www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 29-11-21, 14:39   #31
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stohrendorf View Post
Beta 7.1 is out, containing the fixes for the reported bugs here and on GitHub: https://github.com/stohrendorf/Ediso...s/tag/beta-7.1
Thanks for the update! The flickering textures are resolved now (yay)!
I've already create a new bug report concerning traversal - but this one seems to be a bug in the original game code as well, so I'm not sure if it even should be fixed (although it's probably annoying when it happens)
Old 29-11-21, 16:35   #32
stohrendorf
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I've already create a new bug report concerning traversal - but this one seems to be a bug in the original game code as well, so I'm not sure if it even should be fixed (although it's probably annoying when it happens)
Not exactly sure what happens there, but it could (just a theory) break wall cracks shimmying, e.g. the secret above the waterfall in lost valley could become unreachable if I fix this, but we'll see.
stohrendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 17:27   #33
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Not exactly sure what happens there, but it could (just a theory) break wall cracks shimmying, e.g. the secret above the waterfall in lost valley could become unreachable if I fix this, but we'll see.
I actually thought about this as well, when reporting it.
Crack shimmying to me feels like an engine flaw abused by the level designers rather than something that should work based on the engine's design parameters.
If fixing this causes issues, I opt for leaving it the way it is. It's been that way for 25 years, who am I to complain 🤣
Old 30-11-21, 16:19   #34
stohrendorf
Student

It's a flaw with the level data and the handling of bridges. In this case, the engine is instructed to calculate collisions for both bridge parts, the flat one and the sloped one. The sloped one does its height calculations assuming a) the bridge spans only one sector in each direction, and b) the position it should calculate its floor or ceiling height for is a valid position on the bridge. The "optimized" math does a simple modulo operation on the coordinates, resulting either in an infinite plane in case of the flat bridge, or a jagged height/ceiling line in case of the sloped one. If you happen to hang on a seam like in this case, the front left is compared to the right part of the sloped bridge (because of the infinite jigsaw height line), which lets the engine determine that there's not enough space to climb on.

Took me a while to find the root cause, but it can be fixed without damage unless one intentionally abused this bug.
Old 30-11-21, 17:59   #35
ANoDE
Golden

That's great news! Thanks for looking into it

Quote:
* Sometimes, when traversing through L-Shaped rooms, the camera will not correctly follow Lara. Instead, it will show the outer edge of the block behind Lara. This may be original engine behaviour, or it may be introduced due to the use of a widescreen resolution. In any case it's rather annoying since in this case it is virtually impossible to navigate Lara, as you can't see her. Moving a few steps forward / to the side usually makes the camera re-focus on Lara again.
Quote:
It'd be nice to have a screenshot or a short video showing the problem.
I was now finally able to get a video of this issue, btw.

Savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxs940bcor...amera.zip?dl=0

It's really no biggie, as moving Lara fixes the camera anyway, but it would still be better to be able to see where she is going - even if it's only a few steps.

EDIT: Got a different example. In this one the camera doesn't show Lara for nearly 2 blocks.

Last edited by ANoDE; 03-12-21 at 12:24.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 21:00   #36
stohrendorf
Student

Huh, that's interesting, never experienced that behaviour before except when it was a fixed camera position, which somehow looks like it is. Will investigate.
Old 04-12-21, 12:59   #37
MyRaider4Life
Tomb Raider

Thanks for the update fixing the drawbridge issue!

I have another problem now though, I can't seem to load my save from the previous version in 7.1, any workaround for this?
MyRaider4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 16:35   #38
stohrendorf
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRaider4Life View Post
Thanks for the update fixing the drawbridge issue!

I have another problem now though, I can't seem to load my save from the previous version in 7.1, any workaround for this?
Can you send me your save so I can take a look at it?
Old 05-12-21, 01:52   #39
stohrendorf
Student

Quote:
It's really no biggie, as moving Lara fixes the camera anyway, but it would still be better to be able to see where she is going - even if it's only a few steps.
Unfortunately it's camera code. Camera code has always been my super villain. I did a few debug sessions, but I didn't see anything that's easy to fix, and I'm highly afraid to touch the camera code at all after years of strange bugs and crashes. The reason it's behaving differently from the original is because I had to tweak a few things which were bugged in the original engine and caused crashes in my implementation because of added sanity guards. Unless it's a non-minor problem I'd really like to keep my fingers off from it.
Old 05-12-21, 04:38   #40
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Unfortunately it's camera code. Camera code has always been my super villain. I did a few debug sessions, but I didn't see anything that's easy to fix, and I'm highly afraid to touch the camera code at all after years of strange bugs and crashes. The reason it's behaving differently from the original is because I had to tweak a few things which were bugged in the original engine and caused crashes in my implementation because of added sanity guards. Unless it's a non-minor problem I'd really like to keep my fingers off from it.
Oh, ok
Thanks for having a look at it, though.