www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 15-05-19, 20:49   #1161
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
PS2 games generally hold up better than PS1, as they'd got to the point where it was at least clear what we were supposed to be looking at. I would still say a lot of them straddled this weird fence between cartoony and realistic though, as opposed to actually looking deliberately styled the way they were. In most cases anyway.
Yes that's what I thought as well! I love that semi-cartoony style. It was the best. They just can't recreate that style anymore it appears.
Old 16-05-19, 14:08   #1162
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Another unpopular opinion of mine: I don’t get the love for San Juan in Shadow. It was a nice change from Paititi, but that was it. I had always heard how great it was, but once I actually got to play Shadow, I was really disappointed.

The puzzles are neat, but I wasn’t wowed by it at all.
Old 16-05-19, 16:09   #1163
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Another unpopular opinion of mine: I don’t get the love for San Juan in Shadow. It was a nice change from Paititi, but that was it. I had always heard how great it was, but once I actually got to play Shadow, I was really disappointed.

I must agree about the hub, the village was truly disappointed, very small with nothing to do. The land next to it was same old same old.
However the library to the volcano set piece was really good and Isabella quest was an essential part of the game.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 17-05-19 at 20:54.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 18:53   #1164
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:

Agreed . It looked nice and all , but by that point in the game (even somewhat before it for me) the jungle lost their "wow" factor , it had the exact same time of day , weather and lighting as almost everything that came before it , like , why couldn't have they made Lara arrive in it at dawn and have it raining there ? it would've offered an appreciable contrast to the eternally sunny outdoors that riddled the game . Plus , rain would mean that the construction site/town-y area would be blissfully deserted which would've been so relaxing and needed especially after Kuwak Yaqu and the repugnant Paititi . The town area itself is small , restricted and doesn't offer much (you have all those enticing lovely buildings that you can only stare at without any kind of interaction) .
For me , the only redeeming factor was the library/crypt part , now that was SPECTACULAR .
Old 17-05-19, 20:30   #1165
Lyle Croft
Professor

Unpopular opinion of unpopular opinion.

San Juan IS boring, but idk...it's just less is more I guess. It is kinda pretty.

With Paititi...there's too many people. San Juan has the boring same old same old, but idk!

NOW the abandoned village in Paititi is really good!

I think San Juan was a good mix between abandoned village and Paititi.

TLDR: Paititi is too congested with people.

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 17-05-19 at 20:32.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 20:59   #1166
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
The town area itself is small , restricted and doesn't offer much (you have all those enticing lovely buildings that you can only stare at without any kind of interaction).
OMG yes I felt attack by this. It's like EM showing me a delicious cake I can't eat or even touch. CRUEL.

I think a desert or sandy environment (ala Legend's Peru) would really fit the San Juan area and make a powerful contrast to the rest of the game.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 21:00   #1167
Samz
Professor

Lara playing for Sport and not constantly surviving impossible stuff was an infinitely more relatable character.

Last edited by Samz; 17-05-19 at 21:02.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 22:27   #1168
Lyle Croft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Lara playing for Sport and not constantly surviving impossible stuff was an infinitely more relatable character.
Honestly though...it is. Maybe it was because Core didn't really delve too deep into Lara's character, but damn! I loved how relatable she was into wanting to do things for fun.

She's THAT girl!! Reboot Lara is great, but she really let herself be bogged down by this idea she had to prove something...it's tiring.
Old 17-05-19, 23:06   #1169
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Yeah, Lara should be relatable more by coincidence or accident. What I mean by that is that if you have any of the same personality traits as her, thus enabling you to “relate” to her, it’s purely by coincidence and not because you did your absolute best to make sure she was as relatable as possible to everyone.
Old 17-05-19, 23:24   #1170
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, Lara should be relatable more by coincidence or accident. What I mean by that is that if you have any of the same personality traits as her, thus enabling you to “relate” to her, it’s purely by coincidence and not because you did your absolute best to make sure she was as relatable as possible to everyone.
This is my current gripe with the character. They watered her down so much to achieve this and I just find her insufferably boring.