www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 25-08-19, 13:59   #501
Paititi
Hobbyist

Finally started this mode for my NG+ run. Man, is it brutal. Cozumel alone took me probably 15+ tries. Wasn't expecting the combat section to be so damn difficult even knowing how it pays out prior. The DLC tombs are gonna be BRUTAL on this mode.
Paititi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-19, 20:13   #502
Robwood
Professor

Fear arrows are your friend. Also, when fighting Amaru at the end, use fear arrows and flare rounds--it only takes 2 - 3 hits to initiate each stabbing.
Old 25-08-19, 20:28   #503
veigafd
Archaeologist

When you feel that Lara is more overpowered than any enemy in the game you see that the hardest modes in this trilogy is a piece of cake
Old 25-08-19, 20:33   #504
tomee
Tomb Raider

God, I'm still salty about what they did to Cenote. There's supposed to be a campfire in the room with the water wheels, but it only appears when revisiting the area, not on your first visit. A checkpoint similar to the ones in Cozumel or at the end of San Juan would've been fair. I remember having to do the combat section and the puzzle in Cenote at least like 10 times, because I would miss a jump in the scripted chase afterwards or one of the overhang jumps. I think there's also a piranha pool just before arriving back to Paititi and they all throw you ALL THE WAY BACK to where Lara acquires the shotgun. Madness.
Old 25-08-19, 20:36   #505
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
God, I'm still salty about what they did to Cenote. There's supposed to be a campfire in the room with the water wheels, but it only appears when revisiting the area, not on your first visit. A checkpoint similar to the ones in Cozumel or at the end of San Juan would've been fair. I remember having to do the combat section and the puzzle in Cenote at least like 10 times, because I would miss a jump in the scripted chase afterwards or one of the overhang jumps. I think there's also a piranha pool just before arriving back to Paititi and they all throw you ALL THE WAY BACK to where Lara acquires the shotgun. Madness.
The challenge
Old 26-08-19, 01:02   #506
Lyle Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
The challenge
The annoyance!
Old 26-08-19, 04:46   #507
Retrowave
Hobbyist

I will say Deadly Obsession did make the jumping sections extremely tense like the classics, though for all the wrong reasons. I got stuck in one of the last sections with an easy jump that would just not register correctly.
Retrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-19, 11:10   #508
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
The challenge
Nothing challenging or fun about it.
Old 26-08-19, 16:41   #509
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Nothing challenging or fun about it.
I'm more on this side, too. I've played the classics on PC when I was younger (as one of the first games I ever played), so I got used to the concept of being able to save before (and after) a challenging segment, so I didn't have to complete the whole section again. I guess this formed my understanding of games in a way, so I can't really translate having to repeat certain sections over and over again just because I failed somewhere at the end into "challenge". In general, I dislike games that take away my freedom to save whenever I want - especially if they drag out the savepoints to more than a few minutes of gameplay. It's just how I grew up, I guess.
Old 26-08-19, 20:05   #510
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I'm more on this side, too. I've played the classics on PC when I was younger (as one of the first games I ever played), so I got used to the concept of being able to save before (and after) a challenging segment, so I didn't have to complete the whole section again. I guess this formed my understanding of games in a way, so I can't really translate having to repeat certain sections over and over again just because I failed somewhere at the end into "challenge". In general, I dislike games that take away my freedom to save whenever I want - especially if they drag out the savepoints to more than a few minutes of gameplay. It's just how I grew up, I guess.
Even PS players got freedom to save wherever they wanted to in TR2, TR4 and TRC, so this obsession with being able to die any time eludes me. Are you guys seriously telling me repeating the same sequences that, as exciting as they can be, grow old by your third or fourth, let alone twelfth attempt?

I like a challenging sequence too where you have to carefully measure your every step or time your jumps correctly, but after executing them, I have no desire to repeat it. I like when the fun is not sucked out of my games via such artificial means.