www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 15-05-19, 06:38   #18911
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
How do you guys go about organizing a level from scratch? I feel like every time I started a project it was always so aimless. I just struggle to make anything connect. Do you guys come up with the entirety of the level right away or make it up as you go?
Heya LaraCablara, have you by any chance seen this guidebook for the early stages of TR Chronicles Russia chapters?:

https://www.tomb-of-ash.com/tomb-rai...y-design-book/

While it’s not exactly how I organize my levels, I think it has some really helpful ideas in it when it comes to designing a fun and imaginative level, or level set.

1. Have goals. What should the player get by the end of the level? Find an artifact? Solve a mystery? Defeat a boss?

2. Choose a place. Where in the world will Lara go? Start looking up pictures of the real place that inspires you, and think about how you can turn it into an engaging (and probably trap-filled) fantasy.

3. Have a few “set pieces” in mind. One of the things I love about Tomb Raider 1 in particular is that there Re really memorable rooms or specific environments that add spectacle. The bridge room in Caves, the triple gates in Vilcabamba, the long fall in St Francis Folly, the Sphinx in Khamoon . . . If you looked up some pictures of the real place you might use as inspiration, think about what “set pieces” could stand out for players to remember.

Those are the three things I try to do when dreaming up levels. I also haven’t released one in a long time, but I’m loving getting back into it with Tomb Editor.
Old 15-05-19, 09:32   #18912
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
How do you guys go about organizing a level from scratch? I feel like every time I started a project it was always so aimless. I just struggle to make anything connect. Do you guys come up with the entirety of the level right away or make it up as you go?
Pretty much like Craig Michaels said.

I do not have the entirety of the level ready in all its details once I start working on it. Some details I've thought out, others come along as I go.
This is for all aspects of a level. Gameplay, textures, rooms, objects.
All these things can still change up until the very end. No major changes, but little ones.

I usually have a couple of bigger gameplay ideas and ideas for the larger areas ready. And that's when I start looking for textures, and thinking of possible objects. Most objects in the starting wad are placeholders which I then change according to whatever pops up during building.

An example of how a level can develop in terms of gameplay. My thought process is kinda like this:
My underwater level will have enemy divers and I thought it might be nice to also have the enemy submarine from TRC. That thing isn't very fast and Lara can probably finish the whole level without being killed by it.
Not all that exciting then.

Can it be killed?
Well, yes, if you turn it into a mortal using a script you can indeed kill it. Make it explode when it is dead.

How can it be killed then?
Well, with some explosive harpoon ammo. But there are not explosive harpoons to pick up in the levels before this one. Should I place them there? No I won't. Lara can craft the explosive harpoons using regular hapoons and old Gun Powder Flasks she will find scattered on the seafloor. (came from a sunken ship I suppose so some sunken ship debris would be nice)
But as said, the submarine is slow and Lara would be able to finish the level without killing it.

So why kill it then?
Well, there's a blocked door in a cave somewhere and that blockage needs more than explosive harpoons to get rid off.

So how about sinking that enemy sub and taking a torpedo from it?
(torpedo put in puzzle-item slot and voila, Lara can pick up a torpedo).
Puzzle-hole for the torpedo at the blockage.
Cutscene for the sinking enemy sub needs to be made. Like have it drive off when it is nearly dead and have it sink to the bottom at another spot in open waters. Mister "head of bad guys" gets out if it.
Lara can go to the stranded sub and find the torpedo.

But a torpedo needs to be armed before it can explode, right?
So also put a emote arming device near the stranded sub. Do not combine these item! Lara needs to place the torpedo and arm it from a safe distance!

Something like that.
A game of questions and answers.

When it comes to the looks of things, well, that mostly develops as I go.
Running around in the levels, looking at every corner and thinking about what might look good.
Unless ofcourse the gameplay requires a certain layout of the room/area. Then I also have to follow the rules of the gameplay.
Old 16-05-19, 00:26   #18913
LaraCablara
Professor

Thank you both for the advice Maybe it would help me to also replay the classic games to remember what the sort of tools and objects I am even working with as its been so long. If I were building an underwater level I don't even know if I would remember that Chronicles had those types of baddies.

In terms of set pieces, that is exactly how I organized my first level. I was able to come up with so many that it was all a matter of stringing them together at the end. I guess these days I need to work harder to come up with them
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 14:55   #18914
PhryneCroft
Hobbyist

Hi Guys!
I have a question. I'm looking for an eagle object that flies in the sky and does not attack Lara. Does any of you have such an object? (Did not find anything on laraslevelbase and trsearch.)
Old 18-05-19, 08:59   #18915
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Has anyone tried running the trle from within a VM? Fun the fun of it, I have windows 2000 installed in a virtual machine. It works fine, until you start adding bulbs to the level. Then all sorts of bugs start. Odd considering that the trle was designed for 2000??

Last edited by moodydog; 18-05-19 at 10:15.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 12:11   #18916
Titak

The level editor is older. It was developed before Win2000 was released, wasn't it?
All they did before releasing it was change it a bit here and there.
Old 18-05-19, 19:08   #18917
Ranpyon
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhryneCroft View Post
Hi Guys!
I have a question. I'm looking for an eagle object that flies in the sky and does not attack Lara. Does any of you have such an object? (Did not find anything on laraslevelbase and trsearch.)
Same here!
Ranpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 20:52   #18918
Ruu11
Explorer

^ You can try to play with the ACTION trigger option (Turn <#>ANIMATING moving endless in (E) way)
aplied to an ANIMATION slot in where you put your eagle like some kind of 2D sprite or something

Old 19-05-19, 12:03   #18919
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Anyone know why after using toggle opacity 1 on a door portal, on both sides, Lara still walks through it? I've tried multiple times but it still doesn't work. I've got the door portals setup in a U shape like a fence. I have another room stacked ontop which is the same with 3 door portals for the top of the fence.
Old 19-05-19, 12:05   #18920
OverRaider
Student

have you also applied toggle opacity 1 for those top rooms?
OverRaider is offline   Reply With Quote