www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 08-01-20, 07:23   #11
Videogame
Hobbyist

No auto aim but run and fun shooting like max Payne and Control. It would be sort of a hybrid of game design between classic arena shooters for non humans, and human enemies will force you in to cover somewhat because of their hitscan weapons.
Videogame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 08:10   #12
Samz
Relic Hunter

I'd want basically underworld's combat system back but with Core-Design style ammo/weapon/health pick-ups. (You even have a more accurate manual aim for longer distances.)

The reboot's system is just clunky and hillariously broken, it manages to be one of the biggest ways the game undercuts it's own message of " A SURVIVOR IS BORN." by having her basically be a Terminator with Tear Ducts, resources are super common, fighting animals is incredibly awkward due to the over-the-shoulder prespective and how it's handled and basically, its incredibly easy, unless you're doing Rise with non-regnerative health, in which case it just gets incredibly easy once you start getting upgrades.

Lara also has too much zoom and the enemy AI is too braindead to make chain-headshotting groups not way too easy, I am not a good headshot machine but Enemies are too predicatable for me not to be.

In Rise, it is never a question of "Which weapon is more suited to the situation", its a question of "Do I want to use the hillariously broken alternate arrow types to end the fight in 5 seconds or do I want it to take 10 seconds of headshots."

I want a simple but working combat system where managing resources and which weapon is best against how available it's ammo is with the biggest focus on puzzles and exploration, give a me a simple, working combat system and put the focus on in-depth platforming/puzzles and finding secrets that reward me and give a feeling of Catharsis when I get to let loose with those uzi's I found as a secret a few levels back.

When I play AOD and I get the Scorpion-X machine pistols, when I get the Rocket Launcher in TR3 or when I get super grenades in TR4, I actually conserve them and save them a bit since they're rare and useful, when I get Grenades in 2013/Rise, eh, I'll get them back 6 seconds later from the people I just killed.

Last edited by Samz; 08-01-20 at 08:19.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 08:12   #13
SoraSakai
Professor

I think the combat system for the reboot games is like the only thing I definitively hate about them. I’ve always found it disgustingly clunky.
Old 12-01-20, 12:13   #14
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I'm all for a drastic reduce of human enemies. Let gives animals and fantastical creatures some place. I'm enough with mercenaries being almost the exclusive enemies for three games in a row. Either the system is manual aim or not.
However I guess with some very small and veloce animals like rats, or volatile ones it would be a nightmare to fight with the current system. It should have some adjustments and I'm not sure an assistance, slighty auto-target for small enemies will be the best way but it would at least help.
I wouldn't be mad with a return of auto-aim but that is not what I truly want. I rather want an upgrade of the system of the reboot one, make it more energic and strategic and drop the cover system.
Old 14-01-20, 11:31   #15
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I'm gonna make a thread never mind

Last edited by charmedangelin; 14-01-20 at 11:38.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 15:39   #16
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I didn't play Shadow, but in TR2013 and Rise I hated the parts where combat against animals was a set-piece. Animals shouldn't be a separate thing, they shouldn't be reserved to bosses and scripted sequences, they shouldn't have a different combat system. IMO they should be the most common type of enemy and they should be the ordinary enemies of the games.
Old 14-01-20, 15:55   #17
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

But the animal fights weren't setpieces in ROTTR. What are you talking about? The only set piece is the first time you run into the bear, and have to run away from it. Then you go back and have a normal fight with it. As well as the leopards, wolves and other bears farther on

Last edited by Vaskito; 14-01-20 at 15:59.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 16:43   #18
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
But the animal fights weren't setpieces in ROTTR. What are you talking about? The only set piece is the first time you run into the bear, and have to run away from it. Then you go back and have a normal fight with it. As well as the leopards, wolves and other bears farther on
That's right, the setpieces are there just for introducing them (wolves and the bear) but other than that, you fight them as usual.
Old 14-01-20, 17:57   #19
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Well, set-pieces and boss fights are the only times I saw them. They are so optional (and rare) that you can play the games and never fight them again.
Old 14-01-20, 18:16   #20
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Well, set-pieces and boss fights are the only times I saw them. They are so optional (and rare) that you can play the games and never fight them again.
That is also unfortunately true !