www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 06-01-19, 08:52   #38541
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Telma & Louise (1991) : I just love this movie everything is almost perfect about it, the screenplay, the feminist commentary, the actresses are incredible (well with Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis there's no tricks). The music is gorgeous and the emotionnal impact is still there after all this years. I think this is the kind of film who's still work today and it doesn't have aged very much it's still beautifully shot. One of my favorite for sure

Last edited by Ellioft; 06-01-19 at 08:53.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 12:12   #38542
DragonSlayer
Professor

I, Daniel Blake. Has anyone here seen this movie? If not it's definitely worth watching long story short guy has a heart attack and has to contend with government bureaucracy that says he is fit for work despite his cardiologist saying otherwise, he gets caught up in an endless circle of bureaucracy and red tape and despite him doing everything they ask/tell him to do it's not good enough for them and they tell him that he has to try harder.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 18:16   #38543
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

Season 3 of Series of Unfortunate Events! Iím going to miss this show, I was soo happy they did all of the books justice.
Old 07-01-19, 18:25   #38544
Nemo_91
Tomb Raider

Homecoming Episode 1

This seems... interesting. I bet it'll have loads of twists.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 18:27   #38545
Ellioft
Archaeologist

Season 1 and middle of the season 2 of Unreal : It's so cynical about the world of the entertainment. I love this.
Shiri Appleby who play the main character Rachel looks kinda like London Rise Lara with her ponytail, biker coat etc. ^^

Last edited by Ellioft; 08-01-19 at 18:37.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 03:14   #38546
robm_2007
Legend

The Opposite of Sex
I was certain I already wrote about thisÖ I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It has a good script (itís quite funny), and similar films often suffer from poor pacing/structure and being so formulaic and corny, but this one is done quite well all-around. The direction is unobtrusive, and Lisa Kudrow is excellent! I loved her. I also liked Christina Ricci (though her character is quite an unlikable ****head, and all the narration was a bit on the nose). Ivan Sergei was also well acted (and is one of the most beautiful men Iíve ever seen). It reminds me a lot of Election, though I much prefer this film.

Bird Box
Itís a good movie with a nice performance from Sandra Bullock, and a slew of good actors who surprised me they were all in this movie. It seems more like some Stephen King premise (just an observation). I liked it, but I really did not buy Bullock and Rhodes together. It was just random that they shacked up. Their relationship felt flat and I donít think they needed to have her romantically paired with anyone. I really donít get why everyone is talking about this. Iím guessing how Trump had Russian bots, Netflix had their own bots generating buzz and memes. Itís good, but itís not so good that FB should be flooded about it.

The Favourite
I didnít like this nearly as much I expected to. The best parts really are in the trailers. Itís a tad too long but I like that it isnít exactly predictable. People get the upper hand, then loose it, then get it back, etc. Though the three women are all ďlead.Ē Queen Anne is just the main attraction for the two women, but they seemingly all get equal importance, focus and screentime. I liked Colman the best, while Weisz and Stone are tied. Hoult was good, but not great. I vastly prefer Dogtooth and think I might have liked the good parts of The Lobster better than this filmís good parts, though both are just above average. Itís funny more in a clever, biting way, than a LOL way.

Roma
I couldnít watch it all in one sitting; I watched it in three. The third act is where it finally has something stakes-worthy happen, making it actually interesting. Itís rather menial and boring at times. I like the way itís shot. Itís not just ďblack and white is automatically artĒ but the camera work really lends itself to something nice and the black and white really assists with that. The acting is competent and because the actors are all unknown, itís great to not get distracted by them being ďactors.Ē Really helped blend them in. This seems like something that would get better on a rewatch, though I donít have any interest in doing so just yet.
Old 10-01-19, 21:03   #38547
Enigma92
Student

Saw an episode of America's Got Talent on Netflix tonight after years of not watching much talent show TV.

Is it just me? I really, really hate it whenever a contestant gets on stage and within 1-2 seconds they suddenly start blurting out their personal baggage, desperately trying to find something, just ANYTHING to say that might ever so slightly pull at people's heartstrings to up their chances of getting through. I'm not talking about genuinely poignant moments when, say, a contestant sings a song in memory of a late parent or close friend. That's perfectly fine. I mean utterly stupid attention-seeking garbage like "Oh, I'm a virgin and have never been kissed! FML!" Are you serious?! Sing your stupid song, and get outta here!
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 01:07   #38548
Rai

A Ghost Story, Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara. A slow paced, brooding film. Some scenes linger...almost too long, while others are quite poignant. I found the scenes where Casey's ghost, seen here in the traditional yet stereotypical white sheet with two holes for eyes, sees another ghost with which he briefly communicates as really quite touching. The ghost manages to never be comical despite the appearance as time and life (past and future) passes him by while he's attached to the house he lived in with his wife.

I did enjoy it, but it was slow at times and frankly, I'm glad it was no longer than an hour and a half long.

Edit: I, Tonya, Margot Robbie. I've been meaning to watch this for a while now. I enjoyed it. Margot was fabulous in this gritty true life story of Tonya Harding, figure skater. It's supposed to have humour in it, but I didn't see it. Also, what it lacked, but was integral to the plot, was the rivalry between Tonya and fellow skater Nancy Kerrigan. It was mentioned, but honestly I think the film should have shown it a bit more, if the rivalry was even real or exaggerated, it's hard to tell.

Last edited by Rai; 13-01-19 at 01:24.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 10:51   #38549
Nemo_91
Tomb Raider

Homecoming Season 1

I thought it was incredible. The atmosphere was so unnerving and creepy. Reminded me of David Lynch and Hitchcock. Definitely recommended if you like twisty thrillers.

Last edited by Nemo_91; 13-01-19 at 10:52.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-19, 20:27   #38550
DOPE
Relic Hunter

Blade Runner 2049

Hell, I hate myself for not watching this in a theater when it released. I still can't quite explain how Villanueve managed it but he was able to recreate the whole magic that made the original unforgettable and then some more. It being respectful to the original aesthetics and just building from there I think it's what did it, it feels grounded unlike most Sci-Fi films that come out these days that go for a more "lots of style, little substance" philosophy (Prometheus comes to mind, it's supposed to be set before Alien yet the technology used in it it's much more advanced). What's also fantastic it's what they did with the story; I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet (seriously do it!) but it definitely leaves you with a lot to think about. I've never watched anything else from Gosling but damn is he good. It's unfortunate it didn't do well at the box office (again I hate myself for not supporting it sooner), we need more blockbuster films that try to do more than the usual bombastic action. Hopefully the series has a future (that upcoming anime and comic aside) because 2049 proved this series has a lot to say. So having been left this impressed with 2049 I decided to check other Villanueve's work..

Arrival

Amy Adams is a brilliant actress and I thought she couldn't do better than Nocturnal Animals. Oh was I wrong! Her expressions and mannerisms say more than a thousand words could and she definitely knows her thing when it comes to choosing complex films. How refreshing to watch a film where aliens aren't seen at and approached as a threat (at least in the side we experience of the story). Again, I don't want to spoil, but I think it deserves a second watch, that plot twist should definitely shade a different light on the initial parts of the film. It left me feeling hopeful and that should say enough. I'm absolutely interested in reading the source material this is based on (I think it's a short story?). Needless to say now I'll be keeping up to date with whatever Villanueve does next, man is a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Telma & Louise (1991) : I just love this movie everything is almost perfect about it, the screenplay, the feminist commentary, the actresses are incredible (well with Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis there's no tricks). The music is gorgeous and the emotionnal impact is still there after all this years. I think this is the kind of film who's still work today and it doesn't have aged very much it's still beautifully shot. One of my favorite for sure
It's my third favorite Ridley Scott's film (after Alien and Blade Runner)

Last edited by DOPE; 13-01-19 at 20:33.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote