www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 26-01-13, 22:19   #341
AmericanAssassin
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinRaider View Post
And let's hope it continues to be. I don't think any artist should flop but I really want more genres to break the barrier a bit more instead of endless pop. But I do love No Doubt and PaS definitely deserves more sales than it got.
I'm sorry, but there's just as much meaningful pop music out there as there is indie. It's a matter of sifting through it all. I hate when people act like because a song has a guitar and not a computer generated beat, it's automatically better quality music. Side note: Pop is short for "popular." It's a genre that changes more than any other, therefore, it will always be relevant.

Last edited by AmericanAssassin; 26-01-13 at 22:21.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 22:23   #342
BinRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAssassin View Post
I'm sorry, but there's just as much meaningful pop music out there as there is indie. It's a matter of sifting through it all. I hate when people act like because a song has a guitar and not a computer generated beat, it's automatically better quality music. Side note: Pop is short for "popular." It's a genre that changes more than any other, therefore, it will always be relevant.
I'm not saying there isn't. I like a lot of pop artists, including Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. My point is that not everyone wants Pop to bombard the charts all the time. Some people want a bit of diversity.
BinRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-13, 22:24   #343
AmericanAssassin
Legend

Quote:
I'm not saying there isn't. I like a lot of pop artists, including Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. My point is that not everyone wants Pop to bombard the charts all the time. Some people want a bit of diversity.
I'm all for diversity, but indie fanbases are the snobbiest of them all. I don't want them to have sales to back up their delusional mindsets.
Old 26-01-13, 22:31   #344
BinRaider
Professor

Quote:
I'm all for diversity, but indie fanbases are the snobbiest of them all. I don't want them to have sales to back up their delusional mindsets.
I completely get that. A lot of Marina & the Diamonds and Florence + the Machine fans got a lot of unneeded hate for 'selling out' and getting a more poppy sound in their second albums. I know I wasn't too happy for it either. But I guess the reason why Indie fans can be seen as snobby isn't because they strive to be 'going against the norm' like a lot of people think, but it's just a sort of prejudice that Pop dominates the charts all the time and it does get a bit annoying that their favourite artists do try and get a more poppy sound and lose their individuality just to keep in the business which is quite upsetting.

Last edited by BinRaider; 26-01-13 at 22:32.
Old 26-01-13, 22:40   #345
AmericanAssassin
Legend

Quote:
I completely get that. A lot of Marina & the Diamonds and Florence + the Machine fans got a lot of unneeded hate for 'selling out' and getting a more poppy sound in their second albums. I know I wasn't too happy for it either. But I guess the reason why Indie fans can be seen as snobby isn't because they strive to be 'going against the norm' like a lot of people think, but it's just a sort of prejudice that Pop dominates the charts all the time and it does get a bit annoying that their favourite artists do try and get a more poppy sound and lose their individuality just to keep in the business which is quite upsetting.
The problem is that the indie crowd doesn't like any change at all. They want every album to sound exactly the same. As soon as one little aspect of the music changes, they start screaming "sell out" when, in fact, it's just what the artist wants to do.
Old 26-01-13, 22:50   #346
BinRaider
Professor

Quote:
The problem is that the indie crowd doesn't like any change at all. They want every album to sound exactly the same. As soon as one little aspect of the music changes, they start screaming "sell out" when, in fact, it's just what the artist wants to do.
No but Marina and Florence, as examples, quite drastically changed their vibe from an indie perspective. Indie fans are a lot more into the feel of the music and lyrics, in general, as opposed to pop fans who love a good melody and lyrics are usually less deep (but not without meaning) and are a lot more loyal to the actual musician. So when those two change, Indie fans just lose interest because it's something that they don't enjoy listening to. I don't think it's something that Pop fans get because most Pop artists have to constantly change their style to keep with the times and Pop fans move along with those times whereas Indie fans usually stick with their original interests more.
Old 27-01-13, 04:41   #347
GarbageDarklin
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
Wait for 2013 - I'm sure they'll produce a smash-hit...according to their tweets they are back in the studio, so I'm positive

I still don't really get, how PaS became the disaster it is. The album is really good imo and they promoted it a lot actually (they even performed @ Jay Lewno, when OBAMA was a guest) yet noone really cared.

Yeah I do hope that they will become major again, they are working with Shellback, and a hip hop producer. To be honest, this IS giving me hope that they will be famous again, but I don't like how they are going so pop. Pop is ok, it's good but I miss there rock music. I know they were considered a pop band in the 90's we all know it but there was always a rock side of them. Undone is my favourite song off the album.
GarbageDarklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-13, 08:08   #348
Soul
Gold Contributor

I haven't heard of Shellback before, but I think it will help them to get "back", just as it would have helped them to release "Push and Shove" as a single, which is not only a fan-favourite (I'd even call it my all-time-favourite) but also could have benefited from Diplo.

I really hope they won't just move on to the next era and pretend PaS did never happen, as this album just doesn't derserve such treatment. Didn't they say "Undone" was the new "Don't Speak"? Why isn't it performed on concerts then? D:
Old 26-12-18, 19:08   #349
noonbob
Professor

This SONG!

The Album is incredibly underrated, such a shame it flopped.
Looking Hot is another fav, still sad the original video got taken down.
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:03   #350
ActuallyArlow
Explorer

Oh yaaas, a ND thread. They were my fave band/obsession in High school along with Gwens solo material. I'm always listen in to this song