www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-19, 15:09   #181
cephasjames
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
^ Aviator glasses made a comeback recently, so they are very in and fashionable.
Fair enough. Maybe it's the way they're resting on her face or something, but they feel dated.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 18:17   #182
Daft Raider
Archaeologist
 
Daft Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Can we - but maybe not in this thread - also talk about the fact that Lara somehow wasn't aware of Ana's lung cancer?

Like... It dawned on me the other day, and what a ****ing plot hole it is!
Ana in general is so out of no where and random for me, I hate her inclusion in Rise.

Her writing and dialogue is so cringy, The way she switches from speaking like a scared step mom to a cold cardboard villain is so lame and cheesy to me, I hate it. It's always baffled me as to how the general public praised Rise for it's writing and characters when they're so flat and cliché.

I so much would've rather Ana just been a sort of support system for Lara, someone on the sidelines for her, a connection to her father, I wouldn't have even minded if she had a redemption arc after Rise. But once again, her potential was wasted. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I like almost everything about this but the glasses and the hair. I love the braid, but the whole point of something like the braid is to keep hair out of your face when you're active. So to add all of that hair like it's a style defeats the purpose (and makes me wonder why on earth anyone would grow hair that long anyway only to cut a second style around the face?) It should either be an actual style or errant hairs escaping IMO.

Also . . . maybe more brows? I'm not sure. Her face is very . . . standard ingenue for me right now. That jacket IMO looks like it has no purpose other than to "look cool" which makes it suspect for me. Why did she put that on? What does it do?

But lovely work. Really. Love the muscles on the thighs, the gear, and that left hand's fingers *chef's kiss*
I wonder, do you go through this thought process when you put every piece of clothing you wear on? Not every single thing Lara wears or does has to serve a practical purpose, weather it's a jacket she wears, or her haircut, sometimes things are there for style, they're there to look cool. Character design doesn't need to be this deep.
__________________
Dual Pistols & Shorts: Far too powerful for modern day technology.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 08-11-19 at 18:23.
Daft Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 19:42   #183
tomblover
Tomb Raider
 
tomblover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 24,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Ana in general is so out of no where and random for me, I hate her inclusion in Rise.

Her writing and dialogue is so cringy, The way she switches from speaking like a scared step mom to a cold cardboard villain is so lame and cheesy to me, I hate it. It's always baffled me as to how the general public praised Rise for it's writing and characters when they're so flat and cliché.

I so much would've rather Ana just been a sort of support system for Lara, someone on the sidelines for her, a connection to her father, I wouldn't have even minded if she had a redemption arc after Rise. But once again, her potential was wasted. :\
She has a good moment, I think, after Konstantin uncuffs her and she stares at Lara down the bridge of her nose - never mind the fact that Lara's screaming her disbelief in the background, meanwhile, for the benefit of oblivious players.

That's the one instance where the jarring shift worked, I thought, but I do agree that she's poorly written otherwise - even when she's meant to be a sort of maternal figure to Lara, it's just so half-hearted...

When you see Ana and Lara in the same room, after she's literally only made a single appearance so far, you know there's a double cross about to happen. Maybe if they'd spent more time reinforcing their relationship, portraying Ana as nurturing more than chiding, then perhaps it would've come across better.
__________________
"You're like an old film reel, kissin' me when the crowd can watch."

Last edited by tomblover; 08-11-19 at 19:47.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 20:14   #184
Daft Raider
Archaeologist
 
Daft Raider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
She has a good moment, I think, after Konstantin uncuffs her and she stares at Lara down the bridge of her nose - never mind the fact that Lara's screaming her disbelief in the background, meanwhile, for the benefit of oblivious players.

That's the one instance where the jarring shift worked, I thought, but I do agree that she's poorly written otherwise - even when she's meant to be a sort of maternal figure to Lara, it's just so half-hearted...

When you see Ana and Lara in the same room, after she's literally only made a single appearance so far, you know there's a double cross about to happen. Maybe if they'd spent more time reinforcing their relationship, portraying Ana as nurturing more than chiding, then perhaps it would've come across better.
I don't mind the ~twist~ itself? I just think it was very poorly executed. I think you hit the nail on the head, Ana was in one cutscene before the "reveal" so how are we supposed to be invested or shocked when we don't even know Ana?

We definitely should've had more of a build up. If the trilogy would've actually been planned out Ana having some sort of presences, weather in a passing mention or a document during the reboot could've helped a LOT. But either way I think the reveal happened way too early in the story. Rise is pretty long, they could've at least pushed it back a little to give more time for Ana to breathe. TBH I think Konstantine shouldn't have existed. I think it should've just been Ana as the main baddie. I'm not sure how they could've worked around this, but I think it should've been a mystery as to whom was perusing Lara and in charge of all the soldiers in Siberia. With the reveal happening much later after we had some flashbacks to flesh out Ana's character.

Also using Ana's character more as Lara's maternal figure could've been a good way to explain why they were always one step ahead of Lara, other than *random no name enemy spawns inside croft manor to steal the book with all the answers* if Ana was a support system for Lara, and Lara confided in Ana and told her stuff about what she was researching that would've made so much more sense and would've cut way more deep once it was revealed. But what do I know?

Sorry for the tangent! I just see so much potential in these games!
__________________
Dual Pistols & Shorts: Far too powerful for modern day technology.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 09-11-19 at 06:38.
Daft Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:20   #185
Samz
Relic Hunter
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 5,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
I don't mind the ~twist~ itself? I just think it was very poorly executed. I think you hit the nail on the head, Ana was in one cutscene before the "reveal" so how are we supposed to be invested or shocked when we don't even know Ana?

We definitely should've had more of a build up. If the trilogy would've actually been planned out Ana having some sort of presences, weather in a passing mention or a document during the reboot could've helped a LOT. But either way I think the reveal happened way too early in the story. Rise is pretty long, they could've at least pushed it back a little to give more time for Ana to breathe. TBH I think Konstantine shouldn't have existed. I think it should've just been Ana as the main baddie. I'm not sure how they could've worked around this, but I think it should've been a mystery as to whom was perusing Lara and in charge of all the soldiers in Siberia. With the reveal happening much later after we had some flashbacks to flesh out Ana's character.

Also using Ana's character more as Lara's maternal figure could've been a good way to explain why they were always one step ahead of Lara, other than *random no name enemy spawns inside croft manor to steal the book with all the answers* if Ana was a support system for Lara, and Lara confided in Ana and told her stuff about what she was researching that would've made so much more sense and would've cut way more deep once it was revealed. But what do I know?

Sorry for the tangent! I just see so much potential in these games!
I think in my experience I was still mostly annoyed by how Lara gets captured by blatant teleporting rifle guy during that scene.

Also didn't the Croft manor dude like fall backwards, without any harness or something out of a window and somehow vanish in a second?
__________________
"What does it mean to be a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 11:38   #186
suli
Junior Member
 
suli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: on y'all's minds
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post

Also didn't the Croft manor dude like fall backwards, without any harness or something out of a window and somehow vanish in a second?
yeah oh tell me about it. those reboot games.

in every other video game or action film they always explain how and where does the bad guys disappear. first the boobs now this.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 13:50   #187
TrustyBow
Professor
 
TrustyBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Also didn't the Croft manor dude like fall backwards, without any harness or something out of a window and somehow vanish in a second?
That almost literally happens in every action movie.
__________________
TRF: "Classics good. Reboot bad."
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 15:04   #188
suli
Junior Member
 
suli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: on y'all's minds
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
That almost literally happens in every action movie.
yeah but in reboot lara looks like a man.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 15:08   #189
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist
 
Tomb Raidering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parisian Backstreets - ‘Rue de Paititi’
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Also didn't the Croft manor dude like fall backwards, without any harness or something out of a window and somehow vanish in a second?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
That almost literally happens in every action movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
yeah but in reboot lara looks like a man.
What? Are they talking about the Trinity soldier disappearing abruptly during the cutscene or Reboot Lara’s ‘man’ly appearance?
__________________
*inhales* Welcome to my most modest dwelling! *sighs* ~ to a spambot... >.>
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 15:48   #190
XXIIXX
Student
 
XXIIXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 194
Default

This is why games don't need to be realistic.

Some things are able to work and look cool because the reasoning behind them is that "it's a video game", it doesn't need to be 100% realistic or accurate at all times, that would be boring.
__________________
Goodbye Hara. I'll miss you a lot!
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.