Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 31-03-18, 10:32   #21
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickieLeeCroft View Post
P.S.: and I already forgot one change - do you remember when she talked to Roth that "come and get me" stuff ?
Since that she changed a lot, because in ROTTR she instead of asking Jonah to help her she try to protect him and she told him that she needs to do this alone. I think that's a really great change, don't you think?
Definitely. Some people tend to forget these kind of scenes but I don't see Rise Lara saying "come and get me", so the progression is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedToaster View Post
She reminds me of a jaguar in the new Shadow render. A predator, stalking its prey. Ready to pounce. Stealthy, in control, and prepared
This so much.

What I want to know is IF we finally get THE Tomb Raider, what's the next logical step for Lara as a character after Shadow?

Last edited by iWANEX; 31-03-18 at 10:33.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 10:33   #22
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
This so much.

What I want to know is IF we finally get THE Tomb Raider, what's the next logical step for Lara as a character after Shadow?
She'd adopt treasure hunting as her main career. She'd probably start doing it for fun.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 10:44   #23
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
She'd adopt treasure hunting as her main career. She'd probably start doing it for fun.
The main problem with doing it just for fun is that, not only it could be problematic for some people (rich white girl stealing from native people because she just can), but also, they'd be erasing her inner conflict and would potentially make Lara's character less layered and less interesting to the public. Games like Uncharted or The Last of Us succeed because of the characters, their conflicts and their relationships. They are relatable in that way. Like Nathan settling down with Elena but secretly wanting adventure. I think that was really good storytelling and a fantastic starting point for the game.

So if Lara goes back to her classic self with no-one in her life and no conflict whatsoever, what's left for the character to do other than stealing from natives to have a nice relic collection at her manor?

I really loved her London life in the movie and (even if it's an unpopular opinion here), I'd love to see some of that incorporated in future games, even if it's just a starting point for her adventures.
Old 31-03-18, 10:54   #24
Chamayoo

She could enjoy treasure hunting for fun and all of that, but the writers could invent a new and interesting character issue or story in Lara's life without involved Trinity and her family.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 11:00   #25
biscuits

Quote:
The main problem with doing it just for fun is that, not only it could be problematic for some people (rich white girl stealing from native people because she just can), but also, they'd be erasing her inner conflict and would potentially make Lara's character less layered and less interesting to the public. Games like Uncharted or The Last of Us succeed because of the characters, their conflicts and their relationships. They are relatable in that way. Like Nathan settling down with Elena but secretly wanting adventure. I think that was really good storytelling and a fantastic starting point for the game.

So if Lara goes back to her classic self with no-one in her life and no conflict whatsoever, what's left for the character to do other than stealing from natives to have a nice relic collection at her manor?

I really loved her London life in the movie and (even if it's an unpopular opinion here), I'd love to see some of that incorporated in future games, even if it's just a starting point for her adventures.
I don't know what personal struggles she'd go though after taking down trinity though. Does she really need a deep and profound reason to go on these adventures?

If I was in charge I'd have her work with Kaz, Sam, and Jonah to hunt various artifacts so they can donate it to museums and other institutions. I really enjoyed what the reboot series had to offer but this new age of characters needing to have some deep reason to pursue their passions is starting to get old for me. Having her pursue tomb raiding and archaeology because she loves it is a lot more compelling in my opinion.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 11:04   #26
kathrynnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
If I was in charge I'd have her work with Kaz, Sam, and Jonah to hunt various artifacts so they can donate it to museums and other institutions. I really enjoyed what the reboot series had to offer but this new age of characters needing to have some deep reason to pursue their passions is starting to get old for me. Having her pursue tomb raiding and archaeology because she loves it is a lot more compelling in my opinion.
I agree 100%. After she deals with Trinity in Shadow I really don't think it will be necessary for Lara or any other characters to have some deeply emotional reason to do whatever it is they're going to do next. After Shadow they should have Lara be driven by her passion for tomb raiding. After all, this game is where she's supposed to 'become the tomb raider'.
kathrynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 11:09   #27
VictorXD

Quote:
Definitely. Some people tend to forget these kind of scenes but I don't see Rise Lara saying "come and get me", so the progression is there.

I love how the beginning of Siberia is a clear parallel to the first hours of TR2013 in regards to Lara's growth. There are a lot of little things like this.
VictorXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 11:51   #28
Grizzly Bear

This trilogy seems to be based on myths about immortality (Himiko in Tomb Raider 2013, the Divine Source in Rise and probably something similar in Shadow (maybe the fountain of Youth that we've seen in Rise?)), Lara is following her father steps and she said that he was obsessed with myths about immortality; I guess this will change after Shadow and there will be different kinds of myths.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 12:02   #29
iWANEX
Golden

I personally don't understand this mentality of "she should just play for sport" without any deep meaning at all. Not only wouldn't sit well with people for being a little bit problematic (for the reasons I stated above) but it also gives zero chance for character development.

Classic Lara as a character had fantastic traits but I don't think the general public would be willing to go back to a character that was a little bit one-dimensional. Gamers today want to see more grounded experiences with characters that are complex, believable and relatable. I mean, look at The Lost Legacy, or Horizon Zero Dawn, or even better, look at the upcoming God of War. The main character was an incredible warrior. And that's it. That's how it's perceived. Now he has his son as a companion and that will add more depth to a once one-dimensional character. The dynamic between the two and their story will be as important as the gameplay. There's a reason all the studios are doing this. Even Core tried to add some emotional depth to Lara by adding more characters and changing her motivation in AOD. I fear that if CD (or whoever is in charge) try to fully go back to Classic Lara (specially TR1-TR3), the character will lose the depth that these kind of games need to succeed in this day's gaming industry.

I think a mix of Classic (TR4-AOD) Lara and Rise Lara would be ideal but they should also come up with a deeper reason for her adventures other than "ok, this is fun, I'm doing it". It can be fun (and I certainly want some light hearted moments for Lara in future games) but I also want it to be much more than that. I'd also like to add that I hope they find another reason for the adventures other than Trinity and her family. That story needs closure with this game FOR GOOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I love how the beginning of Siberia is a clear parallel to the first hours of TR2013 in regards to Lara's growth. There are a lot of little things like this.
Oh you're right! That's a good one.
Old 31-03-18, 12:16   #30
dcw123

^ Thats the issue here IMO

People have such short attention spans and everything has to be soap-drama melodramatic constantly, or else people get bored.

I'm all for a more relatable Lara - but all the Daddy and Trinity stuff really annoyed me in Rise..
I doubt they can keep that up forever after the trilogy ends..

Even Nate in Uncharted simply wanted treasure and fortune - nothing more..
Thats also why he goes against Elena in UC4.. he does it for the sheer thrill of adventure.
Something Lara SHOULD be doing too IMO - something I hope she'll start to do in Shadow

And sure UC4 added some of the family dynamic stuff too - I liked it, it added depth - but the difference is Naughty Dog wrote better than CD.
It never came of as too cheesy or B Movie to me
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote