www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-06-19, 22:55   #1
Reggie
Tomb Raider
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Visa Versace
Posts: 22,037
Default Animating textures on objects

I'm wondering if its possible to animate textures on objects besides waterfalls?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 23:23   #2
Kapu
Professor
 
Kapu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 3,306
Default

PixStr can do it. You can download it here. I've never used it myself, and it's pretty old, so expect a bit of clunkiness.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 23:28   #3
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist
 
disapearing-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Čire
Posts: 2,263
Default

I once used a tool to put animating (Level) textures from the TGA onto the horizon object - it worked but the level later got corrupted and would crash. I was just testing to see if it were possible. I wanted a heat-haze on my horizon!

Scrolling textures like waterfalls are possible on animating slots with one limitation - the same textures must be used on a waterfall slot too, then the engine will scroll that texture on animating slots as well.

Another trick Core used is to have an object (like a monitor screen for example) with several one-sided meshes. By rotating each face 180 degrees at a time, only one face is visible for a few frames, then the next one ect..

Each face is textured with one frame of an animated texture.
__________________
"Never sigh for a better world, it's already composed, played and told..."
disapearing-boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 10:48   #4
Reggie
Tomb Raider
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Visa Versace
Posts: 22,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
PixStr can do it. You can download it here. I've never used it myself, and it's pretty old, so expect a bit of clunkiness.
That would be great but it looks like Pixstr is incompatible with TRNG levels? Thanks though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
I once used a tool to put animating (Level) textures from the TGA onto the horizon object - it worked but the level later got corrupted and would crash. I was just testing to see if it were possible. I wanted a heat-haze on my horizon!

Scrolling textures like waterfalls are possible on animating slots with one limitation - the same textures must be used on a waterfall slot too, then the engine will scroll that texture on animating slots as well.

Another trick Core used is to have an object (like a monitor screen for example) with several one-sided meshes. By rotating each face 180 degrees at a time, only one face is visible for a few frames, then the next one ect..

Each face is textured with one frame of an animated texture.
Yeah, it's not a scrolling animation I require. Just a basic fade in/fade out for light ray objects.

Similar to this animation I have for a wall texture.

Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 10:55   #5
LoreRaider
Archaeologist
 
LoreRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 1,089
Default

For a better effect, couldn't you use an amber_light object near that texture, so to simulate the same effect? You can even modify the colour and the intensity of the pulse
__________________
"Everybody lies, no exceptions."
LoreRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 10:57   #6
JMN
Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 439
Default

Are you using Tomb Editor? Then you can also use imported geometry. If you use the same texture file for the object as in the map then it should animate.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 11:09   #7
Reggie
Tomb Raider
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Visa Versace
Posts: 22,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoreRaider View Post
For a better effect, couldn't you use an amber_light object near that texture, so to simulate the same effect? You can even modify the colour and the intensity of the pulse
That gif I posted isn't for an object though, its just to go on a wall, I will consider using an amber light to enhance though if I can change the intensity or size. Do you do so using scripting?

This example is probably a better one.



It would be cool to apply this to each face of a light ray object so it doesn't look so 'static'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
Are you using Tomb Editor? Then you can also use imported geometry. If you use the same texture file for the object as in the map then it should animate.
I am. How do you use a particular texture file for the object? You don't mean apply it to the object in strpix do you? I can't see an option for assigning textures when using import geometry.

Last edited by Reggie; 15-06-19 at 11:11.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 13:22   #8
JMN
Historian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I am. How do you use a particular texture file for the object? You don't mean apply it to the object in strpix do you? I can't see an option for assigning textures when using import geometry.
Not in StrPix, but in your chosen 3D editor. You apply the same texture file used in the map and use the same region of the texture used for the animation range.

Here's an example (using Blender ):

In Tomb Editor, the animation range has been split to a separate file to make things easier:


In Blender, the same texture file has been applied and the object sides UV mapped to a tile within 256x256 from the origin (complete texture is 256x512 and each tile 128x128):


The object is exported to OBJ and imported into the map:


Result in-game:


One problem with this method is that different blending modes for transparency are not supported, so it won't look good for light rays. But for opaque objects it could work.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 13:47   #9
Reggie
Tomb Raider
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Visa Versace
Posts: 22,037
Default

Very helpful! Thank you.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-19, 14:06   #10
Kapu
Professor
 
Kapu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 3,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
That would be great but it looks like Pixstr is incompatible with TRNG levels? Thanks though.
Oh shoot. Yeah, it's a lot older than TRNG, should have know it wouldn't be compatible. :/

@JMN: Hey, you should make a new thread out of that post in the Tutorials section! Very useful, thank you!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.