www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 01-08-19, 00:30   #1
LuckyEdge10

Default Did I miss something about Jonah?

I finished Tomb Raider 2013 recently and then played Rise of the Tomb Raider (I re-played them, I already played them many times), and I cam't help but feel extremely confused about Jonah's character.

In TR2013 he's very though, he's very strong and is very intelligent. To not talk about the fact that he went from an Asian-looking character to black, but that's another story.

In Rise he almost looks like a big teddy bear. He never used a weapon, he looks very frightened, and Trinity takes him very easily, Jonah was so stupid he made them capture him in a very stupid way.

So here's a question: is there something I missed about Jonah? Maybe something in the comics that explains this change of his characterization? Because I really hate the fact that TR developers always drastically change characters in Tomb Raider, this has to be stopped. I seriously hope the next trilogy (or, in general, the next games) will be more consistent characters-wise.

Last edited by LuckyEdge10; 01-08-19 at 00:31.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 06:25   #2
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Well, Jonah is very present in the comics and part of them show him changed by the experience in Yamatai (he even tries to kill himself) but as the story goes on, he seems to get better.

So I think that's why he may be so different in Rise, but I'm glad he is not so pacifist in Shadow anymore

I hope we'll be hearing more about Jonah and that he won't disappear now that he's engaged.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 13:19   #3
Raider8
Student

Each game in this trilogy, i've seen a new character with lara whose name is jonnah. Consistency ?! my foot. Sadly yet gladly we never got to see American Sam or Japanese Reyes in the sequels.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-19, 21:46   #4
scremanie
Tomb Raider

He honestly felt like the same person to me. Everyone that survived the island got a little bit ****ed up, though. That was the point/theme of the TReboot. It was a survival story and was meant to show how it altered those who survived, mainly Lara, but also the surviving crew. So it’s expected that his personality may be altered slightly after the events. I mean Sam went mental from Himiko, so at least Jonah is still sane?
Old 02-08-19, 00:41   #5
Rai

^ Yeah, looks aside, Jonah seemed the same to me, beyond being affected by the events on Yamatai. The comics do go some way to explain things.

As for his looks, I'll never understand why CD made the change in Rise. Thankfully EM corrected that and he looked a lot closer to his original self in Shadow.
Old 02-08-19, 05:37   #6
jhons0529
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEdge10 View Post
In TR2013 he's very though, he's very strong and is very intelligent. To not talk about the fact that he went from an Asian-looking character to black, but that's another story.

In Rise he almost looks like a big teddy bear. He never used a weapon, he looks very frightened, and Trinity takes him very easily, Jonah was so stupid he made them capture him in a very stupid way.
Experiences change people in different ways, honestly Jonah seems like one of the more logical changes to me.
I agree he seems tougher in 2013, but you could view it as him having a bit of a new perspective on life that makes him more gentle and also trying to appreciate any true happiness he experiences as much as he can.

We've also got to keep in mind, considering the circumstances in 2013 and how composed he was, its no wonder he would come off as tough.
Meanwhile afterwards, it makes sense for him to be a bit calmer, even less aware to some degree.

I feel its fairly well defined in some capacity where Lara wants to deal with trinity in Shadow but Jonah wants to stick around helping people, he probably has a whole new value on life after the initial ordeal in 2013 which could in some capacity lead to him coming off as weaker and more about preserving lives directly as soon as he gets the chance, where as for some people in this instance like Lara deal with different things or become more numb to things rather than more sentimental.

Not that she becomes completely cold or emotionless, but she can probably learn to reserve her feelings more often and hold them back.

I do genuinely think that to some degree that scene in Shadow does help show a clash in personality that could be attributed back to 2013, in which case if it was intentional its a very nice touch and also it would have worked better if Rise didn't exist either to be honest since Rise in my eyes does make all development for the timeline seem a bit peculiar.

Regardless, I still find Jonah recognizable to me but I wouldn't say he's entirely the same and its likely intentional. Shadow seems to carry the characters and their identities far better than Rise.

Last edited by jhons0529; 02-08-19 at 05:41.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 09:13   #7
killchan
Explorer

nah, it's 3 different characters.

2013: stereotypical badass big BOI
2015: overly-emotional Nice Guy™
2018: lower libido Victor Sullivan

Last edited by killchan; 02-08-19 at 09:15.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 01:14   #8
Ellioft
Professor

I like the way he look in Rise. He looks like a bear
Old 05-08-19, 09:43   #9
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

I like the way he looks in ROTTR too, but it was a bit random

I prefer his SOTTR look though. He looks amazing
Old 05-08-19, 10:52   #10
Grimaldi
Professor

Riseís plot just isnít that good, which is why Jonah exists as an excuse for a battle sequence, and prolongs it by not being able to kill Konstantin, despite being able to push a man to his death rescuing Lara earlier. Unarmed or not, he couldíve at least shot Konstantin in the knees or something.

Shadow Jonah is my favourite, both in design and contribution to the story.