www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 16-12-18, 13:44   #1
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Default Larson & Pierre - Rome Timeline

I thought about making this little thread earlier when I watched the cutscenes in 4K that were recently posted on the forums here and it bought up a rather confusing subject I have always been deep in thought over for the past couple of years and could never really decide on a proper logical answer so I decided to bring it here for discussion with everyone else.

The topic really is focused about the timeline of Chronicles and whereabouts it would be situated with the rest of the Tomb Raider games but more so the Rome section than any other as this is focused on the events that involve Larson and Pierre during their time on the first adventure which happens to seemingly include their demise as well.

Larson was assumed to be mauled to death by the serpent while Pierre seemed to fall to his death in the Colosseum but it is unclear if this happened before or after the events of Tomb Raider 1 but it would not make much sense either way as Lara gunned them both down during that game without much of a second thought.

Coming out alive in both situations seem pretty unlikely but the only hint about Rome's position in the timeline would be from what Winston said: "...and so ends the first of many." which means the adventure in Rome could of well been Lara's first proper adventure which means it would have taken place before the events of Tomb Raider 1.

It is up for discussion anyway, I would love to hear other peoples opinions on this as I am sure it cannot just be me that got puzzled by this.
Old 16-12-18, 14:39   #2
LuigiEspadachin
Archaeologist

Core had actually admitted themselves that they goofed with it, but it's fun to try and consolidate them.

I think it's a bit easier to say it's before rather than after. I mean, Natla's running around even before TR1 and while it's not entirely clear how much of her power she still has, presumably she has at least some. My own personal theory is that, at least in Larson's case, she got people to save him while Lara was busy retrieving the philosopher's stone. I mean, it didn't explicitly show Larson to be dead, cause he was still kicking and screaming when picked up by the serpent. (He's gone when you're actually fighting the serpent) So maybe Natla's men found him and patched him up and roped him into working for her and Lara was busy with fighting the serpent so didn't notice.

Pierre however is a bit harder to reconcile as you heard a snap on impact. I'm thinking either she saved him in mid air and threw something down to throw Lara off, or she revived him later.
Old 16-12-18, 15:34   #3
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Yeah, I gave up on trying to get this right years ago. At least for Pierre you can be rather sure that he fell to his death. I agree, only option for them to show up in TR1 would have been if someone brought them back from the dead.

I settled for the explanation that Chronicles just brought back familiar characters without caring for canon.

Last edited by ANoDE; 16-12-18 at 15:36.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 15:41   #4
LuigiEspadachin
Archaeologist

One theory that occurred to me just now - The story's meant to be being told by Winston who wasn't there at all in the Rome levels. Any inconsistencies you could perhaps just blame on him not remembering the story right. Or maybe Lara embellished it a bit when she told him on the way home.
Old 16-12-18, 16:38   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiEspadachin View Post
One theory that occurred to me just now - The story's meant to be being told by Winston who wasn't there at all in the Rome levels. Any inconsistencies you could perhaps just blame on him not remembering the story right. Or maybe Lara embellished it a bit when she told him on the way home.
I think you’re onto something with both of your theories. They’re probably pretty close to what might have happened. This whole story is a bit hard to fit into the timeline though, it would have been better if they used different characters.
Old 16-12-18, 17:16   #6
LadyTerror0813
Hobbyist

Yeah this was always confusing to me. Unless that bit is supposed to be Winston's imagination, I think it's easier to believe that Chronicles happened before TR1

They never actually show Larson dying, and maybe Pierre survived too somehow?

But when Larson and Lara meet at the start of TR1, Lara was even willing to converse with him. Since they were trying to kill each other in Chronicles, one would assume they'd get into another gunfight right away.
LadyTerror0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 17:37   #7
Kapu
Professor

Feel like we have this conversation about every 6 months...

I think it's usually a 50/50 split. Half say Rome takes place before TR1, the other half say after. The Official Tomb Raider Files says it happens before, but the devs have acknowledged the conflicts.

Here's the full timeline from The Official Tomb Raider Files, transcribed directly from my copy of the book:

The Black Isle (TRC)
Cambodia (TR4)
Rome (TRC)
TR1 & UB
Russian Base (TRC)
TR2 & TGM
TR3 & TLA
VCI (TRC)
TR4

There are more conflicts beyond the Rome issues. Lara already has her backpack in Ireland (pretty minor), and she already has the Iris at her mansion in TR3, even though VCI happened after the events of that game (still minor but irksome).

People often argue that Pierre would have certainly died from the fall in the coliseum, but his supposed death occurs off-screen. We don't actually see it. If there's anything movies/TV/games have taught us about character deaths, it's that you only believe it if you physically watch the character die in front of you. If it happens off-screen, anything is game!
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 19:51   #8
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I'm really enjoying reading through peoples theories so far, there are so many conflicts and possibilities that make sense with this that could actually happen so perhaps we can merge our ideas together and hopefully form a sort of fan based description of the timeline events throughout the entire classic series so then at least we have something we can all agree and look back on and I think even Core Design would be happy with whatever outcome we create.

Sort of like an unofficial official timeline that people can check out on here to see what, when and where certain events occurred in the series itself.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 16-12-18 at 19:53.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 20:37   #9
Brendanlovesu1
Explorer

Interesting thread.
Brendanlovesu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 23:23   #10
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Talking