www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 12-05-19, 09:37   #11
tomee
Tomb Raider

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I read once this was to prevent the gamer from failing, because a lot of Japanese people don't take failure well and they'd rather succeed even if it was at the cost of dumbing the game down.

This might be completely wrong though.
Old 12-05-19, 14:47   #12
ryan91
Professor

OMG imagine a japanese person performing seppuku (the honorable method of taking one's own life) because they fall into some trap or something xD
ryan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 15:10   #13
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan91 View Post
OMG imagine a japanese person performing seppuku (the honorable method of taking one's own life) because they fall into some trap or something xD
uh... I doubt it's that serious. Core was just probably scared they'd get bad reviews in Japan if it was too challenging or something.

Last edited by tomee; 12-05-19 at 15:56. Reason: typo
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 15:51   #14
jackali
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I read once this was to prevent the gamer from failing, because a lot of Japanese people don't take failure well and they'd rather succeed even if it was at the cost of dumbing the game down.

This might be completely wrong though.
That may not have been the reason, but that's my experience too.

Many people I knew during my time there would rather succeed at easy things than have any challenge that came with a risk of failure.
Old 13-05-19, 07:38   #15
Ruu11
Explorer

Lol. didn't know about Spyro's japanese version... eww

Someone knows if AoD enemies in jap ver. are really weaker?
I didn't notice this at all :S
Old 13-05-19, 17:47   #16
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I think it was because western genre games aren't/weren't popular there and Tomb Raider compared to Sonic or Mario is on a completely different planet, so they adjusted difficulty to make it more pleasant to play and thus increase the already small appeal Tomb Raider had in Japan. Players in western countries are accustomed to certain difficulty level and expect the challenge (at least that's how it was in classic Tomb Raider days), but these would likely turn Japanese players away, hence the adjustment.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 03:20   #17
Xopax

May have got something to do with platformers being popular at the time in Japan. (Sonic, Mario) These game have little to no combat.
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 12:15   #18
domino92
Tomb Raider

I love for someone to make a catalogue of each game from that era that was made easier or harder for other markets. I don't think the changes were made for genuine reasons, I think marketing teams just didn't have any understanding of other market's gaming habits and made games easier and harder on a whim. I can't give any examples off the top of my head, but I believe some games that came from Japan ended up harder while others ended up being easier, and vice versa.
Old 16-05-19, 13:19   #19
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

^
TR1 - No difficulty difference on any platforms. + No JP text
TR2345 - Weapon's made stronger in Playstation Japanese version + JP text

The Japanese PC versions of TR1,2,TR2Gold,TR4,TR5 contains the same EXE's as the originals

Japanese TR3 and LA PC both have their own new tomb3.exe's. I'm unsure of the differences.

Japanese TR2-5 on playstation included actual Japanese text. A seperate level file named kanji.psx featured. Assuming it was used for all those extra texture pages!

In the Japanese Playstation version of TR1, there's an extra room in the secret 3x3room with the collapsing tiles over spikes in the Tomb of Qualopec. It's about 1x2 and has a small idol on the floor as decore. I guess the Japanese producers thought this room would have been too difficult without a hiding alcove!
Old 16-05-19, 13:26   #20
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

from an old similar thread about TR1

-As the ingame text wasn't subbed into Japanese, a few words were made more simple such as 'Inventory' becoming 'Tools' etc
-The Sega Saturn JP version has a strange text file in the DATA folder from the Japanese locale team which seems to be a test file for certain levels (have yet to translate it)
-The cheats took me a while to find, they're all different to both the NA and EU version of Tomb Raider. Alot easier to remember and fast to type in too.

All weapons. L1 R1 L2 R2 L2 R1 L1
Skip Level R2 L2 R1 L1 R1 L2 R2