www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 27-12-19, 06:06   #1
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

Question Joker (2019)

Thoughts? I have a whole lot!
Old 27-12-19, 09:38   #2
_Seth
Archaeologist

I quite liked it. It's not as utterly amazing as it's made out to be, but was pretty good.
Old 27-12-19, 13:50   #3
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Certain corners of the internet make it seem like it's a problematic movie, and maybe it is, but personally I enjoyed it. Or, 'enjoyed' is probably not the right word, but it was an engrossing experience that stuck with me for a while afterwards. Solidly crafted with great acting. I imagine I'll come back to it again at some point, but probably not more than once or twice, as it is pretty dark all the way through to its core, something I'm not usually looking for in a movie. I much prefer something like Prisoners, which is also quite grim, but at least offers glimmers of hope.
Still, Joker is a good movie. It affects the viewer, as any decent movie should. It overindulges a little on Bruce Wayne at the end (there's really no need to show the alley scene; most people will infer that it takes place, and even if you "miss" it, it adds very little to this movie's narrative to explicitly show the murder. This should be solely Joker's story, unless they mean to set it up for a sequel (which I would also argue is probably a mistake)), but that's just a tiny piece of criticism among all the good bits.

Last edited by MrBear; 27-12-19 at 13:51. Reason: Hid a minor spoiler
MrBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 05:56   #4
Cat Woman
Explorer

I have not seen the movie yet. But, Joaquin Phoenix just won Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards.
Old 12-01-20, 03:12   #5
SnatchingEdges
Student

It's probably my fav DC movie, buuut I think it's been generally overrated (I don't like to use that word, but it suits this movie).

It's one of those films that basic people watch and go like 'omg I understood the plot, I'm so clever and so deep'. It's not a deep movie, it's just a bunch of ideas put altogether (clinical, political, psychological, familiar, social, etc. backgrounds all mixed to explain this Joker) in order to make a CoOmpLEx story.

Todd Phillips took the Wikipedia definition of mental illness and made a movie about it. It could've been way better if the plot or some scenes were not that edgy.

I don't find the film problematic. How the incel culture and the alt right audience has taken a terrorist like the Joker as an idol to represent their ideals is indeed problematic, but it's not the character the issue. Todd is another grown up edgy kid that complains because we cannot tell jokes nowadays while he's making a lot in his billionaire movie. Lol, some people like to play the victim too much. Tldr is a good story but it's not that deep, ladies lol.

I also don't like the idea that a sequel is probably coming. The film is already okay, they already had plans fo the upcoming Batman movie and I don't want to make last minute changes in order to fit the Joker timeline. A sequel would probably ruin this Joker and the new Batman.
Old 12-01-20, 13:33   #6
Teone
Student

I'm going to watch it this evening.
I can't wait.

Then I'll edit this post to say my impressions.

-----
EDIT: Watched!

It's a good movie. Joaquin Phoenix is great.
The film is dark, sad and violent. I liked it but I don't consider it a masterpiece.
Todd Phillips is famous as comedies director, this is his first drama (if I'm not wrong) and probably he has to refine better the syntax of a different cinematographic language.
Anyway the vision of this movie is warmly recommended.

Last edited by Teone; 13-01-20 at 11:10.
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 18:19   #7
Kivlov
Historian

Great movie! Gloomy enough (how every DC film must be)! And we got a nice backstory of Batman. But a bit tightened though...
Old 14-01-20, 03:34   #8
Stosh
Archaeologist

But can he outdo Heath Ledger?
Old 14-01-20, 11:13   #9
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
But can he outdo Heath Ledger?
I think the point is not to try.

I'm a little curious about your phrasing, though; are there rumours of a sequel, or have you not seen the movie yet? If it's the latter, then you really can't compare their performances, at least not in terms of who is the "better" Joker, as they are depicting two very different characters.
Old 15-01-20, 02:45   #10
Stosh
Archaeologist

^
I have not seen the movie.
I was curious if his acting was the same caliber as Heath's.