www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: What is your overall opinion of Shadow?
I like it. 102 47.66%
I mostly like it. 79 36.92%
I mostly dislike it. 23 10.75%
I dislike it. 10 4.67%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-19, 15:23   #121
Gemma Darkmoon
Student

I am in two minds about Shadow so I went for mostly like. It's puzzles and combat are the best since Legend. I think they are really excellent and the game is the first in a long while to get all three pillars right plus in a well balanced way. I enjoyed this game far more than the other reboot TR games.

The game set out to show us Lara becoming the tomb raider, having moral choices and to showcase a grand city. In all of these they failed to deliver. Lara didn't become the tomb raider and doing all those side-quests felt slow compared to the narrative of the game. The attire direction and attitude towards classic signatures were total failures that leave a bitter taste. It's a real shame when so much was great in this game.
Gemma Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-19, 15:58   #122
thomas.smith.503
Historian

I am surprised how much value the DLC added - I have been rediscovering the game since completing it and absolutely loving it The only things I dislike are the social aspects (Paititi), the outfit restrictions and the collection frenzy. Otherwise this is pretty close to perfect. A bit more combat would also be welcome.
thomas.smith.503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-19, 21:18   #123
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

brought me the closest to how i remember feeling while playing the original games. might not be perfect, but i've grown difficult to please.

i rather have less humans in the future. more exploration and more variety regarding level design... i would also prefer to have the combat to be alternative gameplay. shoot if you please, but killing is avoidable if one rather so.

i pretty much loved the game. all the voice acting was pretty pretty good, (even though lara for me is still keeley), and the sound design and MUSIC was spot on. a massive improvement over rise and TR13. not to mention over TRLAU.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 16:26   #124
NickieLeeCroft
Hobbyist

Location: Slovakia, Zlate Moravce, soon finally in my own flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
The story is ridicolous. Lara's characterization is ridicolous (gurl, you just killed almost all Mexico citizens and at the end you don't even give a damn **** about them?! It's all finished because "I kIlLeD tHe kIlLer oF mY FaThEr". She does everything to reach her goals, even killing an entire country)..
I think that's classic Lara's characterization. Does everything to reach her goals. 😁
NickieLeeCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 16:46   #125
NickieLeeCroft
Hobbyist

My overal opinion about shadow is that from the whole trilogy is definitely the best.
Why? Here's my summary :

1. Lara's skills. We have at least half of the skills we get in rise so it seems and feel more like a sequel than rise felt. Yeah, there's a lot of them, but overall I found them useful especially on deadly obsession difficulty.
2. Story itself. I mean, it's not perfect. It could be better, but considering what kind of mess we get at the end of rise... I'm surprised that story works so well in the end.
3. Soundtrack. I generally enjoyed every single soundtrack from every single tomb raider game/movie, but this one got me more than the others. I used to adore Jason Graves's work, but compared to this masterpiece that got so many elements of the classic and yet it's going its own way... I mean, I totally understand why so many people hate Shadow, but after listening to that soundtrack it definitely became my favourite game of all. And mostly because of soundtrack that suits so well to the tones of peruvian jungle and Mayan civilization. And also to whole journey of Lara croft in this trilogy.
4. Environment. To be honest, first TR had all kind of environments - from forest to icy mountains to dusty tombs. Rise had with except of Syrian level only snow snow snow and I was pretty much tired from it. But jungle... I genuinely felt all the time like that jungle was living on its own. Such amazing and colorful! I don't think that I saw better graphics and better playing with colors than here. But I'm like... I'm usually playing only or TR, or alien isolation all over again cuz there's not much games that are having that something special I love.
5. Stealth. In rise stealth was pretty good but here it's totally new level. And actually it worked way much better than in rise.
6. Library. I mean, that level is one huge HELL YEAH! for me. And especially that music that plays in library. Like there's nothing. Not a single bad word I can say about that level.
7. Trinity pursuits finally revealed. It only took... 2 games actually but still. And it's just nice to see how trinity finally ended.
8. Tombs. They are srsly deadly. And if you are playing it on deadly obsession, tombs are seriously deadly and I've never felt that scared.
9. Spanish as the main language of basically almost everyone. It felt so great to hear something else than English. At least I've learned few things so.

I don't know. I can't remember more things I love about this game. Because for me it's so far the best tomb raider game by CD/SE.
I totally understand why so many people hate this exact game but.. Does any of them ever tried to enjoy it? I know that it's basically same game as TR2013 just with better graphics and better game play, but this game have so many similarities to TRIV, which was my first tomb raider game ever. And 19 years later I'm still obssesed with tomb raider just like when I was a kid. And I feel empty after finishing it just like I felt after finishing tomb raider the last revelation. So basically I don't care what other thinks, 'cuz for me this is the best game we got so far.
Old 02-09-19, 17:02   #126
Tomb Raidering
Explorer

NickieLeeCroft, don’t double post or the mods/admins will be summoned upon You can edit your previous post on the thread....

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 03-09-19 at 07:42.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 17:28   #127
NickieLeeCroft
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
NickieLeeCroft, don’t double post or the modies/admies will be summoned upon You can edit your previous post on the thread....
What do you mean by that double post? (English isn't my first language so I'm kinda lost. I've checked this topic and didn't find other post by me here)...
Edit : oh, now I see. My apologies 😅

Last edited by NickieLeeCroft; 02-09-19 at 17:29.
Old 02-09-19, 17:50   #128
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
modies/admies
what's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickieLeeCroft View Post
What do you mean by that double post? (English isn't my first language so I'm kinda lost. I've checked this topic and didn't find other post by me here)...
Edit : oh, now I see. My apologies ��
You've poste twice, which isn't allowed. You should edit your first post intsead. (by adding your second post to your first post.)
Zsott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 18:25   #129
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

A very narrow "mostly dislike". It would have been "mostly okay", but it gives me motion sickness when I play it for too long (which is why I still haven't finished it yet).
Old 02-09-19, 18:31   #130
E.Carnby
Archaeologist

Even setting the difficulty on hard is too causal game. For the third game of the trilogy, I would expect a bigger challenge. Everything is too linear and straightforward. But as the first game of the new development team is Tomb Raider good work. Game is more Tomb Raider than Rise or TR 2013.
What are missing in Shadow?
1. More visual connection with phenomenon icon named Lara Croft (duals, shorts, red glasses...)
2. Fully explorable Croft Manor after completing the main story.
3. If the game is based on the theme "woman vs. wilderness" I would expect more kinds of predators than is just jaguars and piranhas.
4. Day and night in Paititi. I would like to see the nightlife of this civilization. Celebrations, dancing... Everything is only in a short loop.
E.Carnby is offline   Reply With Quote