www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-11-18, 18:44   #1
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Default Tomb Raider Glidos Upscale Texture Pack

As seeing the other couple of threads from TR2 and TR3 about the up-scaling modifications, I have taken it as a little side project to work on some up-scaling myself for TR1 which will be compatible with the Glidos engine texture packs and once I have completed them, I will release them on here for everyone to check out and use.

I love Tomb Raider 1 so doing this will be somewhat of a hobby and it will give a sort of face lift to the game, I know there is another up-scale out there but hopefully my take on them will be close as possible to the original while giving a variety of choices for people to choose upon which creator they prefer and also it is good practice for myself.

Home Textures Preview

Peru Textures Preview

Greece Textures Preview

Egypt Textures Preview

Atlantis Textures Preview

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 16-11-18 at 20:56.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 19:29   #2
Dustie
Relic Hunter

These look very promising!! It seems that you are using some automated solution as well, which doesn't sit too good with images that rely on geometry, but for more natural-looking ones it seems pretty effective, even if they turn out a bit cartoonish. Can't wait
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 19:37   #3
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Thanks! It mostly is, i'm hoping to perhaps modify them further after the upscale has been done to them all but having a cartoon-ish look is unavoidable when you use the original as a base and expand upon it but I find since is uses the colors from the base, it is more faithful to the original and it somewhat fits to the style the FMV cutscenes look like. I'm aiming for a December release with them all so it will be something for the community as a gift from me.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 16-11-18 at 19:38.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-18, 01:12   #4
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

These look lovely! You’ve done a fine job of retaining the original looks while ups along and improving them in high-definition. Great work so far!
Old 21-11-18, 18:04   #5
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Thanks! It mostly is, i'm hoping to perhaps modify them further after the upscale has been done to them all but having a cartoon-ish look is unavoidable when you use the original as a base and expand upon it but I find since is uses the colors from the base, it is more faithful to the original and it somewhat fits to the style the FMV cutscenes look like. I'm aiming for a December release with them all so it will be something for the community as a gift from me.
Awesome, can't wait!
Old 21-11-18, 18:50   #6
Saratova
Hobbyist

Just a tip, for waifu2x I'd suggest using waifu2x-caffe which has a 'TTA' option that marginally but noticeably improves detail (the option adjusts the PSNR value (Peak Signal to Noise Ratio) from what I understand). If you have a recent-ish Nvidia GPU (900 series or later) you can also speed up the process using CUDA (which itself requires finding the appropriate DLL).

Examples using the textures from the OP:

As an alternative there's also Topaz Labs' Gigapixel super resolution scaler, a similarly neural network-based program but made for photo-realistic scaling. It's commercial with a trial period however (some of Topaz Labs' other programs use open source projects internally though unsure which super resolution implementation they may be using here). I've seen good results from larger images though personally haven't used it so can't demonstrate how well it would handle these.

Last edited by Saratova; 21-11-18 at 18:53.
Saratova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-18, 21:24   #7
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratova View Post
As an alternative there's also Topaz Labs' Gigapixel super resolution scaler, a similarly neural network-based program but made for photo-realistic scaling. It's commercial with a trial period however (some of Topaz Labs' other programs use open source projects internally though unsure which super resolution implementation they may be using here). I've seen good results from larger images though personally haven't used it so can't demonstrate how well it would handle these.
Oooh, interesting! Paying 99$ for an advanced upscaling solution seems better than paying a similar monthly/yearly fee for an online service to do the same.
Old 21-11-18, 21:41   #8
Famicom
Historian

This thread looks promising.
Old 27-11-18, 17:02   #9
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Thank you everyone, it may take a little past January to get it done now but the suggestions helped with a couple of things and I have worked out a few extra tweaks along with it and I want to perhaps redo them over for now.
Old 29-11-18, 23:23   #10
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Thank you everyone, it may take a little past January to get it done now but the suggestions helped with a couple of things and I have worked out a few extra tweaks along with it and I want to perhaps redo them over for now.
Great!
If you need any help, just ask.