www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 08-05-19, 19:29   #1
redfox45
Archaeologist

Default US senator introduces bill to ban loot boxes and pay to win microtransactions.

What wonderful wonderful news. The Senate are hopefully finally starting to understand the REAL evils of video games and with any luck will swiftly put a stop to it.. Sorrynotsorry EA haha

Aimed at games played by minors which is where I imagine a HUGE slice of their moolah comes from.

https://kotaku.com/u-s-senator-intro...pay-1834612226

Last edited by redfox45; 08-05-19 at 19:30.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 19:40   #2
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I'm surprised this is now considered illegal. Good news for the country !
Old 08-05-19, 19:56   #3
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I like the idea but I hope itís not a crazy bill that outlaws all sorts of other things.
I also donít like the idea of some guy who probably has ZERO gaming experience or knowledge making calls on stuff. This idea is good, I just hope it doesnít snowball.
Old 08-05-19, 21:53   #4
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

This would be a big blow to alot of companies. I hope this passes.

It's factually all true that microtransactions are designed on the principal of capitalizing on addition. They build the product in a way in which the dopaminergic receptors within the brain don't cap the amount of dopamine that players experience when playing games riddled with microtransactions.

They build the games specifically around motivation and rewards.

Most of their profits are actually made from addicts who pay hundreds to thousands in order to win in these games.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for the industry and divert a future in which most forums of gaming are pay to win crap.
Old 08-05-19, 22:26   #5
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Idk my opinion on these things used to be contextual, in that I didn't mind if microtransactions were these as an option. By this I mean having content you have to pay for on otherwise free-to-play games, or an option to unlock things quicker on others so you don't have so much grinding to do.

That said, playing the new Mortal Kombat (which is still pretty grindy even after a patch to make it less so) I'm starting to feel differently. If you make the standard lax and contextual like that, they can abuse it by saying "here you can pay to unlock things quicker, but you don't have to" and then make the game such a painstakingly long grind that it's basically very tempting just to pay. So honestly I would rather they just ban it completely.

So yeah I welcome this if it does go through.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 08-05-19 at 22:28.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 01:21   #6
killchan
Explorer

Here's what then need to add to the ban list:

DLCs
In-game purchases
Digital Preorders
Non-standalone expansions
Old 09-05-19, 02:01   #7
tomblover
Tomb Raider

Honestly, the most they'd accomplish with this, I think, would be to force devs to implement some kind of age restriction to access these features - which would be as easily bypassed as any age restriction ever was, no doubt.

So there's really no point, IMO. Microtransactions are a ****ty practice - at least when it's pay-to-win, and not purely cosmetic or even for convenience - but they're here to stay. It's too late to claim we haven't accepted it, as a community.

They make developers (or moreso the publishers, to be fair) seemingly a lot of money, too, so they'd do everything in their power to circumvent any law that would be passed to ban them, I'm sure. With these kinds of things, you can pretty much invent loopholes, anyway...

Last edited by tomblover; 09-05-19 at 02:42.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 08:25   #8
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
Here's what then need to add to the ban list:

DLCs
In-game purchases
Digital Preorders
Non-standalone expansions
But it all depends on what the DLC is. If it's something such as extra content such as expanding on the game, then no don't ban them. It'd be no different to expansion packs back in the day except you now download them instead of buying an add-on disc.
Old 09-05-19, 08:52   #9
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
But it all depends on what the DLC is. If it's something such as extra content such as expanding on the game, then no don't ban them. It'd be no different to expansion packs back in the day except you now download them instead of buying an add-on disc.
It's to prevent potential loopholes this bill might introduce.
and also, to limit predatory practices such as cut content, paywalls, time walls and revenue-oriented game design.

If you want to put extra content in the game, you put that in the game DAY 1.
Add more modes, more unlockables, more legit reasons to make the player want to keep playing the game, and make people want to buy the game for how awesome it is.

Companies have taken advantage of digital distribution for far too long: broken games at launch, cut content, season passes... games are slowly turning into platforms for paid DLC. what the hell.

Many people still play Fortnite only because they feel it'd be a waste to leave after spending $X00 on skins.

Just because the distribution method has changed, it doesn't mean the content had to.

Last edited by killchan; 09-05-19 at 08:53.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 09:15   #10
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
It's to prevent potential loopholes this bill might introduce.
and also, to limit predatory practices such as cut content, paywalls, time walls and revenue-oriented game design.

If you want to put extra content in the game, you put that in the game DAY 1.
Add more modes, more unlockables, more legit reasons to make the player want to keep playing the game, and make people want to buy the game for how awesome it is.

Companies have taken advantage of digital distribution for far too long: broken games at launch, cut content, season passes... games are slowly turning into platforms for paid DLC. what the hell.

Many people still play Fortnite only because they feel it'd be a waste to leave after spending $X00 on skins.

Just because the distribution method has changed, it doesn't mean the content had to.
Extra content doesn't have to be there from day 1. If they want to prolong the life of a game a bit after release, then continue to add DLC in the vain of extra content that expands the game itself.

Broken games at launch is a problem and something I don't fully agree with. If the game gets delayed due to some problems then yes prolong it.

Season passes are a great idea (depending on game and content) as it provides you access to most if not all available DLC at a single price leaving you to save money.