftManor shows there was some care put into this in the classics too.
I actually consulted with CroftManor on that one, as we are close friends. However, the care they put into the classics didn't go as far as we, as fans, might like. I wrote my BA thesis on the subject, and from my standpoint, it hurts to see Minoan frescoes be used as a siding in an "ancient swimming pool".

I'm not saying they didn't do research. I'm saying they didn't put enough care into it to make it somewhat accurate, which I'm guessing is due to the time the games were made and the lack of possibilities to do it any other way.
Old 28-03-20, 19:25   #314
larafan25
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaea View Post
I actually consulted with CroftManor on that one, as we are close friends. However, the care they put into the classics didn't go as far as we, as fans, might like. I wrote my BA thesis on the subject, and from my standpoint, it hurts to see Minoan frescoes be used as a siding in an "ancient swimming pool".

I'm not saying they didn't do research. I'm saying they didn't put enough care into it to make it somewhat accurate, which I'm guessing is due to the time the games were made and the lack of possibilities to do it any other way.
And it's fantasy, deliberately inaccurate for the creative fun of it. I doubt they cared where those textures came from so much as how they could use them in their own ways.
Old 28-03-20, 19:31   #315
pharaea
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
And it's fantasy, deliberately inaccurate for the creative fun of it. I doubt they cared where those textures came from so much as how they could use them in their own ways.
Yeah, that's my point. I enjoyed the fantasy aspect of it for decades, and I have no qualms with it personally. I just prefer the way it is handled in the reboot.
Old 29-03-20, 07:19   #316
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Some parts of pop culture for sure, though there are loads of exceptions.
Yeah, when I say everyone I mean most of them of course...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:13   #317
killchan
Explorer

This thread

Last edited by killchan; Today at 11:59.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote