www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 15-12-18, 04:22   #29441
trfan16
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
One of my biggest gripe, outside intense backtrackings, is how unnatural the item management is this time around.

CV is actually the first game in the franchise where two characters share the same item box AND force you into one character or the other. Which means that unless you know exactly what's to come, you can easily be screwed. That would be like expecting players to guess they will play as Carlos in RE3 and if you didn't put this specific weapon or these ammos in the box before the Nemesis battle, well too bad.

By the time I started Chris I had the most powerful weapons on Claire, including the bow gun because of Nosferatu... Which is funny because I kept looting quivers every now and then afterward, like salt on wounds.

And then you're back into Claire for 10 minutes, then again as Chris... Until the end.

And that's not counting the metal box for the metal detector. Like I said, my +10 hours playthrough won't have access to the Magnum because some genius at Capcom thought it was a good move to ask the player to care about that one single item (fire extinguisher) only used once at the very beginning and never again.

Or that moth hallway in Antarctic you have to go through a dozens of time?

Anyway, this turned out to be forgivable thanks to the infinite herb glitch and and my good (though vague) memories of sequence of events, which allowed me to prepare more than any new players could. It made everything a bit more bearable, more than the first time I got my hands on the game.

CV is also guilty of transforming the horror aspect of the franchise into some kind of anime parody. It introduced Super Wesker and, err... That intense intro movie where Claire avoid guns and helicopter gunshots?... To this day I still don't understand how Claire got herself into that (which is funny because she's once again kidnapped years later in Rev2).

It's a shame because beside these issues, there is a small gem nevertheless. CV has the best antagonists, Alfred having a split personality was quite twisted and great. The music is amazing and memorable, we all remember the lullaby, or the movie with the firefly and the ants... Definitely a game that left a mark.
It's been years since I've played CV, but at the time it was my least favorite Classic RE game. Now that honor goes to Zero. I totally forgot about the item box sharing in this game. It feels kind of pointless considering once you take control of Chris, you don't really go back to playing Claire until you reach Antarctica. And that Claire segment is very brief too. Plus, there's a locked briefcase that Chris picks up on Rockfort Island that can be only opened by Claire's lockpick. But you have to remember to open the briefcase when you take control of Claire on Rockfort Island. (If I'm remembering this correctly).

It seems that fans have mixed feelings about the Ashfords. I didn't really mind them as villains. The Ashford Manor on Rockfort was definitely the creepiest part of the game too. And I like the replicated Spencer Mansion in Antarctica too, even if it was just a few rooms. The only downside to CV is Steve Burnside.

All jokes aside, I always wanted to go back and replay this game. I have CVX hiding somewhere in my new apartment, and I should try and dig it out. I still need something to hold me over until RE2 comes out.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 04:34   #29442
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Oh you're right, that briefcase! I almost forgot about it. I had to run back to the item box as Claire right before the Steve boss encounter since I had a sudden realization... Only to find inside freakin' magnum ammos, aka the weapon I'm locked out of

And yes, Steve is definitely a cringeworthy character. He didn't annoy me at first when I played the game years ago but now... ugh I can't stand his voice. Claire is too nice and too good for him lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
All jokes aside, I always wanted to go back and replay this game. I have CVX hiding somewhere in my new apartment, and I should try and dig it out. I still need something to hold me over until RE2 comes out.
I got myself the game on my PS4. To my surprise, it's actually an emulated PS2 version, with the whole "checking memory cards" things. Yes, the game emulate two memory cards, which give me 30 save slots lol.

While part of me is glad it's the original format, I'm annoyed I can't skip door animations, the resolution is incredibly low (it's a small frame surrounded by black on my TV), the image is way too dark (even when I boost luminosity) and for some reason there is this weird... motion blur all over the place?

It's also a good thing I'm Canadian because apparently the European version is actually the original PAL one, at 50 Hz, so 17% slower than the American one.

Still beat having to change the DVD between different parts of the story.

Last edited by Isaac; 15-12-18 at 04:35.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-18, 04:47   #29443
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Code Veronica is also backtracking mess if you want the best ending.

You start at the very bottom do the island, then go to the very top, go back to the very bottom, and back you he very top, only to go back to the bottom again, only for you to go to an entirely different continent.

Then, you start the game all over as Chris. Go through the island again, and go BACK to Antarctica.

This makes it easy to mess up because unless you’ve played the game before, you will hit TONS of points of no return which gate quite a few weapons from you later.
Old 15-12-18, 23:27   #29444
rewak
Professor

Veronica was a bit dull to play thanks to all the backtracking of areas and retreading you do as Chris, but it's way up there for me as one of my favourites thanks to the story and Alfred/Alexia. Their backstory was amazing and they both made really interesting foes. I just wish Capcom had done right by it this era, they ported pretty much everything HD to PS4 and Xbox except this. They had the HD version but just threw up a PS2 emulated version, I don't get why. Maybe the original HD edition didn't sell well? At the very least they could make the Xbox version backwards compatible.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:53   #29445
Isaac
Relic Hunter

^ Let's not forget that CV was never ported on PCs, just like Outbreak #1 and #2. I can understand the latter, since it would require server infrastructures and various tweaks, especially for offline play, but they have no reason for CD outside just not caring enough (and the market not being there).

That makes three titles PC players never got a change to play.

Last edited by Isaac; Yesterday at 00:55.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28   #29446
KylieDog
Archaeologist

There was a lot of bad things about CV.

- While character models improved (the faces anyway) the loss of detail on everything else made it look worse than the PS1 games, especially RE3 with extremely detailed environments. It's got even worse with time.

- Lots of fogging used to hide larger areas, making the game very dull (the HD remaster ditched this).

- Weapon balancing was very poor, you spend most of the game using the pistol or bowgun because are extreme amounts of ammo for each, but other weapons have barely any ammo, Magnum gets like 18 bullets entire game. Shotgun is extremely weak too making it a dud weapon.

- No damage to enemies anymore, no shooting off arms, head, blowing them up etc.

- Lots of features gone backwards from RE3, no gunpowder crafting, reduce movement abilities (like cannot manually walk on stairs), no puzzle randomisation etc etc.

- First game to only feature a single campaign with no branching paths or alt scenarios.

- Crap unlocks/replay value. Battle mode sucked and the only unlockable was the rocket launcher.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:23   #29447
rewak
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
^ Let's not forget that CV was never ported on PCs, just like Outbreak #1 and #2. I can understand the latter, since it would require server infrastructures and various tweaks, especially for offline play, but they have no reason for CD outside just not caring enough (and the market not being there).

That makes three titles PC players never got a change to play.
For Outbreak I can see why, that used it's own engine so they would have to either port that engine or port the game to a new engine. But CVX-HD was rebuilt in MT, the same engine Origins HD/5/6/Rev 1 + 2 used. The big part is done, they just needed to optimize it for the current consoles/pc and they could have rereleased it along with everything else. It's the black sheep of the mainline games.
rewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58   #29448
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
There was a lot of bad things about CV.

- While character models improved (the faces anyway) the loss of detail on everything else made it look worse than the PS1 games, especially RE3 with extremely detailed environments. It's got even worse with time.

- Lots of fogging used to hide larger areas, making the game very dull (the HD remaster ditched this).

- Weapon balancing was very poor, you spend most of the game using the pistol or bowgun because are extreme amounts of ammo for each, but other weapons have barely any ammo, Magnum gets like 18 bullets entire game. Shotgun is extremely weak too making it a dud weapon.

- No damage to enemies anymore, no shooting off arms, head, blowing them up etc.

- Lots of features gone backwards from RE3, no gunpowder crafting, reduce movement abilities (like cannot manually walk on stairs), no puzzle randomisation etc etc.

- First game to only feature a single campaign with no branching paths or alt scenarios.

- Crap unlocks/replay value. Battle mode sucked and the only unlockable was the rocket launcher.

I wouldn’t say that your list makes the game bad though. The good of this game outweighs the bad

But the thing which i kind of don’t get is they removed stuff introduced in RE3..

Weapon balancing is true but once you get Claire’s enhanced Handgun thing.. expect pistol ammo to 0 quickly lol if you have hundreds of handgun ammo so it’s not bad

It annoyed me of the lack of explosive powder for the crossbow.. and you can only do 10 each lol.
Old Today, 04:42   #29449
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Code Veronica X is a masterpiece, and the best RE game at that.

Maybe I love black sheeps, but its colourful cast, twisted plot, siblings symmetry, backtracking and planning, and boss fights make it the loveliest RE game ever done.

Also, it has Claire at her best, babysitting an adult and failing miserably. As usual. It's Claire.