www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 31-08-20, 11:03   #21
indigo1993
Student

I remember when this game came out for PS2/Wii, they had promised the graphics would be better/as good as God of War 2's... What a joke. In the jungle levels they have literal wall textures of foliage like on TRIII India, and Lara looks like she was made on the Sims 2. That game was my first time experiencing the pain of being too poor to own a next gen console, and there's no amount of love or nostalgia that should justify how terrible the PS2 port is.
Old 03-09-20, 03:06   #22
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
Just a few minutes ago I ordered myself one of the most exquisite Raider games on eBay just so I could finally add it to my PS2 collection. Iíve played both the PC and Ps3 versions and enjoyed them both, now what am I in for when I play such a masterpiece a third time?

Seriously though, is it a good port as long as I remember it was for last gen hardware?
I bought mine from Amazon and it's clean brand new!! And I like the level design to it and everything in it as well.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 15:54   #23
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
I remember when this game came out for PS2/Wii, they had promised the graphics would be better/as good as God of War 2's... What a joke. In the jungle levels they have literal wall textures of foliage like on TRIII India, and Lara looks like she was made on the Sims 2. That game was my first time experiencing the pain of being too poor to own a next gen console, and there's no amount of love or nostalgia that should justify how terrible the PS2 port is.
The PS2, WII models were detailed, but the hardware was too weak:

Look here:

And here:

https://goons.artstation.com/projects/XgvbL

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 03-09-20 at 15:56.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 21:33   #24
Bridge
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
I bought mine from Amazon and it's clean brand new!! And I like the level design to it and everything in it as well.
Thatís very cool to hear! Youíre incredibly lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
The PS2, WII models were detailed, but the hardware was too weak
The models look weird now that Iím used to the more washed out color palate on my PS2, but very nice. It mustíve been a shame for the animators when they had to downgrade it.
Old 05-09-20, 07:24   #25
Bridge
Historian

I just wanted to let y’all know I finished Underworld tonight, My phone camera stopped acting up just enough to take okay pictures.

WARNING: SPOILERS
(Yes, I do this. even for 12 year old games)

First off I want to say I still hate Jan Mayen Island. That level can go freeze in Helheim for all I care.

So I started off the second boat sequence and noticed an awful greenish tinge coming off of Amanda and the Doppelganger as if they were zombies. I wanted to take a picture of it but my phone camera would not stop shaking on it’s own (which it tends to do often nowadays). I took a quick note of it and made sure to check again when they reappeared in the Arctic Sea level.

Now, speaking of the Arctic Sea level, it felt so similar yet so different to a me, a PC player. As far as I could recall, the level design was the same, yet the clunkiness of porting it to a 9 year old system made all my movements feel alien.

It was around here that I finally started to notice the character models were starting to screw up during cutscenes as both Amanda and the Doppelganger started to look like plague victims, with the Doppelganger looking like she had her skin painted for St Patty’s Day at one point

The image doesn’t necessarily do it justice, but it’s something you gotta actually play to see and believe for yourself.

The “final boss” goes on as usual but felt oddly easier than I remembered on the PC version. I wanna say it only took me about 10-15 minutes to figure out the new layout and mechanics of the PS2 version’s map and beat it. Natla doesn’t attack while you’re climbing ledges anymore but will do so at some inconvenient spots where you need to make Lara (who is a grain of sand on the screen thanks to the weird fixed camera angle.

In the outro cutscene after Lara and Amanda have gone through the portal, I noticed something strange in the cutscene. It looked oddly detailed yet incredibly compressed. I soon realized it was, in fact, actually a PC/PS3 cutscene heavily compressed for last gen hardware. Strange how this couldn’t happen throughout the entire game. Oh well.

Now besides from the weird graphics absolutely wetting the bed at towards the end, what are my thoughts on this game?

Well it’s no different to the other versions as far as the enjoyment factor goes. All levels are fun EXCEPT for Norway.

I thought it was okay, it hit the job done. I wanted to play Underworld from the comfort of my bed, and I was able to do that. The mindlessness of some levels made exploration all the more fun. I’d say it’s comparable to Half Life Source in the sense that it can be a pretty fun but sometimes buggy experience and also the sense that it’s a far inferior port of the original.

TLDR: I played through PS2 Underworld and managed to like it

EDIT: Image resolution is far too large for me to post as an attachment so I’ll be sending an imgur album link where you can see all the (shoddy) gameplay Photos: https://imgur.com/a/u3dQUly

Last edited by Bridge; 05-09-20 at 07:30. Reason: Replaced attachments with link
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 20:34   #26
BlueCake
Historian

All the cutscenes are pre-recorded using the Wii hardware. I don't know what you mean by the characters looking weird in cutscenes.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 20:58   #27
Bridge
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
All the cutscenes are pre-recorded using the Wii hardware. I don't know what you mean by the characters looking weird in cutscenes.
Amanda and The Doppelganger looked discolored and like zombies for someone like me who grew up with the PC version. Thatís the best way I can explain it.
Old 06-09-20, 23:59   #28
indigo1993
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
The PS2, WII models were detailed, but the hardware was too weak:

Look here:

And here:

https://goons.artstation.com/projects/XgvbL
Im sorry but that's an excuse that just doesn't fly. TRU is a 2008 game, when developers knew how to make the best out of the PS2 hardware. That gave us games such as Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3, God of war I and II, Bully, the Godfather, etc.
TRU looks worse than TRL and TRA. There's nothing that can justify a downgrade of the game's own trilogy in absolutely every sense (lack of enemies, areas cut out, the bad image quality that made it all look totally washed out, etc). That port is an abomination that should never have existed, and I'm saying that as someone who actually really likes playing TRU (on the PC)

Last edited by indigo1993; 07-09-20 at 00:03.
indigo1993 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 03:42   #29
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
Im sorry but that's an excuse that just doesn't fly. TRU is a 2008 game, when developers knew how to make the best out of the PS2 hardware. That gave us games such as Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3, God of war I and II, Bully, the Godfather, etc.
TRU looks worse than TRL and TRA. There's nothing that can justify a downgrade of the game's own trilogy in absolutely every sense (lack of enemies, areas cut out, the bad image quality that made it all look totally washed out, etc). That port is an abomination that should never have existed, and I'm saying that as someone who actually really likes playing TRU (on the PC)
i absolutely love how all your posts here are about how triggered and unhappy you were regarding this game xD
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 14:11   #30
indigo1993
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
i absolutely love how all your posts here are about how triggered and unhappy you were regarding this game xD
I also talk about my love of TRII, TRIV and Shadow xD
Like I said at the end of my previous post, I actually love TRU and my only real issue with it is how there are no boss fights (I see the kraken more as a puzzle than a boss).
Hell, I even defend TRU's camera that everyone seems to have an issue about. I love how Lara moves in this game and how colorful it is. But it's soul crushing when you had been hyped for months with all the footage of the actual game on the Xbox 360 and suddenly the game you get has wallpaper forest textures in Mexico, like we're back in TRIII or something. Legend was such a step up in the franchise (even though it's a very short game). It looked gorgeous on my TV and it was vibrant. Anniversary looked very pretty too. But then underworld came and just did the trilogy dirty (on the PS2, I mean). The hardware could have handled a more decent and fully fledged version of Tomb Raider Underworld. The PS2 is not as incompetent as this port made it look

Last edited by indigo1993; 07-09-20 at 14:14.
indigo1993 is online now   Reply With Quote