www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 04-12-18, 15:34   #31
KurtisLonely
Professor

Definitely want to keep it rated M.. I actually believe there weren't enough swears in SOTR (or they were too weak).. I mean, if you'd get shot, would you just say "oh poop"? I personally would spill the F word all around.. lol

But then again, I swear like a sailor in real life as well..
Old 04-12-18, 15:42   #32
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtisLonely View Post
Definitely want to keep it rated M.. I actually believe there weren't enough swears in SOTR (or they were too weak).. I mean, if you'd get shot, would you just say "oh poop"? I personally would spill the F word all around.. lol

But then again, I swear like a sailor in real life as well..
She can swear. Faith in Mirror's Edge said "sh**" or even Lara in TR Legend said "damn". I have no problem with cursing if it's cut to a minimum of like 10. The rest of the goriness and disturbing death scenes are just unnecessary. It's clear that the game is getting more light-hearted and Lara is taking herself less seriously. If you throw those death scenes and the overload of violence, it's going to look comical and won't be taken serious as a story driven game.
Old 04-12-18, 16:07   #33
KurtisLonely
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
She can swear. Faith in Mirror's Edge said "sh**" or even Lara in TR Legend said "damn". I have no problem with cursing if it's cut to a minimum of like 10. The rest of the goriness and disturbing death scenes are just unnecessary. It's clear that the game is getting more light-hearted and Lara is taking herself less seriously. If you throw those death scenes and the overload of violence, it's going to look comical and won't be taken serious as a story driven game.
I don't have any issue with goriness and the death scenes... I actually LOVE it. Way better than having no blood, and those fade-out death scenes..

As for the swearing.. I don't think an "oh sh**" does justice to extremely dangerous situations, but like I said before, I personally swear like a sailor.. lol. I'd drop the f bomb alot.

I'd rather see lara become more self secure, less need of relationships etc. but that's off topic.
Old 04-12-18, 16:14   #34
Mikky
Legend

If it wasn't for the gruesome death scenes, Shadow could have easily passed for a T rated game (even Rise could have), so it's not like there are any real benefits to the game. I've always believed the M rating is just a marketing gimmick; ironically, an M rated game is more appealing to children and teenagers than a T rated one, and I think it's obvious why.

They could go for a T rated game in the future but they're probably not going to and I'm fine with that, as long as they fully commit to an M rating next time and don't censor basic things such as blood (not sure what happened there).
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 19:37   #35
TrustyBow
Archaeologist

Nah.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 11:22   #36
Xopax
Archaeologist

A M rating for a Tomb Raider game is hella forced imo, it's almost as if they were shouting out "HEY KIDS, BUY THIS GAME, ITS FOR ADULTS AND COOL"
Honestly, M rating is only fitting for games who deal with drugs, sex and real crimes.

Last edited by Xopax; 05-12-18 at 11:26.
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 15:51   #37
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

With swearing it depends how much and what exactly she says. I'm fine with the occasional "bloody hell", "bollocks", other very British-isms or even the occasional s-word. My issue right now is that she swears like a delinquent teenager, and like an American one at that. She's not far off Ellie from The Last of Us in how she swears. It does feel forced and overdone.

Also swear words have more impact when they are not over-used. It's not shocking or impactful when you hear the s-word every 30 seconds. I know from my Mom, who almost never swears, but when she does swear you know something has really pissed her off haha.

I'm fine with the violence and soft-horror themes. In fact it's been a part of TR's identity since the classics and it's only the LAU era that really toned that down. Now like I've said before, I don't want to see Lara or anyone else getting absolutely ripped up with death scenes that look inspired by Saw, that's too much. However some blood and slightly-brutal deaths (especially done in a funny way), and atmospheric horror is actually something I really want and I don't hate the Reboot's approach to that. Shadow had some funny brutal death animations that I really liked a lot.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 05-12-18 at 15:56.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-18, 17:27   #38
AimlessThunder
Professor

Keep it M. I also love the cursing!
Old 06-12-18, 14:17   #39
jackraider
Archaeologist

I don't care about the rating. But I thought LAU was really tame compared to the Core games in terms of violence, impact, and realism. Example, in TR 1996 you really almost felt that impact when Lara was impaled on spikes. The heaviness of the controls and sfx helped provide that unpleasant sensation. It urged the player to get it right the next go.

Last edited by jackraider; 06-12-18 at 14:19.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 17:22   #40
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xopax View Post
A M rating for a Tomb Raider game is hella forced imo, it's almost as if they were shouting out "HEY KIDS, BUY THIS GAME, ITS FOR ADULTS AND COOL"
Honestly, M rating is only fitting for games who deal with drugs, sex and real crimes.
Yes lol I feel like they're trying too hard to make people like her. She doesn't need that. It's hella lame to make her all super tom-boyish and the unecessary mature tone.