www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 05-01-20, 02:32   #1
Mutant Messiah
Student

Default Video games similar to the Tomb Raider reboot.

To be honest, I only have two other games which I consider to be better than the Tomb Raider reboot.

1. Witcher 3
2. GTA 5

I think I have a somewhat simple criteria in looking for a game.

1. Single player third person
2. Triple A quality (non mandatory)
3. There's good combat
4. There's REALLY good side exploration if you don't want to go to the campaign part.
5. "Proper pacing"
6. If pacing drags, then I can go to number 4

I bought Uncharted 4 during the PS4 Black Friday sale, and I was surprised how dragging this game is. I thought this game is supposed to be a 10/10. LOL

Well, Witcher also drags at some point, but there's a whole world to explore to amuse you while sidetracking.

Is Uncharted 4 a template of how Naughty Dog creates games? Because if it's so, I'm not sure if I'm willing to give The Last of Us a Try.

I mean, you know there's something wrong with Uncharted 4 when you're killing more baddies in Rise of the Tomb Raider and it has more climbing section than Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I mean, if you're going to promote something as the Game of The Year, make it significantly better than the Tomb Raider reboot at the very least.

Anyway, I've narrowed down my choices to these two games that I want to play next.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn (already bundled with the PS4)
2. Spider-Man

Are these really great choices or there's another looming flaw to these games that will surprise me?

I'm not that hard to please and I still play relatively simpler games like Temple of the Osiris and Lara Croft Go.

I enjoyed Max Payne 3 even, which is not even as popular as Uncharted 4.
Mutant Messiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 04:20   #2
Zebra
Legend

Haven't played Spider-Man. Had a lot of fun with Horizon, though. It has its flaws but it does seem to tick all your boxes and it's a good game all in all.

Is The Last of Us like Uncharted 4? Well... yes and no. Uncharted as a series has always been quite cheesy and over-the-top whereas The Last of Us is way more grounded, serious and mature in tone. You don't really get those big Uncharted-style set-pieces in The Last of Us. The Last of Us' combat is also quite a bit different. More methodical, tense and stealth-based (though Uncharted 4 did have more stealth than previous Uncharted games). It has quite a few environments that allow you to explore a bit but usually not to the same extent as the hubs in the TReboot games and there aren't any "side quests" or anything like that. It's a relatively linear game. However, I definitely don't think that it dragged. It has a really good story and great pacing so I don't think that the lack of side content should be too big a problem for you. (EDIT: Well, I should mention that, while there are no side quests, exploring an area is often rewarded via resources (which are relatively rare in this game) and nuggets of backstory.)

(That being said, I actually liked Uncharted 4 - despite some issues I had with it - and dislike the TReboot games so take my advice with a grain of salt .)

I think you might also like the latest God of War. It doesn't have too much side exploration (though there is some) but it definitely ticks all your other boxes and it's a great game.

It's been a long time since I've played it but I also have very fond memories of Sleeping Dogs and since you've listed GTAV, I think you might enjoy it, as well. It's basically a GTA game (but better IMO) set in Hong Kong but with characters and a story that I actually gave a **** about. It's a great game.

Then there's Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which seems to have taken a lot of inspiration from The Witcher 3. However, I personally did find that it went on for too long and things started getting a bit tedious and grindy around two thirds in or so (and its story and side quests definitely cannot hold a candle to The Witcher's). Other than that it's a good game.

Last edited by Zebra; 05-01-20 at 04:24.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 04:45   #3
SnatchingEdges
Student

If Uncharted 4 has less baddies than Rise, then the problem is Rise and not U4.

Yeah, I think you'll like those games. Horizon is slower, bigger and more challenging, while Spiderman is easier, more fun and more fast-paced.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 05-01-20 at 04:49.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 18:47   #4
DragonSlayer
Professor

Go with Horizon Zero Dawn it covers 1 to 5 on your list.

@Zebra what flaws do you think the game had I don't recall any.

The three things I would have changed in Horizon Zero Dawn are much much more inventory space I frequently ran out of space when taking parts left behind by machines that I'd killed, a safehouse for Aloy to stash her stuff in I found it odd that with all the friends Aloy made and the places she visited no-one offered to give her a place to stay and finally an ability for Aloy to remotely connect to a merchant through her focus to sell parts left behind by defeated machines instead of having to fast travel to anywhere that had a merchant.

Final Fantasy 8 had this ability and it was a useful one especially once access to all the various locations was cut off.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 00:02   #5
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Go with Horizon Zero Dawn it covers 1 to 5 on your list.

@Zebra what flaws do you think the game had I don't recall any.
It's been a while since I played it so my memory of it is a bit hazy but off thetop of my head:
  • I feel like they could've done way more with the story and the world. The backstory/history was awesome but the actual plot felt a bit lacklustre and the world was good but there were a few points where I feel like it could've been so much better.
  • Personally, I also would've preferred your choices to have more of an impact on the story. From what I remember, they mostly didn't.
  • Things could get a bit grindy/repetitive at times from what I remember.
  • The traversal/climbing was just laughably bad. I know that it's not meant to be the focus of the game so it's not a huge deal but they could've done so much more with that.
Old 06-01-20, 12:41   #6
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
It's been a while since I played it so my memory of it is a bit hazy but off thetop of my head:
  • I feel like they could've done way more with the story and the world. The backstory/history was awesome but the actual plot felt a bit lacklustre and the world was good but there were a few points where I feel like it could've been so much better.
  • Personally, I also would've preferred your choices to have more of an impact on the story. From what I remember, they mostly didn't.
  • Things could get a bit grindy/repetitive at times from what I remember.
  • The traversal/climbing was just laughably bad. I know that it's not meant to be the focus of the game so it's not a huge deal but they could've done so much more with that.
Ok I didn't see any of that when I played the game, I enjoyed the game very much and killing robot dinosaurs never got old.
Old 06-01-20, 12:59   #7
dg1995
Historian

Play Indiana Jones and the emperor's tomb.

It has a great hand to hand combat.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 14:59   #8
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Ok I didn't see any of that when I played the game, I enjoyed the game very much and killing robot dinosaurs never got old.
I tend to get bored with combat very quickly so that may be why. I can appreciate that Horizon's combat is good but even it got old for me at some point. I tried to do things stealthily as much as possible.
Old 06-01-20, 21:06   #9
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I tend to get bored with combat very quickly so that may be why. I can appreciate that Horizon's combat is good but even it got old for me at some point. I tried to do things stealthily as much as possible.
I only did things stealthily on the harder difficulties to avoid getting into harder fights and when I didn't feel like getting into a fight on the lower difficulties.