www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 21-06-20, 04:27   #1
.snake.
Historian

Default TR2 Audio does not play underwater...?

Hey everyone,
I am currently running the TR2 version of Steam on my Windows 10 PC, and I just noticed something I never remembered from having played it before in the past (multiple times, years ago)...

When Lara is underwater, you cannot hear the music that is playing. I first noticed this in the manor when I press the button for the Venice Violins and then went to dive into the water - no audio until I come back to the surface. I then noticed it again in Venice at the start when I get to the little wooden house where the guy with the bat and doberman come at you: an audio tune plays, but if I dive into the water, she can't hear it anymore.

This can't be how it's always been? I seem to remember hearing atmospheric music and ambience when playing the Maria Doria levels and being underwater, so there has to be some problem with me version.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-20, 06:37   #2
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Hey everyone,
I am currently running the TR2 version of Steam on my Windows 10 PC, and I just noticed something I never remembered from having played it before in the past (multiple times, years ago)...

When Lara is underwater, you cannot hear the music that is playing. I first noticed this in the manor when I press the button for the Venice Violins and then went to dive into the water - no audio until I come back to the surface. I then noticed it again in Venice at the start when I get to the little wooden house where the guy with the bat and doberman come at you: an audio tune plays, but if I dive into the water, she can't hear it anymore.

This can't be how it's always been? I seem to remember hearing atmospheric music and ambience when playing the Maria Doria levels and being underwater, so there has to be some problem with me version.
This is the problem of all TR2 versions on PC. But there is a way to fix this (and to fix/imrove many other things) - TR2Main. Read here.
Old 21-06-20, 09:11   #3
.snake.
Historian

I followed the instructions in that post just now, and now the game wont even launch at all. Great...

It looks like this is a very useful patch, but I must be missing some steps or instructions in that post. I tried pasting everything as you said, but the game will not start up. So I just deleted the files and had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to work again.

Last edited by .snake.; 21-06-20 at 09:30.
Old 21-06-20, 09:53   #4
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
I followed the instructions in that post just now, and now the game wont even launch at all. Great...

It looks like this is a very useful patch, but I must be missing some steps or instructions in that post. I tried pasting everything as you said, but the game will not start up. So I just deleted the files and had to uninstall and reinstall the game to get it to work again.
Wait, maybe you did something wrong. Try the minimal option:
  1. Backup your tomb2.exe somewhere, so you can recover the game anytime without reinstalling it. If you want to recover the game, just copy the original exe back into game folder.
  2. Copy just two files from ZIP (developer's build, not GitHub release) into your game folder: tomb2.exe and TR2Main.DLL
Also It is known that Comodo antivirus blocks such game patches for some reason.

If the problem remains (the game does not launch), I would like to find out what's wrong, because it's important for me to eliminate such problems.
Old 22-06-20, 02:22   #5
.snake.
Historian

I have done this now, added the two files you suggested to my TR2 folder, and it overwrote the .exe (which I backed up this time).

The game does launch, but... there is still no audio underwater, and now also no FMVs play.
Old 22-06-20, 02:44   #6
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

I do hope you launched TR2setup before you launched after the tr2main paste.

Make a shortcut of your new tomb2.exe
right click the shortcut and click properties
There should be 3 text boxes. In the TARGET box - scroll to the end
you want to amend this to become whatever your tr2 install directory is/tomb2.exe setup
(space included between tomb2.exe and setup)
apply.

Open shortcut - you will now have the settings window.
Fill it in and play. This should do it.

If not -you haven't copied everything needed from TR2main.
Old 22-06-20, 03:25   #7
.snake.
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Fill it in and play. This should do it.
Fill it in you say, but with what?

I've run the setup. It still doesn't change anything. Not only does the audio still not work underwater, but now FMV's are also not working ever since I add TR2main.
Old 22-06-20, 04:12   #8
Kirishima
Explorer

The fmv's need the ffplay dll to run, regardless of whether you're replacing them with updated versions or not. It should've already been included with that version of TR2main. As for the underwater music, since you were able to get TR2main running, all you need to do is enable the option with the reg file included in ExtraOptions folder.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 04:18   #9
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
there is still no audio underwater
Most TR2Main features are optional and disabled by default, to enable them you need to double click some REG files in the ExtraOptions folder. You need "ExtraOptions/Sound/UnderwaterMusicMute_None.reg" (music volume underwater is the same as above water) or "UnderwaterMusicMute_Quiet.reg" (music volume underwater is low). Default option is "UnderwaterMusicMute_Full.reg" (music is mute underwater).
I highly recommend other options in REG files, especially if you saw the Playstation version of the game with it's previously exclusive graphic effects.
Quote:
and now also no FMVs play.
For FMV copy ffplay.dll in your game folder too.

P.S. Copy TR2Main.json and pix folder into your game folder too. They are not supposed to break the game launch, but they're required for some cool features.
Old 22-06-20, 06:21   #10
.snake.
Historian

Okay, so could you please tell me exactly which files from your download that I am meant to copy into my TR2 folder. You said above in post 3 that I should only copy two files. Also what is a REG file?

Do you have a pdf or manual that walks someone through all this because it really is not very clear.

Last edited by .snake.; 22-06-20 at 06:22.